2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrisgr
chrisgr

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Ben1980 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:23
Oscar putting leclerc in front of Norris ruined that race for the team.

But, tge plan was for a 2 stop, and that's why Piastri was gunning all those fastest laps. The Mclaren wasn't great on its tyres.
Piastri gave the win to Ferrari. We can say that now. I cant understand why the team is not supporting Norris in his effort. Of course he is also to blame. His driving today was underwhelming. He made a mistake and since he was going to have two pit stops he should be faster.

Lucky
Lucky

Because of Piastri, the team missed the victory

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Ben1980 wrote:

But, tge plan was for a 2 stop, and that's why Piastri was gunning all those fastest laps. The Mclaren wasn't great on its tyres.
Well it’s not fair to blame Oscar. He did what he was allowed to, and did it very well. It’s McLaren who needs to decide what they want. If they realistically think they could win the WDC, they need to be assertive and switch Oscar and Lando in the final stint and needs to be VERY clear going forward.

Anyways, 8 points on Max is still OK, and if Mercedes and Ferrari continue to sneak in between it can still erode quickly. Exciting times ahead.

DragonSGC
DragonSGC

Another thing by allowing them to race McLaren have now further poisoned thr locker room. If Hungary was run after today and the exact same thing happened Norris doesn't return the place and Oscar loses his first win. Now you have two sides of the garage working against one another rather than the team. I would not be surprised if there is inter team battling that costs at least one car a DNF.

McLaren do not have a championship mindset.

Darth-Piekus

Good thing is that we will be WCC as nothing can probably stop us as the car is good everywhere. Norris also got 8 more points from Max. 62 the difference with 8 Races to go. It's absolutely doable. Now on to the bad thing. The team has to target for the double. That means Norris must be No.1 as Oscar is not stable so far. That stunt at the start was not needed. Oscar had to play shield and then both drivers DRS each other to open the distance. By Oscar passing Norris like that he created a DRS train that damaged both Mclarens. By that attacking move he forced Norris to avoid a possible collision and then lost one more place.

Emag
Emag

Outscored by Ferrari as well, great job guys, amazing execution. The old clown pitwall meme should be remade with McLaren shirts.

mwillems

Tvetovnato wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:30
Ben1980 wrote:

Well it’s not fair to blame Oscar. He did what he was allowed to, and did it very well. It’s McLaren who needs to decide what they want. If they realistically think they could win the WDC, they need to be assertive and switch Oscar and Lando in the final stint and needs to be VERY clear going forward.

Anyways, 8 points on Max is still OK, and if Mercedes and Ferrari continue to sneak in between it can still erode quickly. Exciting times ahead.
Exactly. They were told they could race, so he did and Lando goes backwards again and can't get back in touch.

Leclerc threw the desperate dice today, their only chance at glory and it worked. Lucky, but fair play.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

chrisgr
chrisgr

Tvetovnato wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:30

Yeah. Only the team is to blame. Piastri was racing, saw an opportunity and took it. The team should have protected itself from losing today.
With that attitude, I disagree that we can expect something exciting. We are doing everything we can(the team) to keep our WDC chances to a minimums. Only if Max has DNFs.

Thankfully Norris took another fastest lap point. Again.
Last edited by chrisgr on 01 Sep 2024, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

Lucky
Lucky

The team does not need a title in the individual competition.

Huggles
Huggles

They should have team ordered them before the race to maintain the 1-2 in the order (if possible) and extend the lead. Once we were in our own race let them fight it out.

Dunlay
Dunlay

I won't be surprised if Lando starts talking to other teams like Red Bull and Aston Martin.

taperoo2k
taperoo2k

mwillems wrote:
taperoo2k wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:18
mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:10

I think there's a lot of wishful thinking with the WDC. Norris is not good enough this year.
It's not that Lando isn't good enough, it's that McLaren have made some stupid decisions in pursuit
of the constructor's championship. Oscar mugging Lando on the first lap has likely cost McLaren the win
today. They should have held station, built a gap over Leclerc and then raced.

Questions need to be asked of McLaren on the pitwall.
Lando is not good enough. No point blaming the team for everything. Another poor first lap and another example of not converting his chances.

He's not been good enough all year long.
Lando has made a number of mistakes, but that's just the nature of the sport (Max made quite a few in 2021 as did Lewis). But ultimately the decisions McLaren have been making recently have hurt Lando's chances in the drivers championship and the teams chances in the constructors. I can see Redbull just about winning both titles. McLaren haven't been in a title fight for a long time, and it shows.

McLaren have a choice to make, do they continue as is or do they put Lando first and use Oscar as a rear gunner?
I'm all for racing, but when it comes down to winning titles you have to issue team orders and put the driver with the best shot at winning the drivers title first. Zak Brown has been ruthless in recent years with changing the technical team around, and I think he needs to be so again, this time on the pitwall.
Last edited by taperoo2k on 01 Sep 2024, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

chengzhongyi2013
chengzhongyi2013

DragonSGC wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:31
Another thing by allowing them to race McLaren have now further poisoned thr locker room. If Hungary was run after today and the exact same thing happened Norris doesn't return the place and Oscar loses his first win. Now you have two sides of the garage working against one another rather than the team. I would not be surprised if there is inter team battling that costs at least one car a DNF.

McLaren do not have a championship mindset.
Well said.
With the exception of Rosberg in 2016: in the last 25 years, there is no WDC that has been won by a team running an equal number 1 driver

And Rosberg’s WDC was won with multiple fractures (in his relationship with Lewis, and with 2 sides of the garage fighting against each other).
Drop the ball, McLaren. Make the hard but logical decision.
Haven’t they learnt from 2007?
Last edited by chengzhongyi2013 on 01 Sep 2024, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

Pit wall should have told oscar to stay out and manage. I don't think Charles would have caught and passed oscar.

saputra_25
saputra_25

I still don't understand why they have not made up their mind to put Lando a priority.....just so stupid. Despite the chance is very slim for WDC, who knows...perhaps Max will have DNF at some point and it boom. Today because of OScar move at the second corner caused collateral damage and cost the win...