Bugatti Tourbillon

Breaking news, useful data or technical highlights or vehicles that are not meant to race. You can post commercial vehicle news or developments here.
Please post topics on racing variants in "other racing categories".
OO7
OO7

Re: Bugatti Tourbillon

Holm86 wrote:
26 Jun 2024, 20:23
OO7 wrote:
26 Jun 2024, 00:12
Holm86 wrote:
25 Jun 2024, 18:03
I love the engine and engineering that went into this one, but when it comes to looks I still prefer the Chiron, it's much prettier, this one looks a bit squashed at the front, perhaps I just need to see it in some other colours, and with some better looking wheels
I prefer the Tourbillion myself. I'd like to know what type of crankshaft they are using, as I could quite work it out from the video. Whatever it is, it still sounds like the BRM V16. I don't understand why it (V16 configuration) doesn't have a higher pitch sound than a V12. I'd have expected something like twin flat plane V8 running in concert.

EDIT:
I've just reviewed the video again and can see how the crank layout is different compared to the BRM design, which makes sense given the BRM has a 135° 'V'. To have a BRM style crank, the engine configuration would need to be 135° or 45°. I prefer those crank layouts aesthetically, as you get two cylinders in the same bank that continuously match each others stroke position, like in a flat plane V8 or a V12.
I believe the crankshaft is made up of two 90° cross plane V8's, merged in the middle with a 45° offset
Thanks. I agree, considering the piston movement shown in the video and the 90 degree configuration chosen, that's the only real option

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

AMG.Tzan wrote:
22 Jun 2024, 12:11
Lovely that Bugatti went to a NA V16! Curious to hear it… :shock:

On the other it’s also quite a big change! I’d imagine the engine is twice the length but almost half the width of the old QuadTurbo W16! Is there any side by side images of the engines?
Nah, the old W16 was more like a 2.5x VR6 combined together.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

Oh they did the Optistruct topology optimisation tutorial.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Greg Locock wrote:
18 Jul 2024, 06:51
Oh they did the Optistruct topology optimisation tutorial.
I tend to agree that the design is a little bit "for the show" even if also functional. The rest of the car is the same way, especially the speedometer. It is part of the culture of Bugatti.

gruntguru
gruntguru

Noticing the little hole in the bushing bore. Grease nipple? Didn't think anyone did that any more.

Anyway my thought was - I wonder if they ran all the optimisation routine with that gallery in place or did they add it after? :o
je suis charlie

Greg Locock
Greg Locock

If it is a grease nipple I'll eat my hat - suspension bushings need greasing every 1500 miles, or at least my TR4 did.

Holm86

gruntguru wrote:
23 Jul 2024, 06:04
Noticing the little hole in the bushing bore. Grease nipple? Didn't think anyone did that any more.

Anyway my thought was - I wonder if they ran all the optimisation routine with that gallery in place or did they add it after? :o
OR its just a bolt hole to mount it to the show stand??