2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Luscion wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 16:06
DGP123 wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 16:03
Not great for Merc. Poor from Ham with snaps at T1/8, and Russell showing the car is half a second away.
Both having a hard time keeping the rear end from constantly stepping out, its like the Merc from last year. Car seems much worse than it was yesterday but i guess this was the only real dry session. Still poor from Lewis though
I was saying on reddit how it was setting up for a bit of a disaster with RUS having the floor first. You could tell after FP2 that HAM wasn’t happy with the setup or maybe floor probably because he inherited RUS setup from FP1. Not being able to validate the overnight changes in FP3 sealed the deal.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Luscion
Luscion

j_ste wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 16:09
This has to be their worst collective qualifying since May?
i'd say so, car looked like it regressed to a W14

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Luscion wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 16:17

Teams only had 1 free practice session this weekend.

Dunlay
Dunlay

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 16:25
Luscion wrote:

DIdn't McLaren have put upgrades on their car? Not just that their upgrade seemed to have delivered, but they have managed to test and setup with the same time available for everyone else. Mercedes still don't fully understand the car I guess.

Luscion
Luscion

AR3-GP wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 16:25
Luscion wrote:

Yea, i did mention that in my previous post, barely any running in a wet fp3 after making the changes with Lewis not getting any proper run time at all. its down to a setup that just didnt work out and now the car is understeering and oversteering. they were competitive yesterday, even Lando was saying Merc were faster and they had work to do overnight.
Last edited by Luscion on 24 Aug 2024, 16:32, edited 1 time in total.

Lasssept

Luscion
Luscion

its going to be ok Toto, dont cry

Luscion
Luscion

Apparently, Merc had the highest top speed too - that just seems wrong.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Luscion
Luscion

atanatizante

Did they use the SPA upgrades in qualy after all? I mean the situation resembles the SPA weekend when they decided to use the Silverstone spec car ...

Now RUS said on Sky F1 after the qualy that there were at least 2 factors that contributed to these poor results: the car is sensitive to crosswinds and the track temp was lowering constantly by 2 centigrades for each session requiring adjusting the out-lap tyre prep which unfortunately didn't went well for them ...

That seems a little bit curious to me bearing in mind that HAM was the fastest in Q1, looking strong on the track and being one of the four drivers (NOR, PIA, VER) group which were using only a set of softs. Then on the other side, RUS was 13th after the first hot lap with some 8-tenths slower and moaning he had no grip.

On another note, both HAM and RUS seem to me that they went for a lower DF setup, for topping the second and third top speed on the main straight. So they are prepared for a dry race tomorrow...

Regarding the strategy for tomorrow if it`s dry it`ll be an obvious 1-stop race with a probably M-H tyre option for the top drivers on the grid. And maybe HAM will use the same strategy as in 2022, starting on the hards and going long in the first stint ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

Luscion
Luscion

atanatizante wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 17:09
Did they use the SPA upgrades in qualy after all? I mean the situation resembles the SPA weekend when they decided to use the Silverstone spec car ...

Now RUS said on Sky F1 after the qualy that there were at least 2 factors that contributed to these poor results: the car is sensitive to crosswinds and the track temp was lowering constantly by 2 centigrades for each session requiring adjusting the out-lap tyre prep which unfortunately didn't went well for them ...

That seems a little bit curious to me bearing in mind that HAM was the fastest in Q1, looking strong on the track and being one of the four drivers (NOR, PIA, VER) group which were using only a set of softs. Then on the other side, RUS was 13th after the first hot lap with some 8-tenths slower and moaning he had no grip.

On another note, both HAM and RUS seem to me that they went for a lower DF setup, for topping the second and third top speed on the main straight. So they are prepared for a dry race tomorrow...

Regarding the strategy for tomorrow if it`s dry it`ll be an obvious 1-stop race with a probably M-H tyre option for the top drivers on the grid. And maybe HAM will use the same strategy as in 2022, starting on the hards and going long in the first stint ...
They both had the upgrades on since fp2, which they seemed competitive during, so much so that Lando said Merc were the fastest and that Mclaren had work to do overnight. Whatever they did to the setup overnight made the car worse so its not the upgrades imo. George statement about the crosswinds contradicts what Allison said about how their car is the least affected by winds but that was months ago so maybe things have changed. Lewis said the balance just got worse and worse as the session went on with the car just getting more snappy and oversteery

Yup

PlatinumZealot

Meh. I am happy with the Silverstone win. Everything else in 2024 is a bonus for Merc. I think George also won in Austria too. So even Toto can be satisfied with 2024.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

So is Lewis going to be penalized for impeding checo?

Looked to me checo bailed out too early. He had room to take the corner and the fact he let off makes it seem it was impeding.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Hammerfist wrote:
24 Aug 2024, 19:11
So is Lewis going to be penalized for impeding checo?

Looked to me checo bailed out too early. He had room to take the corner and the fact he let off makes it seem it was impeding.
I think Checo is right. Hamilton looked like he didn't see him and that he will enter the racing line. You only need that to happen once and you have a massive crash.

Hamilton could have stopped outside the racing line or used throttle to go over it quickly before Perez appears.

But I don't think it will be a penalty.