2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Dimond
Dimond

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Seerix wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 12:26
Dimond wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 11:04
Seerix wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 07:56

Hardly, Lando came out 4,5s ahead of HAM. They easily had at least 2 more laps to order pits however they wanted.
2 more laps and 4.5 would have reduced to 2-3. A small mistake in the pits and he would have rejoined behind HAM on a track where it's very hard to overtake.
No need to add more made up eventualities (slow pitstop) to already made up scenario.
I can make up more scenarios too... 2 more laps and maybe HAM would push more and would make a mistake costing him time.

I'd think teams plan their stops around statistically very likely scenario, which is pitstop below 3s.
I see what you mean though, but I do not think considering issues in boxes is correct.
So, logically you would also support the race leader going for a free pit stop (and the fastest lap) that normally takes around 20 seconds, when the runner up is 22 seconds behind, correct?

Dimond
Dimond

BMMR61 wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 12:56
This is symptomatic of the malaise on that side of the garage. They had laps to spare with an inherently much quicker car with the favoured medium tyres to go on. For some reason they compounded the team order snafu by waiting another two laps to service Oscar.
They had to delay the second pit stops because they only had used medium tires for the last stint.
BMMR61 wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 12:56
We love our team but when you wait 3 years for a 1-2 finish and it's tainted this way..... words can't express it. What "they" did put their drivers through unnecessary stress when an effortless cruise to the chequered flag was given a bitter taste.
There wouldn't be any stress if Lando's race manager was more clear with his driver, and Lando in turn listened to the team orders. Waiting for 1-2 finish for 3 years and losing P2 to Hamilton on the final laps would be more devastating to the team morale.
Unnecessary drama, but on the Internet mostly. Both drivers and the team are okay with it. Btw, Sainz said its also crystal clear for him that Lando must have returned the position back.

Ben1980
Ben1980

The win wasn't tainted.

The team have been based for not making tge most of its opportunities, so they set out to do it. Job done. Maybe a bit cautious, but maybe a nit cautious would have got more points recently.

Lando hanging it out, was pushing it a bit, but, he was always going to give it back. And when Max crashed, it was a given. I could maybe see a point, if Max was gaining, and lando had to drop 5 seconds, he could argue it. But, when that was gone, it was over for him clinging on.

Though do wonder what may have been if he wasn't behind Max then had to fight him for a bit.

But, I still think this is bigger noise on forums than actually in the team.

But Spa has RBR written all over it.

BMMR61

They've smoothed it. Lucky our lads have calmer heads. I don't doubt that tensions will rise between them from a point not far away.

Swed3121
Swed3121

Ben1980 wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 12:38
The win wasn't tainted.

The team have been based for not making tge most of its opportunities, so they set out to do it. Job done. Maybe a bit cautious, but maybe a nit cautious would have got more points recently.

Lando hanging it out, was pushing it a bit, but, he was always going to give it back. And when Max crashed, it was a given. I could maybe see a point, if Max was gaining, and lando had to drop 5 seconds, he could argue it. But, when that was gone, it was over for him clinging on.

Though do wonder what may have been if he wasn't behind Max then had to fight him for a bit.

But, I still think this is bigger noise on forums than actually in the team.

But Spa has RBR written all over it.
Spa however also has Max engine and grid penalty writen all over it.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

mclaren111 wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 11:22
https://f1tcdn.net/images/news/2024/int ... ersus.jpeg

This is not something we see very often... RB = +0.2.... :D :D
That must be including Verstappen’s time in dirty air/stuck behind Hamilton though.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Tvetovnato wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 13:00
mclaren111 wrote:

That must be including Verstappen’s time in dirty air/stuck behind Hamilton though.
And the crash.

mclaren111

FittingMechanics wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 13:12
Tvetovnato wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 13:00
mclaren111 wrote:

And the crash.

Forgot that...

MJIM
MJIM

MasterCard deal announced.. actually forgot about that with the good races we've had!

Macklaren
Macklaren

What a coup for the team!!

Will be very interested to know the size of the deal. "Major sponsor" doesn't sound like title sponsor so maybe not as big as the RBR Oracle or Ferrari HP deals in the $100-150 million range?
Last edited by Macklaren on 24 Jul 2024, 16:45, edited 2 times in total.

Mansell89
Mansell89

Nice- the Mastercard colours really suit our livery too!

Mezger
Mezger

It is time for the team to support Lando and give maximum effort for him to close in on the WDC. He deserves it after his long term commitment.
With a stronger Oscar backing him up it will make the team work harder and in doing so they can easily take the WCC.
As a team effort they can show the sport what they have achieved over the last long years of struggling and aiming to be back on top.
Let's bring home the WDC and WCC in 2024, as a team.

JPower
JPower

Mezger wrote:
24 Jul 2024, 17:18
It is time for the team to support Lando and give maximum effort for him to close in on the WDC. He deserves it after his long term commitment.
With a stronger Oscar backing him up it will make the team work harder and in doing so they can easily take the WCC.
As a team effort they can show the sport what they have achieved over the last long years of struggling and aiming to be back on top.
I don't think modern F1 works like that anymore outside of Red Bull(and Williams in certain cases). No way to verify but I think many drivers have negotiated Barichello/Bottas-type strict #2 roles out of their contracts.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Mezger wrote:
I think it’s too early. With Piastris development curve already being this close to Norris, it’s not certain who is the best long term bet for McLaren. They are not ready to fight for a WDC this year anyhow, neither Norris, Piastri or McLaren, so might as well treat both as fairly they can and then decide should they need. Both are strong enough to bring the WCC home this year however, so better let them do that and let the best man win on a given day. It will benefit the team long term I think.

Alex_Z
Alex_Z

Mezger wrote:
If Lando had won in Barcelona, Imola and Austria, which he should have, I strongly suspect McLaren would have backed him in Hungary to close the WDC gap even further. Lando needs to focus on maximising his own results before looking at the team for handouts.