2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Vanja #66 wrote:
09 Sep 2024, 19:41
Then in Miami Checo had a 9.5s gap in 16 laps already, which would have been 33s over entire race. T
He badly flat spotted his tires in a T1 divebomb on the first lap...

I don't know what to tell you. Look at the qualy gaps between Verstappen and Perez before and after Imola update. It's 2-3 tenths in the first 5 races including Miami. Starting in Imola it was 6-7 tenths.

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP wrote:
09 Sep 2024, 22:34
Vanja #66 wrote:
09 Sep 2024, 19:41
Then in Miami Checo had a 9.5s gap in 16 laps already, which would have been 33s over entire race. T
He badly flat spotted his tires in a T1 divebomb on the first lap...

https://i.postimg.cc/2yfnkwW5/image.png

I don't know what to tell you. Look at the qualy gaps between Verstappen and Perez before and after Imola update. It's 2-3 tenths in the first 5 races including Miami. Starting in Imola it was 6-7 tenths.
Classic European Perez average performance.

By the way, something clearly happened in Miami. Verstappen complained about the car the entire weekend, from quali to the sprint to the actual race (i.e. I can't turn the car, etc.). Ferrari out of nowhere was way closer to Red Bull compared to previous races which was absolutely strange.

At the time we thought they probably made a mistake with the setup, but it's highly likely that wasn't the reason.
McLaren didn't recover 0.7s on RB only with the Miami upgrade, that is simply impossible.

Mercedes made a huge jump when they ditched the aggressive front wing design for a more conventional one. Ferrari slightly improved with the Imola packaged, but not by much.
Last edited by Xyz22 on 09 Sep 2024, 22:57, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Xyz22 wrote:
09 Sep 2024, 22:50
Classic European Perez average performance.
Red Bull brought upgrades at the start of the euro season in every year and this where the car became edgier and went away from Perez's preference. It's not coincidence.

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
But why are we separating those two scenarios? Why would it be impossible that there was damage done in Miami and that Imola update set them in a wrong direction? I'd even think it would make sense that Imola update was problematic precisely because there was something done to the car in Miami they couldn't exploit any more, but designed their update around

If I'm honest, it would have been a genuine brilliant RBR move to integrate a gray area mechanical steering assist system to improve low speed performance. It would allow them to design a stiff suspension for better high speed performance and reduce the low speed traction losses that come with it
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

Vanja #66 wrote:
10 Sep 2024, 09:22
AR3-GP wrote:
But why are we separating those two scenarios? Why would it be impossible that there was damage done in Miami and that Imola update set them in a wrong direction? I'd even think it would make sense that Imola update was problematic precisely because there was something done to the car in Miami they couldn't exploit any more, but designed their update around

If I'm honest, it would have been a genuine brilliant RBR move to integrate a gray area mechanical steering assist system to improve low speed performance. It would allow them to design a stiff suspension for better high speed performance and reduce the low speed traction losses that come with it
T-valve on brakes is missing on RB-20 sence Miami. That’s why Red Bull is not winning. Car balance is gone, no more hidden T-valve.

chrisc90

Fer.Fan wrote:
10 Sep 2024, 10:56
Vanja #66 wrote:
10 Sep 2024, 09:22
AR3-GP wrote:

T-valve on brakes is missing on RB-20 sence Miami. That’s why Red Bull is not winning. Car balance is gone, no more hidden T-valve.
Any proof?

organic

Praying for this Austin upgrade to work :mrgreen: if it works they can rescue the WDC. If not, well it's biggest technical failure in years. Probably bigger than merc's zeropod saga

Bill
Bill

redbull front wing look simply it lacks sophistication compared to mercedes ,how did they miss the flexy wings for which they were the pioneer. The focused more on floor for downforce but made car more difficult to drive .the is were newey leadership direction would have been important.

Emag
Emag

Things to note here :

1 - Australia removed because we don't have a marker on Max. Monaco removed because it's a procession with no real indication of true pace. Canada is removed for Ferrari since it's not representative data.

2 - Gap between Ferrari, McLaren and Mercedes remains relatively stable throughout and the jumps are easily explainable. Mercedes basically admits they are struggling with the car after Saudi (car did not work on high-speed). They start to recover at Imola (and actually take another step in Monaco with the new front wing is quali gaps are to be taken into consideration). Mercedes is generally flattered by low-temp races, hence the "wavy" form in later races.
Ferrari hits trouble with porpoising after the Spain upgrade. They fix it somewhat in Hungary and Italy brings an even bigger improvement. Note that Ferrari is an outlier in Italy because they were the only one to 1-stop, whereas the gap between Merc, McLaren and RedBull is representative as they all 2-stopped.

3 - The only thing that sticks out like a sore thumb here is the MASSIVE chasm in performance deficit that is instantly overcome by all teams that are directly following RedBull after Miami. McLaren overturns a 0.2% deficit to Ferrari to a 0.2% advantage with their huge upgrade, but what is interesting is that Ferrari, without bringing any sort of upgrade also completely cut the gap to RedBull at Miami. Even Mercedes, which at this point was still struggling with their car, manage to get their best performance of the season relative to RedBull.

Alexf1
Alexf1

Anyone got the clip from GP Confidential where they report that Red Bull were asked by FIA to take this off the car? viewtopic.php?t=31566&start=1185

dialtone
dialtone

Alexf1 wrote:Anyone got the clip from GP Confidential where they report that Red Bull were asked by FIA to take this off the car? viewtopic.php?t=31566&start=1185
No car loses that much performance overnight, the failed update makes no sense as the team would see immediately it was Miami related. This makes more sense.

FNTC
FNTC

Newey talking about the RB18, 19 and to some extent 20 from around 17:40 onwards

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

FNTC wrote:
10 Sep 2024, 16:44

Newey talking about the RB18, 19 and to some extent 20 from around 17:40 onwards
Great interview. Interesting that he still thinks there are things about that RB18 concept that people still don't know.

Xyz22
Xyz22

FNTC wrote:
10 Sep 2024, 16:44

Yeah this guy is just in another league

Paa

Bill wrote:
10 Sep 2024, 13:28
redbull front wing look simply it lacks sophistication compared to mercedes ,how did they miss the flexy wings for which they were the pioneer. The focused more on floor for downforce but made car more difficult to drive .the is were newey leadership direction would have been important.
I was just thinking about this. Red Bull completely ignored the wings during recent years, focusing almost entirely on the floor and to some extent to the sidepods. The saying was that there are much more to be gained from floor, which was probably true for the first 1-2 years. However, I think they got the the point where only marginal gains can be made with the floor or only at the cost of stability/driveability.

And now it seems obvious that their wing game is very basic compared to other teams. All other top teams have more variants suiting different track types and they also have more sophisticated solutions both front and rear.

Maybe Red Bull should look into that. It is possible that they beyond the direct gains of wing development, they could unlock extra potential on top by finding synergies.