2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
geogate
geogate

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

be interesting race now - some people here seem to have forgotten how to enjoy watching motor racing. Dont know off the top of my head what rules are for changing engine after qualifying - id guess it means starting from the pitlane so don't know if its worth it - but id love to see norris here with a new engine and bit between teeth.
As some have said, the constructors was always far from done - everyone is so flipping reactionary - and if we lose a bunch of points to RB and Ferrari tomorrow, it is still far from done.

Ben1980
Ben1980

Darth-Piekus wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:19
Swed3121 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:15
Saying that someone showed the other one or whatever is not constructive criticism, it is is unnecessary hate, as before this is not the Oscar Piastri thread but McLaren. Please take your hate somewhere else
As I said many times I watch from 1988 and follow Mclaren since then when a lot here weren't even born. I have every right to criticize bad performance and even if it was bad luck this time that doesn't excuse all year. If you can't take it you are free to ignore whoever you don't like but don't play police on me.
Criticise poor performance, that's fine. Not sure today's issue was poor performance.

Emag
Emag

Ben1980 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:19
Emag wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:11
I don't care for personal insults just because some people here refuse to view things objectively. In my opinion those people should be banned out of here.

They can join social media fan clubs if they want to see their favorite driver gloated every day.

I am trying to say that he did make a mistake. The yellow flag was ultimately what ended his qualifying, but to use it as an excuse to cover up the fact that he ran wide is such a bad look when everyone can just view the replay and confirm the mistake was made before he saw the flag. Whether it would have been enough without the yellow flag or not, nobody knows, but it's annoying that people just dismiss it entirely as if it didn't happen.
But, this is the assumption that the mistake happened regardless, and not seeing it linked to the flags.

The issue is you blamed it all on a mistake, without accepting the flags were part of it all.

Even if he does mistake, it would likely be irrelevant and ge gets through, similar to Oscar's ladt lap mistake or scrappy lap.
If you go back you will see that I specifically said I do not care for the yellow flags because I was talking about the mistake. These things matter and they add up long-term in a season (as they have). As I said, whether or not he would have gotten through with the mistake nobody really knows. But it's a very critical part of the track because you lose time through the entire straight.

I don't even remember now if he was fully off-track, maybe track-limits would take the lap away regardless.

It doesn't matter. It's done. But to completely ignore it just because the yellow flag happened is wrong.

Then people start attacking you for no reason because you're criticizing their favorite driver. Lando is the lead driver. He is objectively better than Oscar and the fluctuating performances he goes through sometimes do not change that.

But on the context of a title fight, he has underdelivered. I don't know how anyone can (with arguments) bring up the point to prove the opposite for this season.

Darth-Piekus

Ben1980 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:21
Criticise poor performance, that's fine. Not sure today's issue was poor performance.
I'm criticizing his performance all year. Today was bad luck but that doesn't excuse how many times he has fumbled with the fastest car. How many qualifications and race starts and he is in his 6th year. I remember when he joined Mclaren the media calling him the next Hamilton. There was a point where there was an ultimatum to Mclaren to give him a championship winning car by 2025 or else he might leave for Red Bull. Here's the fastest car. Where is he now? Is it normal that Lando has the same number of wins as Hamilton who has the 4th best car? But some people who think they know it all translate constructive criticism as hate.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 14 Sep 2024, 15:27, edited 1 time in total.

Dimond
Dimond

It seems to me that Lando just prematurely reduced the speed, before reaching Ocon's car, and before the first screen with yellow light. He probably had the warning on the wheel too, but on the replay I couldn't see where he had crossed the yellow flag zone on the track. The yellow turned back to the green before he passed the screen.

mwillems

Tomsky wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:20
mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:16
Emag wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:11
I don't care for personal insults just because some people here refuse to view things objectively. In my opinion those people should be banned out of here.

They can join social media fan clubs if they want to see their favorite driver gloated every day.

I am trying to say that he did make a mistake. The yellow flag was ultimately what ended his qualifying, but to use it as an excuse to cover up the fact that he ran wide is such a bad look when everyone can just view the replay and confirm the mistake was made before he saw the flag. Whether it would have been enough without the yellow flag or not, nobody knows, but it's annoying that people just dismiss it entirely as if it didn't happen.
I'm watching on my phone whilst feeding my 2 year old so didn't catch. I'll watch later.

Best thing to do is ignore him and remind everyone they can do the same. Less it is read, the less trouble it causes.

Regarding objectivity, people are less objective on the heat of the moment, even more so after the last 2 weeks in the forum.
So what are you --- with him for?
And in English?
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

BMMR61

Some of the people here should be ashamed of the poor sportsmanship and abuse. The team and the drivers did a great job this weekend getting the car into a good setup after a pretty ordinary FP1,2,3. Lando had numerous laps destroyed over the two days, the worst being encountering the time bomb that's the Alpine. He was marginally quicker than Oscar and on track to Q2 so people need to shut it. It's a devastating result, especially after all the unnecessary hype about being favourite for WDC etc etc. Just too much hype, too much hate.

Fantastic lap by Oscar and with the lower downforce setup and among the fastest trap speeds he should have opportunities in the race but Charles looks pretty impressive. I don't think he made any significant errors across the two days which is extraordinary around this track. Both Ferrari drivers, Mercedes drivers and Max made big errors. For his second visit here he's knocking it out of the park and every McLaren fan need to get behind him (and Lando).

chrisc90

Heres your onboard.

bauc

Lando was told by his race engineer to slow down, as soon as Lando slowed down, green flag was back on..... just a bad timing, that is all.
Now Oscar must take P1 into the first or 2nd corner and then to control the race from there.
With alternative strategy, Lando can still reach Max in the race, nothing in lost, nothing !
Last edited by bauc on 14 Sep 2024, 15:29, edited 1 time in total.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

BMMR61 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:27
Some of the people here should be ashamed of the poor sportsmanship and abuse. The team and the drivers did a great job this weekend getting the car into a good setup after a pretty ordinary FP1,2,3. Lando had numerous laps destroyed over the two days, the worst being encountering the time bomb that's the Alpine. He was marginally quicker than Oscar and on track to Q2 so people need to shut it. It's a devastating result, especially after all the unnecessary hype about being favourite for WDC etc etc. Just too much hype, too much hate.

Fantastic lap by Oscar and with the lower downforce setup and among the fastest trap speeds he should have opportunities in the race but Charles looks pretty impressive. I don't think he made any significant errors across the two days which is extraordinary around this track. Both Ferrari drivers, Mercedes drivers and Max made big errors. For his second visit here he's knocking it out of the park and every McLaren fan need to get behind him (and Lando).
Amen 🙏

Race pace looked good. Start on the hards is perhaps the play from where Norris is

Darth-Piekus

If the team chooses to change all the car parts will it force Lando to start from the pit lane?

bauc

Darth-Piekus wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:30
If the team chooses to change all the car parts will it force Lando to start from the pit lane?
Yes
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Ben1980
Ben1980

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:29
BMMR61 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:27

Amen 🙏

Race pace looked good. Start on the hards is perhaps the play from where Norris is
Then he won't get a good start as on slower tyres and everyone will go off!

Darth-Piekus

What are you allowed to change without starting from the pitlane?

Dimond
Dimond

On the bright side, Lando always has stellar performance in the race after a disaster quali