2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2024 Aston Martin | Aramco F1 Team

KimiRai wrote:
11 Sep 2024, 18:52
Remember how Alonso was a bit grumpy in body language this season? He's been extremely happy these last days :D I wonder why

:lol:

-wkst-
-wkst-

Schmidt in his video blog thinks that Newey will just work on the 2026 car, because it’s already too late for the 2025 car. He furthermore believes that Newey can still help for 2025 at track, because he seems to be very good in translating driver’s comments into a better set up, finding the right window. Even Marko said to Schmidt that RBR would have less problems currently with Newey, because he would be a big help to find the right set up.

He furthermore believes that Newey (the great old school designer) and Cardile (the great organizer) could be a very good match.

He added that Stroll should stop throwing mobile phones around in his anger (Imola), because Newey hates such a behavior.

KimiRai
KimiRai

-wkst- wrote:
11 Sep 2024, 20:13
Schmidt in his video blog thinks that Newey will just work on the 2026 car, because it’s already too late for the 2025 car. He furthermore believes that Newey can still help for 2025 at track, because he seems to be very good in translating driver’s comments into a better set up, finding the right window. Even Marko said to Schmidt that RBR would have less problems currently with Newey, because he would be a big help to find the right set up.

He furthermore believes that Newey (the great old school designer) and Cardile (the great organizer) could be a very good match.

He added that Stroll should stop throwing mobile phones around in his anger (Imola), because Newey hates such a behavior.
Nugnes had reported some time ago that the request for Cardile was made by Newey himself. On the contrary The Race's latest video on Newey says the signing of Cardile was made before Newey.

Not really sure who is right, but at least what Nugnes said makes some sense, it is a pretty big coincidence that they both end in the same team after all
Last edited by KimiRai on 11 Sep 2024, 22:40, edited 7 times in total.

Big Gun
Big Gun

I wouldnt be suprised if Alonso gets a contact extension to 2027. He been waiting over a decade for a chance like this. IMO he will move mountains and hours in the simulator to maintain his speed, and wouldnt be suprised if he starts gapping Stroll like he was last year.
After China his peformance relative to Stroll declined, to a point when the head to head in qually was close like 7-5, then Stroll came out and said he is matching Alonso, and since then Alonso has put him back in his place.
I do genuinely think Alonso has been driver coaching Stroll and Stroll has improved. But think from now on Alonso may give him the Vandoorne treatment and not be so helpfull .
Alonso has politically done well with his public support of Stroll.
If the car becomes a front runner again Alonso will turn back to savage mode

Waz
Waz

When Fallows came in '22, there were immediate improvements in the next update package.

There's every reason to believe the same could happen again. It's important to build momentum and gain that experience of fighting at the front, especially for the pitwall and crew.

It's a different kind of pressure, and the last thing they want in 26 is to fumble a title challenger.

Jambier

Newey will work on 2026 car

But of course, he can already share all his knowledge about current regs and give his opinion on 24-25 cars

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Yes you would expect Aston Martin's in-season development next year (for whatever they allocate to 2025) to be impactful. Although there arguably isn't any benefit in chasing higher WCC positions just before 2026. Imagine AMR showing up in 2026 with the fastest car and P5 windtunnel and CFD allocation. :lol:

KimiRai
KimiRai

Rikrikrik wrote:
27 Aug 2024, 16:36
Carlos Miquel, the spanish journalist said . AM is divided in two teams again, like last year ( where factory team had an ideias to development and the track team had other ideias) but now, some people would like develope their own ideias and the other side would like copy the other teams, specially mclaren , and Alonso's "spying" the mclaren's floor was a message to the team saying " i prefer u copy the other cars".
I wonder if there is some kind of internal prejudice because of the pink Mercedes saga and how they got mocked for doing that which makes them not want to ‘copy’ another team. Of course this is not my expertise at all, , but thinking of my own work I cannot really see how taking inspiration from someone would be a bad thing. You would have to be very full of yourself to believe that there arent brilliant minds in other teams who may come up with better solutions than yours. Newey is the first one to copy others if an idea is good, the red notebook of his is not just his own ideas.

diffuser wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 00:23
The track team don't develop, they can say whatever they want but they can't make parts. The track teams opinion matters to as point. In the end the track team telling the factory how to do things is equivalent to me telling the God how the world should be.

It is my opinion that, for the most part, the PHDs are in the factory and all the guys not good enough to be in the factor are part of the race team.
What if, for example,the track team tells the factory guys that they cannot run the car as low as the wind tunnel tells them to? What if the PHDs are wrong and data is misleading them? Newey is a very good race engineer too, does that mean he's not good enough?

diffuser wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 14:38
The factory don't have to listen to them at all. So when they say they are in 2 groups, we'll the factory does whatever it wants. The race team is just noise.
This is the definition of arrogance.I dont think it is good to ignore concerns from a part of the team especially when you keep failing and failing, but maybe Im wrong.
Last edited by KimiRai on 12 Sep 2024, 05:31, edited 13 times in total.

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 01:58
Rikrikrik wrote:
27 Aug 2024, 16:36
Carlos Miquel, the spanish journalist said . AM is divided in two teams again, like last year ( where factory team had an ideias to development and the track team had other ideias) but now, some people would like develope their own ideias and the other side would like copy the other teams, specially mclaren , and Alonso's "spying" the mclaren's floor was a message to the team saying " i prefer u copy the other cars".
I wonder if there is some kind of internal prejudice because of the pink Mercedes saga and how they got mocked for doing that, which makes them not want to ‘copy’ another team. Obviously this is not my expertise at all but I cannot really see how taking inspiration from someone would be a "bad" thing. You would have to be very full of yourself to believe that there arent brilliant minds in other teams who may come up with better solutions than yours. Newey is the first one to copy others if an idea is good, the red notebook of his is not just his own ideas.

diffuser wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 00:23
The track team don't develop, they can say whatever they want but they can't make parts. The track teams opinion matters to as point. In the end the track team telling the factory how to do things is equivalent to me telling the God how the world should be.

It is my opinion that, for the most part, the PHDs are in the factory and all the guys not good enough to be in the factor are part of the race team.
What if the track team tells the factory guys that they cannot run the car as low as the wind tunnel tells them to? What if the PHDs and data are wrong? Newey is a very good race engineer too, does that mean he's not good enough? He says not to trust tools so much and he likes to listen to driver feedback a lot.

diffuser wrote:
28 Aug 2024, 14:38
The factory don't have to listen to them at all. So when they say they are in 2 groups, we'll the factory does whatever it wants. The race team is just noise.
This is the definition of arrogance. I think Newey would have fired you :D (and probably he will those at AM who think similarly)
Your making shiit up now...I'd listen to that all day long...but spanish journalists basically said that the track team was trying to dictate to the factory, how they should develop the car. Now that's ARROGANCE!

KimiRai
KimiRai

diffuser wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 02:44
Your making shiit up now...I'd listen to that all day long...but spanish journalists basically said that the track team was trying to dictate to the factory, how they should develop the car. Now that's ARROGANCE!
What if they are right? Its not out of the realm of possibilities but you make it seem like it is. Maybe in the previous regs where you could just bolt on downforce and it would stick that would be enough, but now it's much more complicated and what the car actually does on track matters a lot (because you cannot simulate porpoising in the tunnel etc)

But I must insist that I have no clue, I just repeat what I read elsewhere. Hopefully Newey has the answers to this.
Last edited by KimiRai on 12 Sep 2024, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.

peewon

KimiRai wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 02:55
diffuser wrote:
What if they are right? It's not out of the realm of possibilities but you make it seem like it is. Maybe in the previous regs where you could just bolt on downforce and it would stick that would be enough, but it's clear that it's much more complicated now and what the car actually does on track matters a lot (because you cannot simulate porpoising in the tunnel etc)

But I must insist that I have no clue, I just repeat what I read elsewhere. Hopefully Newey has the answers to this.
Yeah we've seen many teams have correlation issues between the simulator/wind tunnel and the real world. I think these cars are complex and sensitive to many things which cant always be captured with tools. Mercedes with their doomed zero sidepods, AM with their upgrades, VCarb with theirs and even Red Bull seem to think they were led down a wrong path by simulation results.

Although both have an engineering background and around the same ears of experience, Stella has risen through the ranks in F1 only whereas before becoming TP of AM Krack's highest position was chief engineer and that too back in 2007, IIRC. Thats an absence of almost 14 years from F1.

Theres no way Krack will feel equally confident as Stella in making decisions or specially going against opinions of people who have more intimate experience with F1. But he seems to be levelheaded in his assessments usually. I jt dont think he has the gravitas to make bold decisions or maybe the personality.

KimiRai
KimiRai

peewon wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 03:58
Although both have an engineering background and around the same ears of experience, Stella has risen through the ranks in F1 only whereas before becoming TP of AM Krack's highest position was chief engineer and that too back in 2007, IIRC. Thats an absence of almost 14 years from F1.

Theres no way Krack will feel equally confident as Stella in making decisions or specially going against opinions of people who have more intimate experience with F1. But he seems to be levelheaded in his assessments usually. I jt dont think he has the gravitas to make bold decisions or maybe the personality.
McLaren in paper do not have as many great engineers but they are a very well run team. Andrea Stella has been able to organise their group and give responsibilities to everyone like Ross Brawn did.

Krack is a very weak TP and when @-wkst- posts that he's surprised Krack is still around I have to agree with him. We'll see I guess. Newey will have the power to do what he desires, but there could be some weak links he needs to fire. (is Newey the de facto team principal now?)
Last edited by KimiRai on 12 Sep 2024, 06:48, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

diffuser wrote:

As we've seen with RB/AMR/Merc, the track team has to deal with the imaginary performance that the factory developed. It is not arrogance. The track doesn't lie. A factory which doesn't listen to the trackside team? Now that is arrogance.

Chuckjr

The Cheshire grin on Fred’s face is epic. :mrgreen: That guy has a new lease on life. Well done Stroll landing the big fish. Wow. =D> =D> =D>
Watching F1 since 1986.

-wkst-
-wkst-

KimiRai wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 04:33
peewon wrote:
12 Sep 2024, 03:58

McLaren in paper do not have as many great engineers but they are a very well run team. Andrea Stella has been able to organise their group and give responsibilities to everyone like Ross Brawn did.

Krack is a very weak TP and when @-wkst- posts that he's surprised Krack is still around I have to agree with him. We'll see I guess. Newey will have the power to do what he desires, but there could be some weak links he needs to fire. (is Newey the de facto team principal now?)
Newey talked about the 3 departments (aero, mechanical design and vehicle perfomance) 2-3 times at his presentation.

I could imagine that Fallows and Blandin (deputy) are working at the same level (aero) as Furbatto and McCullough in the future, report to Cardile as the (CTO) head above, who reports to godfather Newey.