2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrisgr
chrisgr

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:54
Dimond wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:51
saputra_25 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:39
I still don't understand why they have not made up their mind to put Lando a priority...
Apparently, the team think Oscar is the first driver
Because he drives like one.
Who decides that? WDC standings say something else. I, personally, think that Piastri can be a better driver than Norris. Its only logical that a driver has priority if he has the slightest chance for WDC. Mclaren up until now defies logic. Today also hurt our WCC because we offered the win to Ferrari. What would have happened if our drivers had a contact and they were both out from the first lap??

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

On a positive note, I think we are 6? points from P1 in WCC.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

chrisgr wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:04
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:54
Dimond wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:51

Apparently, the team think Oscar is the first driver
Because he drives like one.
Who decides that? WDC standings say something else. I, personally, think that Piastri can be a better driver than Norris. Its only logical that a driver has priority if he has the slightest chance for WDC. Mclaren up until now defies logic. Today also hurt our WCC because we offered the win to Ferrari. What would have happened if our drivers had a contact and they were both out from the first lap??
I think it may be that Piastri has a more equal contract than we would expect. Maybe they can't force the decisions right now. His manager is Webber and with his experience, I wouldn't be surprised if he has it in writing that Piastri can't be forced to do that. They probably never expected to be in a WDC position so far so maybe it just caught them out. I really can't understand why would they allow such risky racing and completely write off idea of supporting Norris.

mwillems

chasefreak wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:01
WOW WOW WOW

Mclaren has 200% given up on the drivers championship.
I wonder if this is how you build a world championship team.

What was all that talk abt u will need Oscar and team to win it.
When land was called into his 1st pitstop he was abt to over take Charles, I mean literally.

All hats off to Ferrari and Charles, they pulled a blinder on Strat.

The rift within drivers have officially started.

I still feel Lando is not ready to be a champion. And this would actually mould him to be one.

You may just see a new Lando after this.
The cool down room was rather tense thsn cool
Probably could have stayed out and gone longer, yes. The first pits were too early, we had no need to undercut Leclerc, he was slower anyway.

Piastri's second stop was then too late, not enough time to catch Ferrari. The team were trying to hedge their bets again.

But at the same time, no one at the front thought the one stop would work and Leclerc said as much in the cool down room. It was a throw of the dice.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

JoeE
JoeE

At this stage, Norris should be given every chance at the WDC, if he doesn't win it with race pace and teme backing, then fine, we now know he is not WDC material. This is Oscar's first year in the team and improving rapidly. Next year if the car is a race winner, I can see Oscar passing Lando as the default number 1. Could we see a seat open at Mclaren for 26?

We do need to start thinking about actually winning races instead of these constant mess ups each race.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Piastri said this on Friday:
Piastri understands that when the opportune moment comes he will be more than happy to offer his assistance, but he thinks right now is too early.

“I'm still going into the weekends to try and win the races,” said the Australian.

“We [McLaren] are still behind in the constructors' championship and we want to make sure that we win that. My best contribution to that is by trying to win the race.

“The gap is still very big between Lando and Max. And even for myself, it's even bigger to Max, but it's not impossible. So we'll take it on a case-by-case basis every weekend.
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/motors ... r-AA1pLclx

wickedz50
wickedz50

Listening to Will Buxton on the post race show on F1Tv, the guys is absolutely angry the way Mclaren threw away the 1-2. Mclaren may be the fastest car on track today but whats the guarantee next year, Lando may have his only chance this year and the team is just being amateurish and prioritizing the driver whose chance for WDC is lower than the other driver.

stonehenge
stonehenge

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:09
Piastri understands that when the opportune moment comes he will be more than happy to offer his assistance, but he thinks right now is too early.

“I'm still going into the weekends to try and win the races,” said the Australian.

“We [McLaren] are still behind in the constructors' championship and we want to make sure that we win that. My best contribution to that is by trying to win the race.

“The gap is still very big between Lando and Max. And even for myself, it's even bigger to Max, but it's not impossible. So we'll take it on a case-by-case basis every weekend.
Except in this race it didn't even help them for the constructors!!! Piastri overtaking Norris cost them P1 and P2 at the time and the subsequent battle between them made them over attack the tires and make poor strategic decisions. The result is far fewer points for them as a team than they would have gotten with a managed 1-2. I do not understand why they are doing this. It doesn't help them in the driver's OR constructors' championship.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Alex_Z wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:02
Swed3121 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:55
Piastri really needs to learn his place, and that is lando’s backup. This was another McLaren master lads in throwing away a race victory. Will they ever learn

Somehow this team makes watching your team have the fastest car a chore.
Norris is not championship material I'm afraid. I don't see the same drive and hunger to capitalise on all the chances he's been given. Frankly, he should be leading the WDC today - that's five race wins squandered now, how many more chances does he need? When the car is not as dominant as it was in Zandvoort, he fails to deliver time and time again.
I agree Norris is not championship material
After all his talks he can't win a race with fastest car
Norris: ‘Hamilton’s car should win every race, he only has to beat two drivers
https://www.racefans.net/2020/10/26/nor ... o-drivers/

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

stonehenge wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:14
AR3-GP wrote:

Except in this race it didn't even help them for the constructors!!! Piastri overtaking Norris cost them P1 and P2 at the time and the subsequent battle between them made them over attack the tires and make poor strategic decisions. The result is far fewer points for them as a team than they would have gotten with a managed 1-2. I do not understand why they are doing this. It doesn't help them in the driver's OR constructors' championship.
It's not that simple. Piastri believed he could win the race. He had the legs on Norris in both stints. Norris destroyed his tires, ran up the escape road in the 2nd chicane, and was on his way to throwing the win by himself.

chrisc90

wickedz50 wrote:
Listening to Will Buxton on the post race show on F1Tv, the guys is absolutely angry the way Mclaren threw away the 1-2. Mclaren may be the fastest car on track today but whats the guarantee next year, Lando may have his only chance this year and the team is just being amateurish and prioritizing the driver whose chance for WDC is lower than the other driver.
Just come along here to say the same. He absolutely laced into how the team are managing their drivers. He is 10000% right aswell.

SilviuAgo

Alex_Z wrote:
Swed3121 wrote:
Piastri really needs to learn his place, and that is lando’s backup. This was another McLaren master lads in throwing away a race victory. Will they ever learn

Norris is not championship material I'm afraid. I don't see the same drive and hunger to capitalise on all the chances he's been given. Frankly, he should be leading the WDC today - that's five race wins squandered now, how many more chances does he need? When the car is not as dominant as it was in Zandvoort, he fails to deliver time and time again.
Ha ha ha...so the car was mighty in Zandvoort and this is the reason Lando won by 23 seconds and made the fastest lap in the last lap. Remind me where did Oscar finished that race?! Ooo...wait, only Lando's car was mighty.
Sometimes I read on this forum such "interesting" posts that I think was better when McLaren was eliminated with both cars in Q1.

I am a McLaren fan since 1992, I saw a lot of events during this time, with ups and downs, chearing for Senna, Hakkinen or Hamilton WDC or suffering for periods with painful results.
But you have to admit that, beside a mighty second stint from Leclerc and Ferrari strategy, today victory was "facilitated" by the turn 4 attack of Oscar on Lando. Specially that was not a clean overtake and Lando had to heavy brake and lost P2 to Charles.

For the moment McLaren looks good on WCC but if they want to avoid a toxic relationship between the two drivers, a possible collision between them one time or to have a chance on WDC this "papaya rules" bullsh1t should stop.
Last edited by SilviuAgo on 01 Sep 2024, 17:26, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

stonehenge wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Piastri not getting the win is not Piastri's fault. Putting on the fact that a racer raced at the start, as some people have, is daft. He raced as he was allowed to and mugged Lando.

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

I don’t think Lando has much ground to say anything after that performance to be honest. One of the weakest races I have seen, even worse than Spa.

But the team having their head so far up their asses with the whole “let them race” attitude to the point they throw away results.

Man, it makes me angry just thinking about it. What kind of genius is leading that strategy department.

mwillems

SilviuAgo wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:24
Alex_Z wrote:
Swed3121 wrote:

Ha ha ha...so the car was mighty in Zandvoort and thia ia the reason Lando won by 23 seconds and made the fastest lap in the last lap. Remind me wher did Oscar finished that race?! Ooo...wait, only Lando's car was mighty.
Sometimes I read on this forum such "interesting" posts that I think was better when McLaren was eliminated with both cars in Q1.

I am a McLaren fan since 1992, I saw a lot of events during this time, with ups and downs, chearing for Senna, Hakkinen or Hamilton WDC or suffering for periods with painful results.
But you have to admit that, beside a mighty second stint from Leclerc and Ferrari strategy, today victory was "facilitated" by the turn 4 attack of Oscar on Lando. Specially that was not a clean overtake and Lando had to heavy brake and lost P2 to Charles.

For the moment McLaren looks good on WCC but if they want to avoid a toxic relationship between the two drivers, a possible collision between them one time or to have a chance on WDC this "papaya rules" (red)bull'sh1t should stop.
The point being made is that you need to be able to do it all the time. Pointing to one good race, as many did last week, throwing around the word "Dominant" was premature beyond belief and I made this point very clearly. One win is not dominant. In fact it is highly belated. Wait for the next few races to see if he is the dominant driver in the championship. And guess what, mugged again.

The "Number 1" and "Dominant" driver is currently losing 5-4 since Miami to Oscar. Undoubtedly he's the faster driver, but there are parts of his game that the recent rookie had since day 1 that Lando just doesn't.

Honestly, I'm so frustrated with Lando. It was the same last year, except then it didn't matter. He's got time. He can afford mistakes.

it's year 7 for f*cks sake. He shouldn't be getting beaten by Oscar, period.

-Bandit