2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Venturiation
Venturiation

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

selvam_e2002 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:36
I bet next time Norris will not be as soft as till this race on PA. He will not allow him to pass at any point in race. I bet.

PA overtook Norris as Norris try to avoid collision. So next time Norris will not do this.....

this is why PA taking lead on Norris.
Norris wasn't good enough to do that today, has nothing to do with being soft, piastri is simply faster

Swed3121
Swed3121

Generally this team is a joke, I though they may have turned a corner after the summer brake but we clearly aren’t ready to have this fast of a car, the strategy is a mess, the drivers are egotistical and fighting eachother and the team principal can’t decide what he wants for breakfast let alone what to do with the drivers.

What a joke…

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

FittingMechanics wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:02
Ben1980 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:23
Oscar putting leclerc in front of Norris ruined that race for the team.

But, tge plan was for a 2 stop, and that's why Piastri was gunning all those fastest laps. The Mclaren wasn't great on its tyres.
Everyone had to go through a graining phase on the hards but most people pitted during the graining phase. Ferrari went through it and no longer had graining at the end which is why he wasn't caught.

Mcl_G10 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:39
Pit wall should have told oscar to stay out and manage. I don't think Charles would have caught and passed oscar.
This is what makes me so mad. Piastri was about 5 seconds ahead of Leclerc and 15 or so ahead of Sainz. You are not under threat of undercut or being overtaken if you have one or two bad laps. You have a significant buffer against a car that is slower than you. Only car that was doing a 2 stop and was "threatening" Piastri if his tires go off later is Norris. Since Norris was already on a two stop, why put both cars on that strategy when there is a chance that it may end up being a one stop race?

If Piastri starts to lose pace and Leclerc starts to catch him by a second a lap, then sure, go ahead and pit him even though even then it might be smarted to keep him out to block/slow down Leclerc so Norris has a better chance of catching up.

I do understand that if one stop tires went off the cliff, they would have made the right call but in that case Norris gets the win (great result) and it is still likely that Piastri with his buffer will prevail against Ferraris.

Completely unacceptable strategy call, similar in how bad it was to Silverstone where they didn't double stack Piastri.

About the race, Piastri looked to be faster but maybe he was always expecting to two stop so used his tires more. Hard to tell. I am annoyed by the risky T2 overtake that could have ended their race and then gave the position to Leclerc who was then a constant thorn in McLaren side. Leclerc in P2 forced Norris to undercut him early, which led to Piastri defending against Leclerc undercut which led to this stupid two stop strategy. If you get Norris and Piastri 1-2 after the first lap and tell them to work together to build a gap against Leclerc, then you can open up racing if you want later.
Perfect summary, exactly my thoughts too. Keeping oscar out would almost certainly of meant that the only person he risks losing the race too is norris.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

SilviuAgo wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:24
Alex_Z wrote:
Swed3121 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 16:55
Piastri really needs to learn his place, and that is lando’s backup. This was another McLaren master lads in throwing away a race victory. Will they ever learn

Somehow this team makes watching your team have the fastest car a chore.
Norris is not championship material I'm afraid. I don't see the same drive and hunger to capitalise on all the chances he's been given. Frankly, he should be leading the WDC today - that's five race wins squandered now, how many more chances does he need? When the car is not as dominant as it was in Zandvoort, he fails to deliver time and time again.
Ha ha ha...so the car was mighty in Zandvoort and this is the reason Lando won by 23 seconds and made the fastest lap in the last lap. Remind me where did Oscar finished that race?! Ooo...wait, only Lando's car was mighty.
Sometimes I read on this forum such "interesting" posts that I think was better when McLaren was eliminated with both cars in Q1.

I am a McLaren fan since 1992, I saw a lot of events during this time, with ups and downs, chearing for Senna, Hakkinen or Hamilton WDC or suffering for periods with painful results.
But you have to admit that, beside a mighty second stint from Leclerc and Ferrari strategy, today victory was "facilitated" by the turn 4 attack of Oscar on Lando. Specially that was not a clean overtake and Lando had to heavy brake and lost P2 to Charles.

For the moment McLaren looks good on WCC but if they want to avoid a toxic relationship between the two drivers, a possible collision between them one time or to have a chance on WDC this "papaya rules" bullsh1t should stop.
I fully support this. It is a big problem when Oscar tries to prove to everyone that he is faster, although he is slower in qualifying and usually wears out his tyres faster in the race than Lando. In addition, he is losing significantly more points than Lando in relation to Verstappen. At this point, I am ready to admit that Oscar does not want to be a team player. In this case, there will be no more handouts from Lando, I am 100% sure of that.

Lando has shown since 2019 that he is a team player and remains so. In Oscar's case, I think he has become a bit of a star. Brown should already decide whether they believe in Lando or not, whether they are ready to make him number one until the end of 2024 or not. If this continues, then a clash between Oscar and Lando is inevitable.

Lando tried to avoid Oscar until the very end, just to avoid a collision, and Oscar entered the turn as if Lando wasn't there. And for some reason everyone writes that Lando isn't the stuff that makes world champions. :D Well, well, I see that Lando is on average more stable and faster in qualifying and races. The drivers' standings won't let me lie.

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:25
stonehenge wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:14
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:09
Piastri said this on Friday:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/motors ... r-AA1pLclx
Except in this race it didn't even help them for the constructors!!! Piastri overtaking Norris cost them P1 and P2 at the time and the subsequent battle between them made them over attack the tires and make poor strategic decisions. The result is far fewer points for them as a team than they would have gotten with a managed 1-2. I do not understand why they are doing this. It doesn't help them in the driver's OR constructors' championship.
Piastri not getting the win is not Piastri's fault. Putting on the fact that a racer raced at the start, as some people have, is daft. He raced as he was allowed to and mugged Lando.
In reality all Piastri did was lose a guaranteed P2 into another P2. He obviously wasn't to know that.

I dont think the team will be happy, Zak said he would have liked a bit longer running in p1 and p2.

F1_fan
F1_fan

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:35
Jdn1327 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:33
mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:27

The point being made is that you need to be able to do it all the time. Pointing to one good race, as many did last week, throwing around the word "Dominant" was premature beyond belief and I made this point very clearly. One win is not dominant. In fact it is highly belated. Wait for the next few races to see if he is the dominant driver in the championship. And guess what, mugged again.

The "Number 1" and "Dominant" driver is currently losing 5-4 since Miami to Oscar. Undoubtedly he's the faster driver, but there are parts of his game that the recent rookie had since day 1 that Lando just doesn't.

Honestly, I'm so frustrated with Lando. It was the same last year, except then it didn't matter. He's got time. He can afford mistakes.

it's year 7 for f*cks sake. He shouldn't be getting beaten by Oscar, period.
For Lando to lead the team he needs to feel like the team leader. And the team aren't giving him that number 1 statue. If mclaren want to win both championships they need a clear number 1 and that is Lando. Oscar had his chance early in the season but lando was the one that scored more points early on. I have nothing against Oscar but McLaren need to pull their thumbs out and decide who is their number 1.
But what has Lando done to deserve it? Until last week the gap to Max had been growing, not shrinking, since Miami. He couldn't and still isn't really, extending the gap much to Oscar.

He had a good race last week and everyone starts crowing. He's not done anywhere near enough to deserve being a number 1 driver, not even close.

I'll calm down by tomorrow. But mistakes and not capitalising isn't a recent thing, he's making a whole career out of it.
What has Lando done to deserve to be a 1st driver????? Really??
Maybe he was with the team when we were at the bottom and he was dragging that box to points and even some podiums.
Maybe he is ahead of his team mate by 50 points in WDC with 1 DNF.
Maybe he sweeps the floor with his team mate in almost all qualis.
Maybe he is faster on a race day if he doesn’t have to hand over his team mate a victory?
Yea, Oscar is a bit better starter than Lando and somehow that is enough to claim he is at Lando’s level. He was not flawless in any race this season, even in a win in Hungary. Lando was, and was capable of maximise some points in the races where the car was not good enough in early stages of season.

Please don’t disrespect Lando. He should have won more races, but that was also on the team not just on himself. How he could defend that Piastri move? Maybe by crashing out him and his team mate? If Mclaren had team orders im favor of their FIRST DRIVER, today Lando would have 4 wins and the gap in WDC would be somewhat around 45 points and MCL would lead WCC. To me that sounds pretty good.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:57
SilviuAgo wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:24
Alex_Z wrote:

Norris is not championship material I'm afraid. I don't see the same drive and hunger to capitalise on all the chances he's been given. Frankly, he should be leading the WDC today - that's five race wins squandered now, how many more chances does he need? When the car is not as dominant as it was in Zandvoort, he fails to deliver time and time again.
Ha ha ha...so the car was mighty in Zandvoort and this is the reason Lando won by 23 seconds and made the fastest lap in the last lap. Remind me where did Oscar finished that race?! Ooo...wait, only Lando's car was mighty.
Sometimes I read on this forum such "interesting" posts that I think was better when McLaren was eliminated with both cars in Q1.

I am a McLaren fan since 1992, I saw a lot of events during this time, with ups and downs, chearing for Senna, Hakkinen or Hamilton WDC or suffering for periods with painful results.
But you have to admit that, beside a mighty second stint from Leclerc and Ferrari strategy, today victory was "facilitated" by the turn 4 attack of Oscar on Lando. Specially that was not a clean overtake and Lando had to heavy brake and lost P2 to Charles.

For the moment McLaren looks good on WCC but if they want to avoid a toxic relationship between the two drivers, a possible collision between them one time or to have a chance on WDC this "papaya rules" bullsh1t should stop.
I fully support this. It is a big problem when Oscar tries to prove to everyone that he is faster, although he is slower in qualifying and usually wears out his tyres faster in the race than Lando. In addition, he is losing significantly more points than Lando in relation to Verstappen. At this point, I am ready to admit that Oscar does not want to be a team player. In this case, there will be no more handouts from Lando, I am 100% sure of that.

Lando has shown since 2019 that he is a team player and remains so. In Oscar's case, I think he has become a bit of a star. Brown should already decide whether they believe in Lando or not, whether they are ready to make him number one until the end of 2024 or not. If this continues, then a clash between Oscar and Lando is inevitable.

Lando tried to avoid Oscar until the very end, just to avoid a collision, and Oscar entered the turn as if Lando wasn't there. And for some reason everyone writes that Lando isn't the stuff that makes world champions. :D Well, well, I see that Lando is on average more stable and faster in qualifying and races. The drivers' standings won't let me lie.
Since Miami Oscar has got 156 points and Lando has got 158 points. Until these last 2 races, Lando had only finished ahead of Max twice out of 7. Now 4 out of 9.

Lando hasn't closed any gaps more than Oscar since Miami. The criticism is well justified, he should be doing more than this. It's an unpleasant opinion, but most certainly not an unfair one.

Lando looks to me like a driver that doesn't have what it takes to be number 1.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Dafnalina
Dafnalina

Are people forgetting Austria?

I don't understand people saying Lando had a bad race. Qualified excellent, improved his start, avoided a double McLaren dnf and had almost the same pace as Oscar being in dirty air and all. If anything, he's the reason they finished the race at all.

Oscar wouldn't have pulled that move on anyone else. Had he tried it on anyone but his teammate he’d have been shoved off the road, but Norris as always was playing the team game.

JordanMugen

E8404424 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:52
McLaren need to state what they are doing. Either support Lando or not. State it clearly, or not, instead of this wishy washy "Papaya Rules" drivel.
It's not obviously. McLaren are going for the WCC, the WDC is not a priority. :)

LionsHeart wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 17:57
Lando tried to avoid Oscar until the very end, just to avoid a collision, and Oscar entered the turn as if Lando wasn't there.
Oscar left plenty of space according to Karun's replay on Sky TV. :)

Norris must drive better if he wants to win races from pole. Certainly for the factor of amusement, a collision between the McLarens on lap 1 would have been the most amusing outcome!
Last edited by JordanMugen on 01 Sep 2024, 18:14, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

Because he doesn't convert.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

Just putting your days into perspective after being disappointed with a 2-3.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/verst ... /10650320/
Just a fan's point of view

Swed3121
Swed3121

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:12
Because he doesn't convert.
Would it be better if he crashed into Oscar as was his right to defend the position?

What a joke of a comment…

billamend
billamend

Norris should start thinking about leaving McLaren whenever he has a good opportunity. It’s clear that they don’t want to support him.

Swed3121
Swed3121

CjC wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:12
Just putting your days into perspective after being disappointed with a 2-3.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/verst ... /10650320/
Thanks, actually really needed that, come so far and yet so far still to go

JordanMugen

Swed3121 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:13
Would it be better if he crashed into Oscar as was his right to defend the position?
That would be the most entertaining outcome! :)

The collision with Verstappen at Austria was very entertaining! There, Norris lost many points.

billamend wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:13
Norris should start thinking about leaving McLaren whenever he has a good opportunity. It’s clear that they don’t want to support him.
Red Bull Racing had prepared a nice offer for the Briton!

I wonder who would triumph in a pairing of Piastri and Sainz at McLaren F1 Team? :?:

Indeed if McLaren is still the fastest car, then maybe even Verstappen would try to manoeuvre himself into the papaya team.

Would Verstappen really need hold position orders to stay ahead of Piastri; would Verstappen really have such a low win rate in the fastest car as Norris has delivered? :?: I dunno! The team switch between Norris and Verstappen would be interesting IMO.
Last edited by JordanMugen on 01 Sep 2024, 18:18, edited 1 time in total.