2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Rikrikrik
Rikrikrik

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

xReVo wrote:
27 Aug 2024, 13:29
If Newey doesn't arrive, in my opinion this team won't even reach the top 10 next year.
Next year? Dude, they will dont reach top 10 next week.

collindsilva
collindsilva

Rikrikrik wrote:
27 Aug 2024, 14:30
xReVo wrote:
If Newey doesn't arrive, in my opinion this team won't even reach the top 10 next year.
There should be major upgrade coming after next GP, which will determine the next year trajectory.
They are taking their time in testing the upgrades before introducing to avoid the previous failures.

diffuser

quincalla wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 20:21
Updated the graph. It was the worst race of the season by this metric.
https://i.imgur.com/jLkDHAG.png
What is that metric?

Rikrikrik
Rikrikrik

Carlos Miquel, the spanish journalist said . AM is divided in two teams again, like last year ( where factory team had an ideias to development and the track team had other ideias) but now, some people would like develope their own ideias and the other side would like copy the other teams, specially mclaren , and Alonso's "spying" the mclaren's floor was a message to the team saying " i prefer u copy the other cars".

SSJ4
SSJ4

idk what processes they have but two years in a row over winter they've built a competitive car. then ruined it with in season development

also all teams in theory copy from one another. mclaren straight up copied red bulls floor from last year and improved on it. also formu1auno saying there new windtunell allows them to simulate higher angles of yaw which is obviously helping them

xReVo
xReVo

collindsilva wrote:
27 Aug 2024, 14:34
Rikrikrik wrote:
xReVo wrote:
There should be major upgrade coming after next GP, which will determine the next year trajectory.
They are taking their time in testing the upgrades before introducing to avoid the previous failures.
I don't think so, they said the same at the end of 23 and it showed. I don't think they even know what to do.

diffuser

Rikrikrik wrote:
27 Aug 2024, 16:36
Carlos Miquel, the spanish journalist said . AM is divided in two teams again, like last year ( where factory team had an ideias to development and the track team had other ideias) but now, some people would like develope their own ideias and the other side would like copy the other teams, specially mclaren , and Alonso's "spying" the mclaren's floor was a message to the team saying " i prefer u copy the other cars".
That just sounds like the journalist is getting something wrong. Sounds like when my father inlaw asks me a question about computers, I explain it, then I hear him explaining it to someone else and it's all wrong ....It's illegal to copy parts, the way you need to copy them, to make the "COPIED" part work and McLaren isn't just gonna volunteer their car to be laser scanned. You copy ideas but that still means putting them in the wind tunnel to get them to work with your car.

The track team don't develop, they can say whatever they want but they can't make parts. The track teams opinion matters to as point. In the end the track team telling the factory how to do things is equivalent to me telling the God how the world should be.

It is my opinion that, for the most part, the PHDs are in the factory and all the guys not good enough to be in the factor are part of the race team.

KimiRai
KimiRai

When this team was small & had fewer resources it worked much more efficiently and even had better results than today after the massive hiring campaign and infrastructure, which should be increasing the potential ceiling but it is currently not being as effective in getting close to it. It's time to rename the team to Force India :lol:

All this talk of opposing sides in the team about what needs to be done that we've heard for a while... Maybe this is when you need someone whose qualities give him the bird's eye view on the whole operation that the two sides lack and steer the ship on the right course. A multi-faceted genius perhaps...

peewon

KimiRai wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 04:24
When this team was small & had fewer resources it worked much more efficiently and even had better results than today after the massive hiring campaign and infrastructure, which should be increasing the potential ceiling but it is currently not being as effective in getting close to it. It's time to rename the team to Force India :lol:

All this talk of opposing sides in the team about what needs to be done that we've heard for a while... Maybe this is when you need someone whose qualities give him the bird's eye view on the whole operation that the two sides lack and steer the ship on the right course. A multi-faceted genius perhaps...
Thats because the people at the top (Fallows in this case) have to have a clear technical vision for others to follow and buy into. If the people leading seem directionless, everyone tries to push their own ideas. It has to be a technical lead too. Someone like Krack cant do it. And quality always matters more over quantity when your trying to push the limit of performance.

Fallows maybe an excellent aerodynamicist but its been obvious since last summer that he does not have a clear development path in mind for this current ruleset. Maybe he'll stumble into it. Maybe he'll get inspiration from some other team. Time will tell.

OnEcRiTiCaL
OnEcRiTiCaL

collindsilva wrote:
27 Aug 2024, 14:34
Rikrikrik wrote:
xReVo wrote:
Deja vu

quincalla
quincalla

diffuser wrote:
27 Aug 2024, 14:36
quincalla wrote:
26 Aug 2024, 20:21
Updated the graph. It was the worst race of the season by this metric.
https://i.imgur.com/jLkDHAG.png
What is that metric?
Percentual gap in race pace from the fastest car to the fastest Aston. And I tried to match strategies where it made sense/was possible, so for example Belgium is ALO vs RUS because both one-stopped, even though RUS wasn't the fastest on average.

-wkst-
-wkst-

diffuser wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 00:23
Rikrikrik wrote:
That just sounds like the journalist is getting something wrong. Sounds like when my father inlaw asks me a question about computers, I explain it, then I hear him explaining it to someone else and it's all wrong ....It's illegal to copy parts, the way you need to copy them, to make the "COPIED" part work and McLaren isn't just gonna volunteer their car to be laser scanned. You copy ideas but that still means putting them in the wind tunnel to get them to work with your car.

The track team don't develop, they can say whatever they want but they can't make parts. The track teams opinion matters to as point. In the end the track team telling the factory how to do things is equivalent to me telling the God how the world should be.

It is my opinion that, for the most part, the PHDs are in the factory and all the guys not good enough to be in the factor are part of the race team.
Miquel had hardly anything wrong regarding AMR...
What he wants to express is that the team in the factory is most likely once again searching for the "perfect wind tunnel and CFD data" and how low the car should be driven in theory with which set up and the team at the track on the other side says "sorry, but in reality this reight height or this set up don't work". Schmidt from AMuS reported nearly identical stories from AMR engineers, who talked with him last year...

Rikrikrik
Rikrikrik

AM looks like ineficient because their own people dont agree each other than anything

diffuser

-wkst- wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 14:14
diffuser wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 00:23
Rikrikrik wrote:

Miquel had hardly anything wrong regarding AMR...
What he wants to express is that the team in the factory is most likely once again searching for the "perfect wind tunnel and CFD data" and how low the car should be driven in theory with which set up and the team at the track on the other side says "sorry, but in reality this reight height or this set up don't work". Schmidt from AMuS reported nearly identical stories from AMR engineers, who talked with him last year...
I'm just saying what it sounds like. Maybe he's just over dramatasizing it. Literally, the race team have maybe a 5% - 10% input on car design decisions. Really, they have what the factory wants to give them. The factory don't have to listen to them at all. So when they say they are in 2 groups, we'll the factory does whatever it wants. The race team is just noise. No doudt, the lack of success is driving that decision and that's pretty normal too in this situation.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Alonso
“And we need to get better, we need to understand the car better, we need to bring some new parts for the next races and try to be as we started the year, we were not fighting with the top four teams, but we were a couple of tenths clear of the midfield and we were in that middle position and we want to be back by Abu Dhabi, by the last race.”