2024 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Aug 30 - Sep 1

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Gillian
Gillian

Re: 2024 Italian Grand Prix - Monza, Aug 30 - Sep 1

avantman wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 21:23
Gillian wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:40

Brown already starting to talk positive about Verstappen. Seems he is now starting to realize he needs more than just the fastest car.
what did he say?
Just compare this:
Speaking ahead of the British Grand Prix about what happened in Austria, Brown said: "I'm also disappointed in such a great team like Red Bull that the leadership almost encourages it, because you listen on the radio what was said.

"We've seen there be lack of respect - whether it's financial regulations, or sporting, on track, issues with fathers and things of that nature. I just don't think that's how we need to go racing

Max and Lando were just duking it out, as you'd expect them to do, and until someone tells Max that that's against the regulations, he's not going to know any different.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/brow ... /10631724/

A lot more negative stuff to find from Brown about Verstappen, basically claiming he is a worse driver than Norris and won 22 and 23 solely because of the car, nothing special at all. How Red Bull is a one man team and 2nd driver never gets a fair shot etc.

In the last few days he's backtracking:
Max’s car was very good. And if you put Max in it, he was completely unbeatable,” Brown told the Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf. “That may have been interpreted as me meaning that he only won because of the car, but that is not what I meant.

“Just look at how a good driver like Sergio Perez is performing now. Max is one of the best Formula 1 drivers ever,” said the American. “So I would just like to clear that up.”
https://onestopstrategy.com/zak-brown-p ... e_vignette

Gillian
Gillian

Seanspeed wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 23:13
bluechris wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:14
I don't get the bashing on Norris, who in his right of mind had thought that Piastri would attack him like this in the first lap? Norris saved a crash there with his hotheaded teammate. His start was fine today but the guys behind had tow and that's why Piastri went for it but it was totally wrong. They started for 1-2 and got 2-3.
Why Piastri with 60 or so points difference from Norris attacked? I really don't get it what they do in McLaren and they give signs of a very small team with this kind of things. The simply thing was to tell to your both drivers to be extra careful on the 1st lap and not to do whatever they like.
Great result for Ferrari and great driving from Leclerc, a well deserved victory and team comes slowly were they need to be.
Hot-headed? Piastri had a clear opportunity and took it. That's what any driver worth their salt would do.
Mclaren has made pretty clear its about WCC and they're not going to prioritize Norris so yeah, I don't know either what the fuss is about.

You either back one driver and make sure both your drivers know which one or you give them equal oppurtunity and let them race. Or one driver is just a lot better than the other one and it is handled naturally on track (Hamilton-Bottas, Verstappen-Perez).

bananapeel23

JordanMugen wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:44
PlatinumZealot wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:37
Nothing wrong with the Piastri pass. The Macca strat was just rubbish when they had the pace they had.
Agreed!

McLaren didn't make it clear to Piastri that a one stop strategy was needed to attempt to win. Oh well. :)

bananapeel23 wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 18:40
Damn near every single race since Miami has been amazing and predicting the winner has been an exercise in futility. We should really take the time to appreciate just how good this season is.
That's true. A lot of this could be due to Norris' underperformance! He seems to make hard work of winning in the fastest car (apart from Zandvoort). Would Verstappen really have such a low rate of victory as Norris in the McLaren over the last 6-8 races?
I mean Norris has been pretty good at throwing races away. But McLaren are not without blame here. They have made several costly strategy errors and have proven to be pretty far behind Red Bull operationally. If Max was in the McLaren I think he would have lost a few wins as well, albeit not nearly as many as Norris. Norris just isn't as good as Max.

bluechris

Gillian wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 23:37
Seanspeed wrote:
bluechris wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 19:14
I don't get the bashing on Norris, who in his right of mind had thought that Piastri would attack him like this in the first lap? Norris saved a crash there with his hotheaded teammate. His start was fine today but the guys behind had tow and that's why Piastri went for it but it was totally wrong. They started for 1-2 and got 2-3.
Why Piastri with 60 or so points difference from Norris attacked? I really don't get it what they do in McLaren and they give signs of a very small team with this kind of things. The simply thing was to tell to your both drivers to be extra careful on the 1st lap and not to do whatever they like.
Great result for Ferrari and great driving from Leclerc, a well deserved victory and team comes slowly were they need to be.
Hot-headed? Piastri had a clear opportunity and took it. That's what any driver worth their salt would do.
Mclaren has made pretty clear its about WCC and they're not going to prioritize Norris so yeah, I don't know either what the fuss is about.

You either back one driver and make sure both your drivers know which one or you give them equal oppurtunity and let them race. Or one driver is just a lot better than the other one and it is handled naturally on track (Hamilton-Bottas, Verstappen-Perez).
If this is true, then my point is valid
https://racingnews365.com/mclaren-make- ... verstappen

Gillian
Gillian

bluechris wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 23:41
Gillian wrote:
Seanspeed wrote:

What is your point exactly (honest question)? They havent prioritized Norris in any way yet so if anything he was right to so what he did and beat his team mate.

Mclaren is a bit late with this prioritizing thingy when the season is so far done already... And mighty confusing for its drivers as well!

bluechris

Gillian wrote:
01 Sep 2024, 23:47
bluechris wrote:
Gillian wrote:

What is your point exactly (honest question)? They havent prioritized Norris in any way yet so if anything he was right to so what he did and beat his team mate.

Mclaren is a bit late with this prioritizing thingy when the season is so far done already... And mighty confusing for its drivers as well!
I just want to point that in this time, were we have only 8 races plus the sprint's, with this difference from one of your drivers to Verstappen and real chances to catch him mathematically, you don't shoot yourself in the foot with risky moves and try to help your leading driver.
But forget what i think, what do you think will happen from now on after this? If they let it go without doing nothing? How will be the relationship between the two drivers? I saw Norris body language and his smile, also Piastri was like a kid that stole a candy.
If they want any of the championships, they need to be mathematically cynical.
See RB and MB the previous years for example with Hamilton and imagine Bottas vX.0 to attack Hamilton like this in the 1st lap or Perez on Max ? in the 4th turn like this?

Bottom line imo, the drivers belong to the team and the team dictates the music that the drivers dance and that's why i think McLaren botched it today as a whole.
This is strictly my opinion and the time will reveal the truth.

Ben1980
Ben1980

I think this has been brought to a head.

Great move by Piastri, but not really needed when you are in first and second, and then running the risk of it impacting the race ( which it did).

I think this will not happen again, and they will now push behind Lando.

How they didn't swap them at the end is unbelievable aswell.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

I am a Max Verstappen fan first and foremost. But this narrative that Mercedes and now McLaren should be falling over themselves to sign Max , with the lineups both teams have, is kinda ridiculous to me. Especially since Jos the boss, would raise hell at the first moment that one of Piastri, Norris, Russell or Antonelli gets one up on Max. If Max was in Lando's McLaren today, it would be a double DNF for the team.

Gillian
Gillian

bluechris wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 00:03
Gillian wrote:
bluechris wrote:

I just want to point that in this time, were we have only 8 races plus the sprint's, with this difference from one of your drivers to Verstappen and real chances to catch him mathematically, you don't shoot yourself in the foot with risky moves and try to help your leading driver.
But forget what i think, what do you think will happen from now on after this? If they let it go without doing nothing? How will be the relationship between the two drivers? I saw Norris body language and his smile, also Piastri was like a kid that stole a candy.
If they want any of the championships, they need to be mathematically cynical.
See RB and MB the previous years for example with Hamilton and imagine Bottas vX.0 to attack Hamilton like this in the 1st lap or Perez on Max ? in the 4th turn like this?

Bottom line imo, the drivers belong to the team and the team dictates the music that the drivers dance and that's why i think McLaren botched it today as a whole.
This is strictly my opinion and the time will reveal the truth.
Gotcha and I agree. They should have backed Norris since Miami.

My point is purely I don't blame Piastri even a bit. I think the indicisiveness from Mclaren up until this point might even have motivated Piastri to close the gap to Norris to prevent him becoming driver number 2.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Gillian wrote:
bluechris wrote:
Gillian wrote:

It wasn't too late, 3 races ago. Now it is down to the wire. Norris needs 7.8 more points per race to beat Max. And he has done that the last 2 races. But now there's zero room for error and its all up to fate.

Gillian
Gillian

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 00:17
I am a Max Verstappen fan first and foremost. But this narrative that Mercedes and now McLaren should be falling over themselves to sign Max , with the lineups both teams have, is kinda ridiculous to me. Especially since Jos the boss, would raise hell at the first moment that one of Piastri, Norris, Russell or Antonelli gets one up on Max. If Max was in Lando's McLaren today, it would be a double DNF for the team.
Why is it ridiculous? Norris has been driving the best car for atleast half this season and barely manages to get a win, eventhough he is fast. We've seen what happens when Verstappen has the best car. The only drivers who have shown this level of performance are Hamilton (not available and is at the end of his career) and Alonso (past his prime by now). Verstappen is a bit unhappy at Red Bull, so there is chance you might persuade him. What reason could you possibly have to NOT want Verstappen?

dialtone
dialtone

Gillian wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 00:35
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
Why is it ridiculous? Norris has been driving the best car for atleast half this season and barely manages to get a win, eventhough he is fast. We've seen what happens when Verstappen has the best car. The only drivers who have shown this level of performance are Hamilton (not available and is at the end of his career) and Alonso (past his prime by now). Verstappen is a bit unhappy at Red Bull, so there is chance you might persuade him. What reason could you possibly have to NOT want Verstappen?
If Norris/MCL haven't won more races they only have themselves to blame, not Piastri or their fights. Norris has lost the lead on first lap in every single race where he started from Pole. It's wild to accuse Piastri to not race and that somehow he's at fault for MCL not capitalizing on a 1-2 that seemed certain after 30 laps out of 53 in the race.

I want Max and Red Bull to win the least of all, but Norris just needs to git good, pure and simple.

EDIT: And please don't accuse me of NOR hate. I never accused him of being bad at quali for the Q3 errors, in fact defended him, and I think NOR and PIA are probably top 2 pair on the grid, maybe even best in potential if they grow right, just need to learn.
Last edited by dialtone on 02 Sep 2024, 00:55, edited 1 time in total.

Gillian
Gillian

dialtone wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 00:49
Gillian wrote:
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
If Norris/MCL haven't won more races they only have themselves to blame, not Piastri or their fights. Norris has lost the lead on first lap in every single race where he started from Pole. It's wild to accuse Piastri to not race and that somehow he's at fault for MCL not capitalizing on a 1-2 that seemed certain after 30 laps out of 53 in the race.

I want Max and Red Bull to win the least of all, but Norris just needs to git good, pure and simple.
Yeah for sure!

Mosin123
Mosin123

dialtone wrote:
02 Sep 2024, 00:49
Gillian wrote:
TeamKoolGreen wrote:

EDIT: And please don't accuse me of NOR hate. I never accused him of being bad at quali for the Q3 errors, in fact defended him, and I think NOR and PIA are probably top 2 pair on the grid, maybe even best in potential if they grow right, just need to learn.
OP has had all season to make a statement, he failed, Lando has to drive with caution, a DNF for him could just take him out the title fight, a DNF for OP means nothing but dropped points for Mclaren, its a bit unfair to say Lando needs to get good, when he has beaten the not in the title fight team mate all season, thats why one can still fight for the title and the other cant.

avantman
avantman

TeamKoolGreen wrote:
If Max was in Lando's McLaren today, it would be a double DNF for the team.
extremely silly take. If you are Max fan, you aren't good one. Max has a very short history of making contacts with teammates. Max would've put Piastri in a position to back off if he had to race him. He would've braked differently and way later than Lando, and positioned his car in the corner exactly as he did against Lewis in that corner in 2021. That's what they call race craft and ability to race wheel to wheel, a gift really. If there would be a DNF, then only caused by Piastri, I don't think he is an idiot to cause that.