2024 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 26 - 28

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Farnborough
Farnborough

Re: 2024 Belgian Grand Prix - Spa-Francorchamps, July 26 - 28

TFSA wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:06
Farnborough wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 18:58
Rules are specific, they have to reach minimum weight AT ALL TIMES that includes when tyres are worn.

This is what they did years ago when running illegally under weight mid race then refuelling near end, I believe.

Same team though Tyrell originally now MB
I fail to see the comparisons to the refueling at end of race since cars are weighed without fuel these days, and refueling has been banned.

I simply don't think minimum weight and tire strategies are two things that should have anything to do with each other, and I can't find a good argument for why it should be in the first place. The tires are spec parts (with the exception of the lug nuts), and having drivers collect pebbles at the end of a race for the purpose of weight gain already seems like a dubious practice - just do away with it.

There's no good reason you can't weigh a car with fresh tires fitted to ensure consistency.
As I understand it, this is why the rules are as such nowadays.

Remove all fuel, the rest has to reach minimum weight.

There were legendary stories in this area of scrutiny, levels of fluids allowed to be topped up post race, mechanics "leaving" tools in behind pedals or other structures if there was a re-check of suspect weight needing confirmation :mrgreen:

Its simple now all the car that finished, minus any propellant fuel. Thats it, clear and simple. Any infringement and you're out.

fourmula1
fourmula1

TFSA wrote:
Farnborough wrote:
Rules are specific, they have to reach minimum weight AT ALL TIMES that includes when tyres are worn.

This is what they did years ago when running illegally under weight mid race then refuelling near end, I believe.

I fail to see the comparisons to the refueling at end of race since cars are weighed without fuel these days, and refueling has been banned.

I simply don't think minimum weight and tire strategies are two things that should have anything to do with each other, and I can't find a good argument for why it should be in the first place. The tires are spec parts (with the exception of the lug nuts), and having drivers collect pebbles at the end of a race for the purpose of weight gain already seems like a dubious practice - just do away with it.

There's no good reason you can't weigh a car with fresh tires fitted to ensure consistency.
lol guys it's basically universal across all series and club racing, etc that you have to come off track above minimum weight.

Mogster

Farnborough wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:12
TFSA wrote:
Farnborough wrote:

There were legendary stories in this area of scrutiny, levels of fluids allowed to be topped up post race, mechanics "leaving" tools in behind pedals or other structures if there was a re-check of suspect weight needing confirmation :mrgreen:

Its simple now all the car that finished, minus any propellant fuel. Thats it, clear and simple. Any infringement and you're out.
Hamilton did radio to say there was something banging around in the cockpit early on… :D

Farnborough
Farnborough

Mogster wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:24
Farnborough wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:12
TFSA wrote:

Hamilton did radio to say there was something banging around in the cockpit early on… :D
That was the spanner that was supposed to be left in George's car :mrgreen:

simieski
simieski

This would have been a really anticlimactic first win in a while if it wasn’t for silverstone.
Thank you to God for making me an Atheist - Ricky Gervais.

Luscion
Luscion

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

If I'm Lewis Hamilton, the side eye from me is going to be unreal.

Because if this track had a cool down lap and George pickup up rubbish on his tyres and passed the weigh in, it means I went through quali and the race with near 2KG more weight on.my car than my team mate did, still qualified better, raced better and got a win taken from me without me ever noticing....if not for the lack of cool down lap.....

And I'd need to know why immediately.

venkyhere
venkyhere

GrizzleBoy wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:37

Because if this track had a cool down lap and George pickup up rubbish on his tyres and passed the weigh in, it means I went through quali and the race with near 2KG more weight on.my car than my team mate did, still qualified better, raced better and got a win taken from me without me ever noticing....if not for the lack of cool down lap.....

Mate, it's impossible to pickup 1.5kg of rubber with 4 tyres in one lap.

Spacepace

GrizzleBoy wrote:

Hamilton had a better setup for the wet qualifying so you have to add that to it as well

Dunlay
Dunlay

That's a mega drive and mega race awareness and management skills there from George. =D>

He schooled everyone with those qualities today. No swearing, shouting or any of that nonsense. Great job.

organic

What drama. Lewis gets another race win. Amazing

organic

Dunlay wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:48
That's a mega drive and mega race awareness and management skills there from George. =D>

He schooled everyone with those qualities today. No swearing, shouting or any of that nonsense. Great job.
Yes amazing from George, also check the latest F1 news

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

venkyhere wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:42
GrizzleBoy wrote:

Mate, it's impossible to pickup 1.5kg of rubber with 4 tyres in one lap.
Have you seen how much rubber they pick up when they do the whole "run wide to pick up, please" on the cool down lap? It's often a layer of rubber deeper than that which has been worn from the individual tyres.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Dunlay
Dunlay

organic wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:52
Dunlay wrote:

Has something changed? Was he swearing excessively as per the latest F1 news or was it some other race that he took a bold strategy call and churn out a brilliant performance?

If it's about car weight issue, do you think Max was responsible for cost cap breach that gave unfair advantage to Red Bull in 2021/22? :lol:

langedweil

Dunlay wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:57
organic wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:52
Dunlay wrote:

Has something changed? Was he swearing excessively as per the latest F1 news or was it some other race that he took a bold strategy call and churn out a brilliant performance?

If it's about car weight issue, do you think Max was responsible for cost cap breach that gave unfair advantage to Red Bull in 2021/22? :lol:
Something did ..
HuggaWugga !