2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Hopefully this kind of BS is the last time it happens. Starting from next race Norris has to be No1 because he is better so far and much closer to the WDC. Its a huge opportunity now that Red Bull seem to be under siege from both Ferrari and Mercedes. Also we need more upgrades. The car must be unbeatable to avoid these kinds of setbacks.

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:29
Lando has been the better driver this season, he has most points, and would have more if he hadn't been run off in Austria. His season has been better than Oscar.

He has a chance of a deserved title, Oscar has pretty almost no chance. The team need to pull their finger out, and stop being stupid.
And the same for Oscar in Miami, where he was leading the race and the SC gave the lead to Lando and put Oscar next to Sainz, who snacked on his front wing.

Same with strategy, it all balances out. Lando isn't the only one that suffered with strategy. Today it was Oscar.

There's nothing between the drivers despite Lando being faster when he converts.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Tommy.G
Tommy.G

If this team had a brain they would have been 1 point behind Red Bull and less than 50 points behind Verstapen!

If Piastri had stayed behind Norris at the start he could have defended and let Norris win while Piastri could have finished 3rd! Had they done the same at Hungary it would have been extra 10+7 points for Lando…

But this has been doing this stuff for decades now! They lost a championship or two during 2010-2012 by prioritizing Button over Hamilton… :lol:

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:08
LionsHeart wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:24
mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:19

I don't agree that the strategists have done it all, I think Lando is equal to blame at least in many performances.
There have been quite a few mistakes this year, both on the team's side and on the side of both drivers. I have already discussed this before the summer break and I do not intend to return to that topic. I could say that my disappointment knows no bounds, but in this case, "well done" to everyone. Now a lot will depend on what is decided within the team. They have already written that Lando may leave for another team, I am not sure about this yet. Most likely, Oscar will leave earlier.
I am not sure either way. I think the point of no team orders is to let the settle it on the track. The lack of a number 1 is precisely because it hasn't been settled on track.

I know how you feel about the previous races, but obviously in this conversation they can't really be brushed aside.

Lando wasn't terrible today, just not performing tp expectations again.
I am happy that Oscar has a fighting spirit on the track. It is great to have such a driver in the team. But it is worth understanding that because of his egoism, and I cannot extrapolate it in any other way, the team lost 1-2 positions at the finish. Stella also spoke out on this issue, that they will discuss Oscar's maneuver. I do not think that the team will push him aside, but the fact that Lando now has a free hand is beyond my doubt.

Lando has a temper, but he hides it behind a smile. He doesn't want to be a bad guy, that's all. I understand Lando when he didn't expect such an attack from Oscar. But now it's crystal clear to him. Oscar fights his partner a little harder than with other opponents. In this respect, he's a little like Ocon.

Later this year I want to see how many people change their minds about Lando. Are they as selfish in life as Oscar? I have no idea. Oscar shows that he wants to be number one and does not want to be a team player. But two can play this game. Or do most people on the forum think that Lando will always act like this?

I respect everyone's opinion on this forum, but as Emag told me at the Monaco Grand Prix: "I respect your opinion, it has a place to be, but I have my own personal opinion, based on my observations, facts, etc." Agreeing or disagreeing is not a problem. It's just that by the end of the season, someone will be more right, and someone less. We can't influence that in any way.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Darth-Piekus wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:20
Hopefully this kind of BS is the last time it happens. Starting from next race Norris has to be No1 because he is better so far and much closer to the WDC. Its a huge opportunity now that Red Bull seem to be under siege from both Ferrari and Mercedes. Also we need more upgrades. The car must be unbeatable to avoid these kinds of setbacks.
There have already been updates, the car is already the fastest. The problem is no longer the pure speed of the chassis, but in the strategists and engineers in the team. And also in what the team principal allows and does not allow his drivers on the track.

bluechris

I strongly believe that gloves are off and McLaren needs to help the situation or else worse things will happen.
I just don't understand something, as team, they didn't sit down and discuss what is the better scenario in the start? I mean the team said "We believe in your ability, just don't crash", really? It's logical for a team that after 15+ years is hunting the WCC to not control anything? And not only that but they let the driver that is 60 points ahead , to be attacked in T4 like this ? Honestly i didn't believe it when that happened.. What a poor mentality there.
They took Ferrari strategy team? Maybe Binoto is helping them? Lol

Slahinki
Slahinki

Just watched the race. What an absolutely idiotic move by Piastri, nearly took out both cars and then let Leclerc through too. Racing his team mate like he's the australian Ocon. What a shitty team mate behaviour. The team continues to do it's best to throw the WDC away, like they are allergic to it. Absolutely infuriating to not be able to capitalise more on Red Bull and Verstappen finishing outside the top 5.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Slahinki wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:47
Just watched the race. What an absolutely idiotic move by Piastri, nearly took out both cars and then let Leclerc through too. Racing his team mate like he's the australian Ocon. What a shitty team mate behaviour. The team continues to do it's best to throw the WDC away, like they are allergic to it. Absolutely infuriating to not be able to capitalise more on Red Bull and Verstappen finishing outside the top 5.
Oscar isn't norris's puppet
Oscar was simply superior this race and norris couldn't keep up with him

Jurgen von Diaz

Why didn't Lando ask Piastri for the favor of handing over P2 to him, as Lando gave him the win in Hungary? What is the matter with McLaren, why don't they want Norris to win the WDC?

bluechris

Venturiation wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:50
Slahinki wrote:
But he qualified behind and wasn't able to pass at the start. In the hindsight, you really believe what he did in T4 was correct? I mean noone expect that attack, not even Norris and because of Norris evasive actions they didn't crash and as extra candy, Leclerc went second.
To me it was a brain fart move.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:53
Why didn't Lando ask Piastri for the favor of handing over P2 to him, as Lando gave him the win in Hungary? What is the matter with McLaren, why don't they want Norris to win the WDC?
Lando didn't give him the win, the team undercut Oscar and gave the place to norris then he tried to act like he was better than piastri but today piastri proved him that he isn't
, same they tried today by undercutting Oscar twice while he was ahead of him

Mcl_G10
Mcl_G10

I dont think mclaren expected anybody to go with the 1 stop strategy and make it successful. In this regards we did back ourselves and the pace of the car.

The trouble is that it almost comes across as though oscar and the team are actively trying to sabotage. Of course they are not but my word do they make strange decisions.
Next season could arguably be harder to win a WDC.

It's not over yet, we are fighting for both championships still.
Baku could be another ferrari v mclaren battle. I'm confident we will be very fast there.

Venturiation
Venturiation

bluechris wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:55
Venturiation wrote:
Slahinki wrote:
But he qualified behind and wasn't able to pass at the start. In the hindsight, you really believe what he did in T4 was correct? I mean noone expect that attack, not even Norris and because of Norris evasive actions they didn't crash and as extra candy, Leclerc went second.
To me it was a brain fart move.
So now drivers that qualify behind aren't allowed to overtake? The move at T4 was a masterclass and show big amount of skill

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:38
mwillems wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:08
LionsHeart wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:24

There have been quite a few mistakes this year, both on the team's side and on the side of both drivers. I have already discussed this before the summer break and I do not intend to return to that topic. I could say that my disappointment knows no bounds, but in this case, "well done" to everyone. Now a lot will depend on what is decided within the team. They have already written that Lando may leave for another team, I am not sure about this yet. Most likely, Oscar will leave earlier.
I am not sure either way. I think the point of no team orders is to let the settle it on the track. The lack of a number 1 is precisely because it hasn't been settled on track.

I know how you feel about the previous races, but obviously in this conversation they can't really be brushed aside.

Lando wasn't terrible today, just not performing tp expectations again.
I am happy that Oscar has a fighting spirit on the track. It is great to have such a driver in the team. But it is worth understanding that because of his egoism, and I cannot extrapolate it in any other way, the team lost 1-2 positions at the finish. Stella also spoke out on this issue, that they will discuss Oscar's maneuver. I do not think that the team will push him aside, but the fact that Lando now has a free hand is beyond my doubt.

Lando has a temper, but he hides it behind a smile. He doesn't want to be a bad guy, that's all. I understand Lando when he didn't expect such an attack from Oscar. But now it's crystal clear to him. Oscar fights his partner a little harder than with other opponents. In this respect, he's a little like Ocon.

Later this year I want to see how many people change their minds about Lando. Are they as selfish in life as Oscar? I have no idea. Oscar shows that he wants to be number one and does not want to be a team player. But two can play this game. Or do most people on the forum think that Lando will always act like this?

I respect everyone's opinion on this forum, but as Emag told me at the Monaco Grand Prix: "I respect your opinion, it has a place to be, but I have my own personal opinion, based on my observations, facts, etc." Agreeing or disagreeing is not a problem. It's just that by the end of the season, someone will be more right, and someone less. We can't influence that in any way.
I think it is very strong to suggest that Oscar is the reason Lando couldn't go faster for the rest of the race. Lando had 52 further laps to set things straight. He was unable to and the overtake wasn't the reason.

I think.the overtake was a bit much too, but the risk that Ferrari were willing to take snatched the 1-2. And the fact we didn't split strategy.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

Venturiation wrote:
Slahinki wrote:
Oscar doesn't have to be anyone's puppet, but he is employed by Mclaren to do the best for the team. What he did was not the best for the team. In fact it was opposite.

Was he superior, I don't know. They didn't run the same type of race, mainly because Lando ended up 3rd after avoiding his teammate.