2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

No worries but I don't see a problem mentioning stories from the factory. It's a Mclaren thread after all. Still now that you mentioned it in another reality we could have been part of the same team. I started carting at the age of 5 back in 1989 in the dream of becoming the next Mclaren champion as Senna was my idol. Unfortunately Greece has no sponsors or any kind of support regarding racing and being a Mclaren F1 driver became an impossible dream. Now I'm just an accountant working for a company.

BMMR61

mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:18
Luscion wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:04
Karun's explanation of the yellow flag

https://dubz.co/c/571a8d
Yellow flag went well before the corner 4 seconds after it went off, he get's the corner wrong and also lifts on the straight when he sees Ocon with no yellow flag.

I'm not sure that the yellow was the cause for the corner, I do expect him to still be able to make that corner. It's unfortunate, but he then lifts because he sees a slow car and puts the nail in the coffin.

Fair play for safety first, but I think he was very overcautious here and I think the mistake.

Not only this. Looking at the telemetry Lando has not lifted before the corner one bit and the mistake is clearly on his exit and the fact that he then lifted again.
Will Joseph was reported as apologising on radio. Another example of unclear line of communication which doesn't happen between Oscar and Tom.

mwillems

BMMR61 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:24
mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:18
Luscion wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:04
Karun's explanation of the yellow flag

https://dubz.co/c/571a8d
Yellow flag went well before the corner 4 seconds after it went off, he get's the corner wrong and also lifts on the straight when he sees Ocon with no yellow flag.

I'm not sure that the yellow was the cause for the corner, I do expect him to still be able to make that corner. It's unfortunate, but he then lifts because he sees a slow car and puts the nail in the coffin.

Fair play for safety first, but I think he was very overcautious here and I think the mistake.

Not only this. Looking at the telemetry Lando has not lifted before the corner one bit and the mistake is clearly on his exit and the fact that he then lifted again.
Will Joseph was reported as apologising on radio. Another example of unclear line of communication which doesn't happen between Oscar and Tom.
Will Joseph doesn't talk with him until after he's slowed down on the onboards, but you do hear him talking at the start of the lap. If you can post evidence that I'm wrong then fine.

Can't see what the team did wrong though, apart from not warning him there was a slow moving car on track and warning when he approached. But still, he shouldn't have given up.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

geogate
geogate

watch the onboard posted earlier - its very clear the apology was a general sympathy rather for anything they did - and he finishes by saying "they shouldn't have done that" - which I take to mean the FIA shouldn't have thrown a yellow

mwillems

He lost a little time at the exit, unrelated to the yellow it looks.

But the big f*ck up is that he sees Ocon and lifts massively, when there is no yellow flag and the guy is not causing a danger or on his line. Even after the mistake he was over .5 up. He need such a tiny fraction to get through.

He wasn't complaining about the yellow before the corner. He was complaining about the yellow after. Was there a yellow after?

Edit: yes there was. It was a f*ck up, but not by Lando or Mclaren.
Last edited by mwillems on 14 Sep 2024, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

mwillems

Even after the mistake he had tons of time in hand.

Unless there is a yellow I can't see, The mistake was slowing for Ocon.

If there is no yellow, then I'm sorry, I'm not trying to cause trouble or upset anyway, but that is damning.

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:19
Tomsky wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:15
mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:03

Ignore list and report, please don't feed it, it encourages it.

Although, it is amusing to see my name pronounced with a German accent.
It's amazing how dumb you are to mistake Tomsk for Germany
I didn't, you put a spelt my name wrong and put a "v" in it :lol:
Tomsky wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:57
Mvillems, Emag, Geogate are not McLaren fans, they jerk off to Oscar.
Breaking my own advice here, but that one was too ironic to pass.
I don’t understand where they get these impressions tbh. I have literally bashed Oscar for being off the pace countless times. How one can frame me for being a blind supporter of a driver I think is overrated is beyond me.

Not that it matters in the context of the discussion, but for future reference, the only driver I can be a bit biased towards because he used to be my favorite driver for a long time, is Fernando Alonso.

None other.

Emag
Emag

Ben1980 wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:51
Emag wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:40
Just looking at it again, it's so badly managed overall. Under no circumstance should they have allowed a situation where both drivers had to rely on the last laps of the session to get out of f*king Q1 with a top 3 car.
Who did get through on 1 lap?
How is that in any way related to what I said? You can make 3 laps and still have minutes to spare to stand in the garage …

Completely irrelevant.

hollus

A firendly reminder to not feed the trolls.

Mods try to act but there is no preventing a small window of opportunity for them and sometimes that window might be long.
Please, ignore the obvious disruption, report (reporting means calling the mods attention, so faster response if response is granted), and don't feed the trolls. Feeding them makes them stronger, you know?
Rivals, not enemies.

mwillems

mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:40
https://i.ibb.co/FYsSv2W/Lando-Baku2.png

If there is no yellow, then I'm sorry, I'm not trying to cause trouble or upset anyway, but that is damning.
EDIT EDIT EDIT

There is a yellow as he passes Ocon.

Mistake at T16 wouldn't have seen him through, but Karun is wrong.

Yellow should not have been shown for Ocon down the straight and this is what is being challenged.

-Bandit

geogate
geogate

Karun Chandhok showed it after the race, there was a yellow trackside light which simultaneously displayed on the dash - it only lasted for a couple of seconds though

mwillems

geogate wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:49
Karun Chandhok showed it after the race, there was a yellow trackside light which simultaneously displayed on the dash - it only lasted for a couple of seconds though
There was another after on the straight. Karun showed the yellow on approach to T16.

The second yellow was only put on as Lando passed Ocon on the straight and it screwed him.

He was easily through until the stewards messed up.
Last edited by mwillems on 14 Sep 2024, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

BMMR61

Will Joseph's apology is ambiguous at best, no evidence of being a factor, my apologies. Looks like Lando will be promoted to row 8 with the likely DQ of Gasly for a fuel flow infringement.

deargodhelpme
deargodhelpme

mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:49
mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:40
https://i.ibb.co/FYsSv2W/Lando-Baku2.png

EDIT EDIT EDIT

There is a yellow as he passes Ocon.

Mistake at T16 wouldn't have seen him through, but Karun is wrong.

Yellow should not have been shown for Ocon down the straight and this is what is being challenged.
I made an account here just to post all this and by time I'm ready to post you've already shown it. Yes, Karun is wrong. It's the yellow as he's approaching Ocon that he lifts for right as it goes green. Max had an even bigger moment at T16 and he still improved his lap (IIRC). Lando was half a second up on Oscar's time (https://imgur.com/a/ECU7VY0)when he made the mistake and yes, would have lost time, but the REAL loss was lifting for the yellow flag. Without lifting for the flag, he would have still been able to get through to Q2.

mwillems

Seriously, check the lap again.

It's not on Mclaren or Lando. Yeah Lando does have a moment at T16, but he was through without the yellow that came after.

-Bandit