2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Waz
Waz

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

-wkst- wrote:
20 Aug 2024, 10:11
https://www.motorsportweek.com/2024/08/ ... exibility/

They posted the same a week ago. Fallows must have talked to some media, maybe already in Spa.

Building 2 and 3 should open shortly, important especially for the staffs well-being (restaurant, gym, etc.) and AMR technology people will move from building 1 into building 2 (over 100 people). Wind tunnel guys will also have a better time I guess, once the tunnel is fully operational, when they can do the stuff during the week and not only on weekends (like currently in the Merc tunnel).

I read that the last "factory update video" was already made at the week of the British GP, when journalists were also invited. So nearly 2 months old...
This is so heavily overlooked : most of the wind tunnel work can only be done on weekends; while they actually have enough WT allowance to run around 8 hours a day, 5 to 6 days a week.

Not including any work allowed for cooling systems and internal components. They're missing out in a big way.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Ashwinv16 wrote:
21 Aug 2024, 04:09
There are a few people saying that there is a good chance the Hungary GP package is not the full upgrades and the sidepods, rear wing coming. Some guy explained that the high drag encountered by Aston was in Spa was due to this as the floor is now high drag and downforce and the sidepods and rear wing is meant to bring the efficiency back. From Hungary it's clear that the car has pace in low downforce and is now good with tyres. They could spring a massive surprise at the Dutch gp. The only thing is I don't think there is a rear wing upgrade till monza but let's see.

https://twitter.com/ChickenSaMo/status/ ... ></script>
The video you shared says there is at least sidepods and weight reduction (packaging) coming at the Dutch GP. On the contrary I've heard from others that nothing is coming this weekend, so... we'll see who gets it right then
Last edited by KimiRai on 21 Aug 2024, 17:45, edited 1 time in total.

SSJ4
SSJ4

regardless of updates or not. should be similar to canada. expect the car to go well. also fernando seems to be very good at this track going by his past performances with alpine and aston martin

-wkst-
-wkst-

KimiRai wrote:
21 Aug 2024, 17:14
Ashwinv16 wrote:
21 Aug 2024, 04:09
There are a few people saying that there is a good chance the Hungary GP package is not the full upgrades and the sidepods, rear wing coming. Some guy explained that the high drag encountered by Aston was in Spa was due to this as the floor is now high drag and downforce and the sidepods and rear wing is meant to bring the efficiency back. From Hungary it's clear that the car has pace in low downforce and is now good with tyres. They could spring a massive surprise at the Dutch gp. The only thing is I don't think there is a rear wing upgrade till monza but let's see.

https://twitter.com/ChickenSaMo/status/ ... ></script>
The video you shared says there is at least sidepods and weight reduction (packaging) coming at the Dutch GP. On the contrary I've heard from others that nothing is coming this weekend, so... we'll see who gets it right then
I have no idea if they bring new parts, but I don’t see videos from random YouTube guys, with 47 clicks in 3 days, as a serious source…

KimiRai
KimiRai

-wkst- wrote:
21 Aug 2024, 17:51
I have no idea if they bring new parts, but I don’t see videos from random YouTube guys, with 47 clicks in 3 days, as a serious source…
@Ashwinv16 apparently does ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I agree it's not much different from the AI news article that was posted yesterday. Most voices say that nothing important should come to Zandvoort and that any news should arrive a bit later instead. But who knows... I'm just curious to see who has the right information when the time comes, nothing more :) @Ashwinv16 has been right a few times in the past so I'll give him a chance.

I've made a list of all the journalists and news outlets (that I can manage) from different countries and I have been keeping tabs on what they 've gotten right and wrong about Aston Martin in the last year or so. That is why I am interested. I think Ferrari fans should do something similar by the way :lol:

Elite
Elite

KimiRai wrote:
20 Aug 2024, 20:18
GoranF1 wrote:
20 Aug 2024, 19:44
Hopefully this is fake.....

https://lux.carmagazine.tv/my-son-stay- ... t-phucdat/
It's fake, probably AI. Broken english. Same website says AM fired Alonso :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/gMhyUdS.png

What I find funny is how you ended up there :D
Maybe they were watching naughty videos :lol: :lol:

Some of the links with photos on the top of that website were a bit disgusting :?

GoranF1
GoranF1

Elite wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 12:13
KimiRai wrote:
20 Aug 2024, 20:18
GoranF1 wrote:
20 Aug 2024, 19:44
Hopefully this is fake.....

https://lux.carmagazine.tv/my-son-stay- ... t-phucdat/
It's fake, probably AI. Broken english. Same website says AM fired Alonso :lol:

https://i.imgur.com/gMhyUdS.png

What I find funny is how you ended up there :D
Maybe they were watching naughty videos :lol: :lol:

Some of the links with photos on the top of that website were a bit disgusting :?
The article was on Facebook.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

KimiRai
KimiRai

No upgrades for Aston Martin in Zandvoort. It seems the no upgrades camp won! Congratulations to the winners :D

KimiRai
KimiRai

Fernando Alonso says it “doesn't matter” if Aston Martin finishes in lower points-paying places in the upcoming 2024 Formula 1 races, as he would rather it prioritised 2025 car improvement.

Aston has not finished higher than fifth in the 2024 season so far – which it has only done once, at the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix – and it has failed to repeat its podium-securing form from 2023.

While rivals such as McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes have made big gains since the start of that season, Aston also had its major Imola floor, front wing and diffuser upgrade package backfire, which meant it was forced to reset its development path.

This started with further front wing, floor and diffusers changes being introduced at the Hungarian GP shortly before the summer break, while Alonso has now suggested that Aston’s poor results at Barcelona and Austria (the only races other than Monaco where the British team has failed to score in 2024) were down to “some mistakes on the car configurations” in terms of set-up.

When asked how he was setting his expectations for the second part of the 2024 season that is getting underway at Zandvoort this weekend, Alonso replied: “Ninth and 10th, every race, is what we fight for.

“[The] top four teams are between 30 and 45 seconds in front of us every race. To be in the top eight, we need a DNF from the cars in front.

“So, yeah, to secure that ninth and 10th is not that easy. In fact, we never did in the last few races [either Alonso or his team-mate Lance Stroll were 11th in Hungary and Spa].

“Yeah, I think scoring points and being in Q3 will be the target every weekend. But this is in terms of results and things that you can see.

“In the background, we have a lot of test items, a lot of ideas in the car that we want to test in preparation for next year's car and things like that.

“So, that will be my biggest motivation or my biggest hope for the remaining ten races – to have a good understanding of many of the question marks we have and finish the season with a clear idea.

“It doesn't matter if we are in the points or not, but we need to make sure that we start next year on the proper path.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alon ... /10646495/

Rikrikrik
Rikrikrik

KimiRai wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 14:54
Fernando Alonso says it “doesn't matter” if Aston Martin finishes in lower points-paying places in the upcoming 2024 Formula 1 races, as he would rather it prioritised 2025 car improvement.

Aston has not finished higher than fifth in the 2024 season so far – which it has only done once, at the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix – and it has failed to repeat its podium-securing form from 2023.

While rivals such as McLaren, Ferrari and Mercedes have made big gains since the start of that season, Aston also had its major Imola floor, front wing and diffuser upgrade package backfire, which meant it was forced to reset its development path.

This started with further front wing, floor and diffusers changes being introduced at the Hungarian GP shortly before the summer break, while Alonso has now suggested that Aston’s poor results at Barcelona and Austria (the only races other than Monaco where the British team has failed to score in 2024) were down to “some mistakes on the car configurations” in terms of set-up.

When asked how he was setting his expectations for the second part of the 2024 season that is getting underway at Zandvoort this weekend, Alonso replied: “Ninth and 10th, every race, is what we fight for.

“[The] top four teams are between 30 and 45 seconds in front of us every race. To be in the top eight, we need a DNF from the cars in front.

“So, yeah, to secure that ninth and 10th is not that easy. In fact, we never did in the last few races [either Alonso or his team-mate Lance Stroll were 11th in Hungary and Spa].

“Yeah, I think scoring points and being in Q3 will be the target every weekend. But this is in terms of results and things that you can see.

“In the background, we have a lot of test items, a lot of ideas in the car that we want to test in preparation for next year's car and things like that.

“So, that will be my biggest motivation or my biggest hope for the remaining ten races – to have a good understanding of many of the question marks we have and finish the season with a clear idea.

“It doesn't matter if we are in the points or not, but we need to make sure that we start next year on the proper path.”
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/alon ... /10646495/
They did this last year and we know where they stay now. They dont know what need they do, AMR23 was a RB19 copy and after that front wing was banned they lost any ideia, after that, never improve it

KimiRai
KimiRai

Rikrikrik wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 16:44
They did this last year and we know where they stay now. They dont know what need they do, AMR23 was a RB19 copy and after that front wing was banned they lost any ideia, after that, never improve it
Do you want them to give up because they've failed in the past? They will keep trying until they succeed, there is simply no other way to progress.

ispano6

diffuser wrote:
21 Aug 2024, 07:39
ispano6 wrote:
21 Aug 2024, 06:03
diffuser wrote:
16 Aug 2024, 01:11

Non of that is built by Honda. The block was also redesigned prior to leaving McLaren.
What are you talking about? RBR developed nothing about the current block for RB18-21. Honda designed the block to mate to their gearbox. Adrian Newey has already credited working with Honda as a reason for their success. I wouldn't expect anything less with the AMR collab.
Nope, rules say the ICE connection to the gearbox is standard. You could connect the Merc, McLaren or Ferrari gearbox to it. Of course once you get past the connection to the ICE, you can do what you want with the gearbox sizing. The gearbox connections to the rear suspension are specific to the team though.
Nope? Honda didn't design their own engine block? Ok. We can end discussion here.

diffuser

ispano6 wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 17:52
diffuser wrote:
ispano6 wrote:
21 Aug 2024, 06:03

What are you talking about? RBR developed nothing about the current block for RB18-21. Honda designed the block to mate to their gearbox. Adrian Newey has already credited working with Honda as a reason for their success. I wouldn't expect anything less with the AMR collab.
Nope, rules say the ICE connection to the gearbox is standard. You could connect the Merc, McLaren or Ferrari gearbox to it. Of course once you get past the connection to the ICE, you can do what you want with the gearbox sizing. The gearbox connections to the rear suspension are specific to the team though.
Nope? Honda didn't design their own engine block? Ok. We can end discussion here.
The "Nope" refers to them NOT redesigning the block for RBR, not that they didn't "design it". It was still the same ICE they had just finished completely redesigning when they were still with McLaren. They of course made fixes and performance improvements but it was NOT redesigned from the ground up.

Prior to the 2017 season, the PU token regs prevented Honda from redesigning the whole PU. For example, lets say you want to redesign the block but in order to make the block design perfect you need to change how it connected to the heads, well if you didn't have enough tokens, you could NOT change the block and the heads. You had to change the block but keep everything that connected to the heads the same. It was a very difficult process if you wanted to make any major design changes. Once it was announced they were going to remove the token system for 2017 season, Honda completely redesigned the PU from A-Z. That of course led to a ton of NEW reliability problems that took them about 2 - 3 years to work out.

diffuser

Interview with Alonso at formula uno. Nothing on upgrades.

https://formu1a.uno/it/alonso-un-onore- ... a-ferrari/

ispano6

diffuser wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 19:05
ispano6 wrote:
22 Aug 2024, 17:52
diffuser wrote:

The "Nope" refers to them NOT redesigning the block for RBR, not that they didn't "design it". It was still the same ICE they had just finished completely redesigning when they were still with McLaren. They of course made fixes and performance improvements but it was NOT redesigned from the ground up.

Prior to the 2017 season, the PU token regs prevented Honda from redesigning the whole PU. For example, lets say you want to redesign the block but in order to make the block design perfect you need to change how it connected to the heads, well if you didn't have enough tokens, you could NOT change the block and the heads. You had to change the block but keep everything that connected to the heads the same. It was a very difficult process if you wanted to make any major design changes. Once it was announced they were going to remove the token system for 2017 season, Honda completely redesigned the PU from A-Z. That of course led to a ton of NEW reliability problems that took them about 2 - 3 years to work out.
My response to you was for the comment on your stance on Honda. You seemed to have an issue with them teaming up with AMR as being some kind of weaker link? Compared to Mercedes powerunits?