2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Francis Bacon
Francis Bacon

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 12:59
bluechris wrote:
mwillems wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 12:22
Of course he knew he was being attacked, Oscar had drawn himself up alongside Lando's car along Parabolica in advance of the corner and was slightly ahead when the breaks were applied, it's an attack, he wasn't trying to wave hello
That moment offcourse but till then you expect a team play to hold Leclerc and the others.. not to attack and throw you the "Lion" as Alonso says :)
What would Senna have done in Piastri's shoes? Full attack. If Piastri had backed down, it would have been submission. Piastri made a statement that he will be a big name. So many number two drivers have regretted their team player actions after their careers. You either hunt or be hunted. This was 100% the right thing to do for Piastri's future, and the team didn't even bother to switch positions.
Senna's statements are not canon.

Slahinki
Slahinki

Jurgen von Diaz wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 12:59
bluechris wrote:
mwillems wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 12:22
Of course he knew he was being attacked, Oscar had drawn himself up alongside Lando's car along Parabolica in advance of the corner and was slightly ahead when the breaks were applied, it's an attack, he wasn't trying to wave hello
That moment offcourse but till then you expect a team play to hold Leclerc and the others.. not to attack and throw you the "Lion" as Alonso says :)
What would Senna have done in Piastri's shoes? Full attack. If Piastri had backed down, it would have been submission. Piastri made a statement that he will be a big name. So many number two drivers have regretted their team player actions after their careers. You either hunt or be hunted. This was 100% the right thing to do for Piastri's future, and the team didn't even bother to switch positions.
Senna would probably have crashed his team mate out of the race on purpose and then made up some catchy quote to justify it post-race. Luckily for McLaren Piastri isn't that insane.

mwillems

Zak nailing it.

I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

McLarenMor
McLarenMor

At the end of the day, the team lost points and an almost for sure 1-2 because of that move, no way around it.
It is behind where it would have been on WCC, and also further than it could have been with one of it's drivers on WDC.
If we are being conservative, Lando could have been 10 points closer to VER with team orders in Hungary and Monza, and 'could-should' 17 points closer if he would have won, which was very probable, without the lap 1 overtake.
That is closing a 35 points gap (10 Hungary, 8 Holland, 17 Monza) in 3 races, with 8 to go and a gap of 45.
It is insane to me that they had 0 belief in themselves and in Lando closing that gap from Hungary to this Sunday.
Who says next year would be a walk in the park?
When this opportunities come, you don't waste it just tn 'let them race',it can be a ones in a life time oppertunity for some.
I see their relationship as broken after Monza(as could have been seen from the cool down room onwards), given how Lando moved over in Hungary, while Piaste is aware of the championship situation and was very aggressive.
it would have been in a much better shape team was emphatic with backing Lando since Hungary, and telling Oscar, you get your chance next year.
it has nothing to do with a 'one-car' team, it has everything to do with a VERY realistic chance of winning both championships, to winning one and a prayer for the other.

CjC
CjC

mwillems wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 19:32
Zak nailing it.

Is Zak suggesting that he and/or the team expected Lando to have better race pace than Oscar and if Lando was in the lead he would have bolted off like in Zandvoort and beaten what ever Hail Mary Ferrari tried? I wonder
Just a fan's point of view

mwillems

CjC wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 19:38
mwillems wrote:
Zak nailing it.

Is Zak suggesting that he and/or the team expected Lando to have better race pace than Oscar and if Lando was in the lead he would have bolted off like in Zandvoort and beaten what ever Hail Mary Ferrari tried? I wonder
If you simply take it on face value it means if Lando was faster there wouldn't be an issue.

In the article Zak makes clear that any team orders will be a race by race decision between him and Andreas and that they are a 2 car team. I'm sure we'll see support for Lando though, just light touch as and when it's needed.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

venkyhere wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 18:09
Ben1980 wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 17:34
There isn't a blanket strategy, but generally people talk with the benefit of hindsight, a d then act like they are the experts.

But Merc and Red Bull both 2 stopped here, so you would have yo say they also made poor calls?
Merc and Redbull didn't have the pace, neither have they had the tyre life in the recent past, when track temp is high. Moreover, this a fresh asphalt, low downforce track. It's the obvious thing to do, for them.

I re-iterate, such calls are situations specific. McLaren, in my observation have been making 'lets err on the side of caution' calls - even when they have such a dominant car, with superior pace, and superior tyre life.
They don't have a dominant car. And they didn't have superior tyre life.

They do have the consistently best car, but not always the best car.

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 20:06
CjC wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 19:38
mwillems wrote:
Zak nailing it.

If you simply take it on face value it means if Lando was faster there wouldn't be an issue.

In the article Zak makes clear that any team orders will be a race by race decision between him and Andreas and that they are a 2 car team. I'm sure we'll see support for Lando though, just light touch as and when it's needed.
I do think they will be more clear on opening lap battles, or anything that can impact the team.

I would be surprised to see another move so early in a race again.

CjC
CjC

Correct, it we recall the previous number one, number 2 situations Schumacher, Alonso, Hakkinen, Vettel etc basically destroyed their team mates so made it easy for the team.
I’m sure Lando knows that he needs to raise his game again to step ahead of Oscar but I wonder if Oscar would allow Lando to step ahead and just up his own game too.

I’m sure my thoughts have already been shared somewhere in the last 25 pages since the chequered flag on Sunday :lol:

Ben1980
Ben1980

CjC wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 20:17
Correct, it we recall the previous number one, number 2 situations Schumacher, Alonso, Hakkinen, Vettel etc basically destroyed their team mates so made it easy for the team.
I’m sure Lando knows that he needs to raise his game again to step ahead of Oscar but I wonder if Oscar would allow Lando to step ahead and just up his own game too.

I’m sure my thoughts have already been shared somewhere in the last 25 pages since the chequered flag on Sunday :lol:
I honestly think one will leave to be number 1 elsewhere. Maybe 2026 if Max leaves RBR ( for Aston??)

Slahinki
Slahinki

McLarenMor wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 19:35
At the end of the day, the team lost points and an almost for sure 1-2 because of that move, no way around it.
It is behind where it would have been on WCC, and also further than it could have been with one of it's drivers on WDC.
If we are being conservative, Lando could have been 10 points closer to VER with team orders in Hungary and Monza, and 'could-should' 17 points closer if he would have won, which was very probable, without the lap 1 overtake.
That is closing a 35 points gap (10 Hungary, 8 Holland, 17 Monza) in 3 races, with 8 to go and a gap of 45.
It is insane to me that they had 0 belief in themselves and in Lando closing that gap from Hungary to this Sunday.
Who says next year would be a walk in the park?
When this opportunities come, you don't waste it just tn 'let them race',it can be a ones in a life time oppertunity for some.
I see their relationship as broken after Monza(as could have been seen from the cool down room onwards), given how Lando moved over in Hungary, while Piaste is aware of the championship situation and was very aggressive.
it would have been in a much better shape team was emphatic with backing Lando since Hungary, and telling Oscar, you get your chance next year.
it has nothing to do with a 'one-car' team, it has everything to do with a VERY realistic chance of winning both championships, to winning one and a prayer for the other.
Yep, there's a time and a place for letting your drivers fight, this isn't it and hasn't been for a while now.

CjC
CjC

Ben1980 wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 20:22
CjC wrote:

I honestly think one will leave to be number 1 elsewhere. Maybe 2026 if Max leaves RBR ( for Aston??)
They both might leave at the end of their contracts :lol:
Aren’t both contracted till the end of 2025?
It’s a brave move to sign for another team next season IF McLaren still have a race winning/ championship winning car in 2025.

It won’t just be team personnel CVs that are flying across Zak’s desk every week if Lando or Oscar leave :lol:

Ben1980
Ben1980

CjC wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 20:41
Ben1980 wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 20:22
CjC wrote:

They both might leave at the end of their contracts :lol:
Aren’t both contracted till the end of 2025?
It’s a brave move to sign for another team next season IF McLaren still have a race winning/ championship winning car in 2025.

It won’t just be team personnel CVs that are flying across Zak’s desk every week if Lando or Oscar leave :lol:
I will be surprised if they have a championship winning car next year.

Which is why I am surprised with some of the decisions this year. I think they have a jump on others, and need to be all in to win both titles however possible.

I fully expect RB to be charging next year, and Ferrari have just upgraded. Merc is unknown, as they have stuck a schoolkid in the seat.

geogate
geogate

Norris knows damn well he isnt doing a good job this year. Oscar isn't going to leave any time soon - if ever their was a guy confident enough in himself to be fine with anyone as his team mate, it is oscar

Ben1980
Ben1980

geogate wrote:
03 Sep 2024, 21:55
Norris knows damn well he isnt doing a good job this year. Oscar isn't going to leave any time soon - if ever their was a guy confident enough in himself to be fine with anyone as his team mate, it is oscar
In reality both have probably underperformed. If the car is as good as many say.

I still think the car wasn't as clearly in front as many said.

I do still expect Lando to beat Oscar in coming seasons.