2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Lucky wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 14:07
Emag wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 14:01
Lucky wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 13:42

What is Piastri's level then? After all, he loses very confidently to a bad Lando in qualifying and racing
I have never praised Piastri either. I have given him the benefit of the doubt since this is only his second year in F1 and in Lando's second year in F1 he got outscored by Carlos. But Oscar hasn't exactly been mega-impressive when you take into consideration how many races this year he has been struggling with tire wear when Lando has had race-leading pace.

Nevertheless Lando has always been a great qualifier (generally speaking), even in his rookie season. Although this year he has been making more mistakes than usual in qualifying too.

Qualifying isn't everything though. George is destroying Lewis in their respective head-to-head. Even though people are saying this is one of the worst Lewis seasons in a while, he still is some 40 points ahead in the standings.

But the fact that Lando hasn't been able to outscore Oscar, the rookie teammate in his second year, in the last 8 or so races tells you everything.
13-3 score in qualifying, Lando is not doing well in qualifying.
241-197 race score, Lando does not race well.
The worst things about McLaren this season are strategists and management, and they are responsible for most of the blame for Norris being so far away from Max.
Even as it is, it is close. So close that if the safety car hadn't swapped Lando and Oscar's fortunes in Miami they'd be on the same points.

In any case, pointing fingers at Oscar doesn't make Lando a better driver. If he does win the WDC he'll be one of the weakest champions of the sport.

Lando is a better driver than Oscar today. But Oscar has racing instincts that Lando appears not to have, and for the future, this is where my money is at now. 7 seasons should be enough to iron out the flaws.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Henri
Henri

https://x.com/F1GuyDan/status/1830931245636952511 oscar has bern excellent in the past 8 races nealy matching norris for points.. let's see who outscores who in the next 8 races

Lucky
Lucky

mwillems wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 14:19
Lucky wrote:
Emag wrote:

I have never praised Piastri either. I have given him the benefit of the doubt since this is only his second year in F1 and in Lando's second year in F1 he got outscored by Carlos. But Oscar hasn't exactly been mega-impressive when you take into consideration how many races this year he has been struggling with tire wear when Lando has had race-leading pace.

Nevertheless Lando has always been a great qualifier (generally speaking), even in his rookie season. Although this year he has been making more mistakes than usual in qualifying too.

Qualifying isn't everything though. George is destroying Lewis in their respective head-to-head. Even though people are saying this is one of the worst Lewis seasons in a while, he still is some 40 points ahead in the standings.

But the fact that Lando hasn't been able to outscore Oscar, the rookie teammate in his second year, in the last 8 or so races tells you everything.
The worst things about McLaren this season are strategists and management, and they are responsible for most of the blame for Norris being so far away from Max.
Even as it is, it is close. So close that if the safety car hadn't swapped Lando and Oscar's fortunes in Miami they'd be on the same points.

In any case, pointing fingers at Oscar doesn't make Lando a better driver. If he does win the WDC he'll be one of the weakest champions of the sport.
Oscar started to lose speed in Miami, so he went to pit, Lando was the fastest on the track at that time, so it was not luck, but working with tires and of course Oscar fans forget how Max knocked out Lando in Austria, which is why Oscar got a lot of points relative to Norris.

Emag
Emag

Lucky wrote:
Emag wrote:
Lucky wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 13:42

What is Piastri's level then? After all, he loses very confidently to a bad Lando in qualifying and racing

Ah, there is the person who looks at numbers and refuses to look past it for context.

It's not Lando who had weak Q3 last runs at Bahrain, Japan, Imola, Monaco, Silverstone and Spa.
It's not Lando who has dropped points in Saudi, Monaco, Spain, Austria, Hungary, Belgium and Italy.

Apparently being only 40 points up on your rookie teammate at his second season is considered good performance even though you only had one DNF while your teammate got f*cked in China, Miami, Imola and Silverstone through not fault of his own.

mwillems

Lucky wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 14:23
mwillems wrote:
Lucky wrote:

Oscar started to lose speed in Miami, so he went to pit, Lando was the fastest on the track at that time, so it was not luck, but working with tires and of course Oscar fans forget how Max knocked out Lando in Austria, which is why Oscar got a lot of points relative to Norris.
A safety car clear gifted Lando the win. It was luck. Oscar's undercut that he earned from being faster than Lando till that point in the race would have opened the gap. But then Lando got an almost free stop and Sainz took Oscar out after being overtaken.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

In reality, everything is timing.

Oscar has got lucky, coming into this Mclaren. It's helped build his profile up straight away, and given him opportunities Lando didn't have for 5 (?) Years.

It's also easy to forget that they are pretty much the same generation bring 16months apart in age. Lando won't decline and Oscar doesn't have tge age gap to suddenly get better with age.

They are both very good drivers, though neither stand outs as exceptional. And I do think Leclerc is more rounded than both.

Neither are perfect, and will both have done well this year, both could have done better in some ways.

I would like to see Oscar really challenging at the front with someone not his own teammate.

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 14:45
Lucky wrote:
mwillems wrote:

A safety car clear gifted Lando the win. It was luck. Oscar's undercut that he earned from being faster than Lando till that point in the race would have opened the gap. But then Lando got an almost free stop and Sainz took Oscar out after being overtaken.
Safety cars are always luck. Swings and roundabouts though, as with no safety car in Canada, Lando was running away from the field. While the team weren't perfect, the safety car was bad luck at that time.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Emag wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 14:43
Lucky wrote:
Emag wrote:

Ah, there is the person who looks at numbers and refuses to look past it for context.

It's not Lando who had weak Q3 last runs at Bahrain, Japan, Imola, Monaco, Silverstone and Spa.
It's not Lando who has dropped points in Saudi, Monaco, Spain, Austria, Hungary, Belgium and Italy.

Apparently being only 40 points up on your rookie teammate at his second season is considered good performance even though you only had one DNF while your teammate got f*cked in China, Miami, Imola and Silverstone through not fault of his own.
He isn't a rookie.

Being 40 points up on any teammate is good.

Emag
Emag

Ben1980 wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 14:56
Emag wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 14:43
Lucky wrote:

He isn't a rookie.

Being 40 points up on any teammate is good.

What exactly would you call someone with 1.5 seasons worth of experience in F1, a driver who only has 25% of Lando's experience in the sport?

On recent years, the only driver to beat a more experienced teammate in his second season in F1 is Charles Leclerc back in 2019. And Seb's reputation went down the drain after that, even if Charles has proved himself to be a generational talent.

mwillems

Ben1980 wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 14:54
mwillems wrote:
Lucky wrote:

Safety cars are always luck. Swings and roundabouts though, as with no safety car in Canada, Lando was running away from the field. While the team weren't perfect, the safety car was bad luck at that time.
Yes but in this instance it is what football fans would call a "six pointer", the swing in points between the drivers being very significant. Oscar has also had bad strategy calls, and this has always been my point on here. Folks talk like it is only Lando who suffered from some daft strategy. Lucky is one of those, who seems to only ever talk about the poor strategy Lando has had.

Luck does straighten itself out. But look at it another way, there is no clear gap between our drivers that circumstances couldn't explain away.

Someone mentioned the points over the last 8 races. It is 10 races that Oscar and Lando have matched each other. I said just before Miami that Oscar was not enjoying a car that struggled with it's front grip and that Miami would be a game changer for him Oscar always set up a car to have more front than Lando. As soon as that issue with the Mclaren was rectified at Miami Oscar has matched Lando and I see no reason why this won't continue.

Before long, if Oscar continues like this, many will have to realise that he is matching the guy they said was at the same level of Max and Lewis. Neither are at that level.

But truth be told, this sport is about how you can convert your performances to points and not about tyres. As much as Lando learns how to handle the car brilliantly (and this for me is his strength), you cannot teach a mentality in that same way that Lando has soaked up the engineers advice and data. And it is telling that for all Lando's talents, that it is the mental/instinctual aspect of his racing that is holding back his natural talents, and it is this that Oscar appears to have had since day 1.
Last edited by mwillems on 07 Sep 2024, 15:31, edited 2 times in total.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

In sports, a rookie is generally someone in their first year. After that rookie tag has gone.

I am also expecting Lando to beat Oscar in Oscar's second season.

And, I wouldn't be surprised if he beats him in his 3rd season aswell.

Oscar is driving arguably the fastest car out there, he has experience and is a previous F2 champion, I would damn well expect him to be fighting his teammate.

He isn't some naive little kid, and he isn't a rookie.

Ben1980
Ben1980

mwillems wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 15:13
Ben1980 wrote:
07 Sep 2024, 14:54
mwillems wrote:

Yes but in this instance it is what football fans would call a "six pointer", the swing in points between the drivers being very significant. Oscar has also had bad strategy calls, and this has always been my point on here. Folks talk like it is only Lando who suffered from some daft strategy. Lucky is one of those, who seems to only ever talk about the poor strategy Lando has had.

Luck does straighten itself out. But look at it another way, there is no clear gap between our drivers that circumstances couldn't explain away.

Someone mentioned the points over the last 8 races. It is 10 races that Oscar and Lando have matched each other. I said just before Miami that Oscar was not enjoying a car that struggled with it's front grip. Oscar always set up a car to have more front than Lando. As soon as that issue with the Mclaren was rectified Oscar has matched Lando and I see no reason why this won't continue.

Before long, if Oscar continues like this, many will have to realise that he is matching the guy they said was at the same level of Max and Lewis. Neither are at that level.

But truth be told, this sport is about how you can convert your performances to points and not about tyres. As much as Lando learns how to handle the car brilliantly (and this for me is his strength), you cannot teach a mentality in that same way that Lando has soaked up the engineers advice and data. And it is telling that for all Lando's talents, that it is the mental/instinctual aspect of his racing that is holding back his natural talents, and it is this that Oscar appears to have had since day 1.
I dont think either if them are at the same level as Max and Lewis, but I also think Max and Lewis were able to get into cars that built them to where they are today. Lewis wasn't going anywhere at Mclaren and if Merc hadn't come good, could have been a bit of a footnote.

But it's how they handle what they get at the sharp end that stands them out.

I think Leclerc could dominate if given the chance. But, I also think there are drivers who are probably good enough just haven't had the opportunity.

I hope both take the opportunity and that it lasts into future seasons.

mwillems

Max and Lewis can drive anything. Lando seems pretty able to drive around issues too. He can learn his way around a problem as well as anyone.

I question his ability to manage his risks in the heat of battle when it really means something.

When it was only qualification on the line he screwed up Qualy, instead of accepting the limits he went beyond his limits like a bad gambler. Over driving.

It is the same problem in some key moments this year, overtakes and race starts, which is why I refer to this as a longstanding issue.

Whatever you want to call it. Judgment, focus, instinct, pressure... it's this mental aspect that screws him over. Something I've been highlighting since season 2 which I'm sure some remember.

Dudes clearly got the ability to drive a car as good as anyone, and i would include Max and Lewis... until something is actually on the line.

-Bandit

Jurgen von Diaz

mwillems wrote:Max and Lewis can drive anything. Lando seems pretty able to drive around issues too. He can learn his way around a problem as well as anyone.
I wouldn't say Lewis can drive anything. In fact, his weakness is non-championship cars. With those cars, he has a hard time against his teammates, such as Button and Russell. When the car is at its best, he performs better and better. But we don't know what the situation is now; 2021 was three years ago, and he is getting older.

Formula 1 fan 1996
Formula 1 fan 1996

Is it realistic that Mclaren will fight for the driver's title in 2025?