2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
bluechris

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Matt2725 wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 23:14
JordanMugen wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 22:59
GrizzleBoy wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 21:54
So for some reason, George had a car that was a couple kg lighter than it should have been at all competitive parts of the weekend, given nothing is allowed to be changed as soon as the car leaves the garage in Q1.
Yes, a very elementary error for Mercedes GP despite being an experienced race team with 26 years in Formula One.

But they will fix it and make sure not to repeat it, presumably.

I do wonder if it's tyre tread wear and lack of pickup from no cooldown lap contributing to the 375g discrepancy per tyre
(1.5kg/4), but Mercedes GP haven't admitted that (yet) if so. :?: :)
Merc have been quoted as stating they believe it was tyre wear.

https://x.com/chrismedlandf1/status/181 ... 239564432?
The water that the driver drinks, we know how much is it or if it is drained also for the weight measurement?
Maybe Russel drunk it all....

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

organic wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 23:04
Venturiation wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 22:14
AR3-GP wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 22:12
Russell had no tire deg.

https://i.postimg.cc/QVLKjvSR/image.png
Confirms hamilton's comment on being pitted when tyres were still fresh
Shame then as he could've easily done the same as Russell, not that it matters now
In hindsight, all teams would have run a onestopper as that was obviously the best thing to do with the extremely low wear and track position being key.

Matt2725
Matt2725

bluechris wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 23:16
Matt2725 wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:

Yes, a very elementary error for Mercedes GP despite being an experienced race team with 26 years in Formula One.

I do wonder if it's tyre tread wear and lack of pickup from no cooldown lap contributing to the 375g discrepancy per tyre

The water that the driver drinks, we know how much is it or if it is drained also for the weight measurement?
All fluids are drained to my knowledge.

atanatizante

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 21:42
Hamilton was down 4km/h in qualifying. Was it not established that he had a higher downforce beam wing? Beam wing doesn't come down when the DRS opens.

Actually he was at least 7 kph down...

Some reasons behind the RUS' underweight car:
1. The car lost some pieces/parts during the race
2. Horner said they calculated the tyre loss weight on Friday to be about 1kg ... VER did 49 laps and PER did 45 laps
3. RUS' team left out 1.5kg of fuel, maybe left after the qualy, and then weight the car thinking it's all the fuel was drained
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

atanatizante wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 23:24
AR3-GP wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 21:42
Hamilton was down 4km/h in qualifying. Was it not established that he had a higher downforce beam wing? Beam wing doesn't come down when the DRS opens.
https://freeimage.host/

Actually he was at least 7 kph down...
I said qualifying which was when DRS was closed. Russell had "extra speed" built into in his non-DRS assisted car.

leblanc
leblanc

JordanMugen wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:55
A superb race victory by Lewis Hamilton as it turns out! 105 wins! :D

[Russell disqualified for underweight car obviously. An unusual error. :) ]

leblanc wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:46
They probably didn't expect so much mass loss due to tire wear on a one-stop
Is it really due to 375g wear per tyre? Curious if true! :!: :)
The tires (or tyres :D ) are about 8.5kg front and 10kg rear. So, 1.5kg is only about 4% the mass of all four tires. Totally possible. Looks like it's the leading theory now, anyway, lol.

Farnborough
Farnborough

leblanc wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 23:54
JordanMugen wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:55
A superb race victory by Lewis Hamilton as it turns out! 105 wins! :D

[Russell disqualified for underweight car obviously. An unusual error. :) ]

leblanc wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:46
They probably didn't expect so much mass loss due to tire wear on a one-stop
Is it really due to 375g wear per tyre? Curious if true! :!: :)
The tires (or tyres :D ) are about 8.5kg front and 10kg rear. So, 1.5kg is only about 4% the mass of all four tires. Totally possible. Looks like it's the leading theory now, anyway, lol.
There can be any theory offered, but it's either incompetence or intent that gets to this point.

They've accepted incompetence as it would be unwise to claim intent along with attendant penalty :D

It really isn't that hard to comply, just how close to the knuckle they're willing to expose their ultimate results to the vagueries of unnoticed or unaccounted for elements.

GSBellew
GSBellew

bluechris wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 23:16
Matt2725 wrote:
JordanMugen wrote:

In which case it would be in Russel when weighed or flowing about in the tub.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Track temperature was around 43C and the W15 appeared to keep degradation in control. Seems like all the mechanical things are working with their recent, under the hood, upgrades. In terms of overall performance, they are still behind McLaren and Red Bull. Spa was mostly a case of those two underperforming. Mercedes have some head scratching to do for their latest upgrades not providing expected outcomes.

Luscion
Luscion

Dunlay wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 04:01
Track temperature was around 43C and the W15 appeared to keep degradation in control. Seems like all the mechanical things are working with their recent, under the hood, upgrades. In terms of overall performance, they are still behind McLaren and Red Bull. Spa was mostly a case of those two underperforming. Mercedes have some head scratching to do for their latest upgrades not providing expected outcomes.
Upgrades weren't the problem, it was mechanical issues the found and fixed but decided to go back to a spec they had a lot of data on because of limited running, upgrades will be back on in Zandvoort

PlatinumZealot

GrizzleBoy wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:25
If I'm Lewis, I'm not going to give a damn about how it feels to get the win here.

If I'm Lewis, the biggest thing I want to know is why I'm racing on saturday and sunday with a car approaching 2kg heavier than.that of my team mate, given that every kg removed lowers laptime by a tenth or so which amounts to seconds in total at the end of the race.

How many times could this have happened at tracks where there was a cool down lap to pick up rubber and nobody would have noticed?

And considering the gap was 0.5 at the chequered flag and that he could have had a couple.more laps to attempt to.pass.

And that's before we even talk about Lewis saying they switched their strategies without telling him.

Or the seeming lack of any chatter about whether George was on the one stop and what he needed pushing wise to maintain his lead.

And then there's Lewis concluding early on that his car will not be faster than George's on Saturdays this year.

It all has a bit of a poo poo smell to it.
Hmm. One would wonder if George was qualifying lighter all the season long? :idea:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

PlatinumZealot

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:54
xaero wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:45
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:36
So that's 2 races now where Russell was ahead of Hamilton , but Hamilton won and Russell DNF'd for reasons that weren't his fault..

The points race between them is over. George did his job , his team didnt. In a year or less , some fans will say hamilton dog walked Russell in 2024. But it's just not true of course
Neither he as leading GBR when he retired nor he was winning today until team betrayed Ham. I will say it poetic justice :lol:
Russell was on the pole that race. And issues with the car started on lap 4. And I was just saying he was ahead at one point , not at the time of retirement.

"poetic justice lol" Stay classy. There will be some poetic justice in the next half of the session alright.
We are in Hamilton's "Purple patch" of the season now. In it he is performs better and his luckyness stat skyrockets! (then declines dramatically at the end of it unfortuantely!)

He seems to have lucked out today too.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Tommy.G
Tommy.G

Now imagine if both Mercedes had done the one stop strategy and ended up 1-2… :oops:

Quantum

Russell does a 34 lap stint on the hard tyre on what every team said was excessive wear due to new tarmac.
It stands to reason those tyres will not have as much rubber on them as a set that's done 15 laps less.
Around Spa. The longest circuit in F1. (7km x 15) 105kms more.
"Interplay of triads"

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

PlatinumZealot wrote:
29 Jul 2024, 07:38
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:54
xaero wrote:
28 Jul 2024, 19:45

Neither he as leading GBR when he retired nor he was winning today until team betrayed Ham. I will say it poetic justice :lol:
Russell was on the pole that race. And issues with the car started on lap 4. And I was just saying he was ahead at one point , not at the time of retirement.

"poetic justice lol" Stay classy. There will be some poetic justice in the next half of the session alright.
We are in Hamilton's "Purple patch" of the season now. In it he is performs better and his luckyness stat skyrockets! (then declines dramatically at the end of it unfortuantely!)

He seems to have lucked out today too.
He's usually better after the summer break... Can't wait to see this