2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
BMMR61

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:49
Macklaren wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:45
It's amazing how the things that in the last 5 years people would classify as "bad luck", people around here are calling "omgz incompetent strategy" now. Just like Hungary Oscar needlessly made his life more difficult with his pitstop mistake. As for poor pace in dirty air, EVERYONE had the same problem in the top 10. They need to bring back the old kemmel straight DRS
Also, Mclaren fans behaving spoilt and entitled with commentators suggestions about pace, tin foil hats on if any suggests the team are running fast on Friday. Lando for the WDC... I mean, fans need to get a grip too.
Totally agree, it's been tooo easy for some people to lose themselves. The team said that 2024 they wanted to be in a position to fight for wins, 2025 for championships. Well we're still on for a possible WCC, so we need to be very excited at where we have got to and know that there's a lot being learnt now about how to win, rather than just go fast.

mwillems

chasefreak wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:56
PapayaFan481 wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:54
Ben1980 wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:50

All?
Watching the reply of the start, Lando got away well, it was going off in T1 that cost him.
But that’s always been the issue. He is not able to keep it clean
He keeps it clean, but I don't think he's been very savvy up to and around the first corner, coupled with some slower starts.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

BMMR61 wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:59
mwillems wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
It's amazing how the things that in the last 5 years people would classify as "bad luck", people around here are calling "omgz incompetent strategy" now. Just like Hungary Oscar needlessly made his life more difficult with his pitstop mistake. As for poor pace in dirty air, EVERYONE had the same problem in the top 10. They need to bring back the old kemmel straight DRS
Also, Mclaren fans behaving spoilt and entitled with commentators suggestions about pace, tin foil hats on if any suggests the team are running fast on Friday. Lando for the WDC... I mean, fans need to get a grip too.
Totally agree, it's been tooo easy for some people to lose themselves. The team said that 2024 they wanted to be in a position to fight for wins, 2025 for championships. Well we're still on for a possible WCC, so we need to be very excited at where we have got to and know that there's a lot being learnt now about how to win, rather than just go fast.
It was clear as day that Merc were having issues and were STILL close. I said this on Friday. But yet again Friday is representative according to this forum. Oh, and top speed chart is like reading formula 1 tea leaves.

-Bandit

chasefreak
chasefreak

BMMR61 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
Yes the team says 2025. But by doing that they have excused them self from 2024. That’s the attitude I’m talking abt. The last 3-4 races could have been so different. Literally so different

Darth-Piekus

You know. When Lando Norris was leading this team with his appearances with a much more mediocre car and when Lando got into F1 many considered him to be the new Lewis Hamilton. Now my faith in Lando is wavering. If he continues like this I'm gonna start supporting Oscar. He is such a calmer driver and his racecraft is becoming better. It wont be long before he is the Mika Hakkinnen of the team and Lando becoming David Coulthard. When Mclaren was still struggling the media had us at an ultimatum to give Norris a winning car or else he could go somewhere else. Norris now has a winning car. Where is he? Even if next year they have a dominant car I dont see Norris beating his teammate.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 28 Jul 2024, 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

BMMR61 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Macklaren wrote:
Honestly the WCC is looking more and more likely with each passing race. If Red Bull don't replace Checo then I'd put good money on it....in fact I might lol. Mercedes are now also taking points away from Red Bull, so if we can have a few more races where Mercedes are in between us and Red Bull then that points gap will disappear rather quickly.
If I come across as blunt, I apologise, it's my ASD. Sometimes, like an F1 car aqua-planing, it gets out of my control.

mwillems

Yes we can't lose sight, we are catching Red Bull.

But Merc are catching us, so we need to make sure we stay ahead.

-Bandit

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Darth-Piekus wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 17:05
You know. When Lando Norris was leading this team with his appearances with a much more mediocre car and when Lando got into F1 many considered him to be the new Lewis Hamilton. Now my faith in Lando is wavering. If he continues like this I'm gonna start supporting Oscar. He is such a calmer driver and his racecraft is becoming better. It wont be long before he is the Mika Hakkinnen of the team and Lando becoming David Coulthard. When Mclaren was still struggling the media had us at an ultimatum to give Norris a winning car or else he could go somewhere else. Norris now has a winning car. Where is he? Even if next year they have a dominant car I dont see Norris beating his teammate.
It's sad because it's all about the starts. He's good in quali, has great pace during the races. If he can't fix that, it's over for him

mwillems

Lando will get there. It's never his talent, he's got it in spades and once he's in his groove in the race he is good. His head will get into the right mindset sooner or later and he'll start converting his potential to wins. Still seems to try and snatch at a bit more than he should.

-Bandit

BMMR61

I've been saying it for a long time, Lando needs to get some help on mind management, he is pure talent with marshmallow thinking. It's up to him to get the help he needs, not soul-searching over what he got wrong and further doing his head in. Much potential, change of approach is needed.

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 17:10
Yes we can't lose sight, we are catching Red Bull.

But Mer are catching us, so we need to make sure we stay ahead.
Yea…. Mercedes are doing well and no doubt the latest last 5/6 race points tally will have Merc well ahead but circumstance has helped them out a lot. Merc have basically won the races Mclaren should have.
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

BMMR61 wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 17:20
I've been saying it for a long time, Lando needs to get some help on mind management, he is pure talent with marshmallow thinking. It's up to him to get the help he needs, not soul-searching over what he got wrong and further doing his head in. Much potential, change of approach is needed.
He looked a bit like a beaten man to me after today’s race.
Think the realisation that the WDC has slipped away has just hit him
Just a fan's point of view

BMMR61

So we trimmed another 8 points away from Red Bull, now 43 behind. It's looking very likely McLaren will be WCC if they keep doing the work and their drivers keep it clean. And Oscar has now moved into 4th in the WDC just behind Leclerc, so having our guys 2nd and 3rd would be pretty neat. Not taking anything for granted.

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:52
Ben1980 wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:50
chasefreak wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 16:44
Lando needs to buck up his race starts. So far all starts have been botched up big Time
All?
He's thrown away several places and many points this year. Much more than the 7 points he "lost" from last race.
I dobt think it's ever been his strong point. But, it was more the term All, in a general over the top claim.

BMMR61

CjC wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 17:22
BMMR61 wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 17:20
He looked a bit like a beaten man to me after today’s race.
Think the realisation that the WDC has slipped away has just hit him
Yeah but....
He only lost 2 points to Max (and the opportunity to score big)
And WDC was a distant dream, possible but unlikely. In days gone by these kinds of comebacks were possible but modern F1 cars are virtually 100% reliable. Max drove savvy today like he needed to do "damage limitation" as he said before the race.