2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
geogate
geogate

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

oh well, they can question it as much as they like, the best they will get is a sorry, and its not like the FIA to even offer than much

mwillems

I'm really p*ssed at that, that is really poor stewarding. What danger was he???
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

Shouldn't there be a rule for one more lap for drivers that are screwed due to mistakes outside of their jurisdiction? I remember Sainz getting screwed by the FIA for damage his car got due to the track in Vegas.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Luscion wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:04
Karun's explanation of the yellow flag

https://dubz.co/c/571a8d
Karun missed the fact that there was a SECOND yellow flag showed for Ocon.

First one is shown before T15 and Lando slows down a bit but the second is shown after T16 around the time Ocon is visible for Norris. You can clearly see the yellow screen in the distance that makes Lando lift off again. Soon after it goes green again and Norris puts down the throttle but the damage is done.

This second yellow is hard to see on Norris onboard but it is clearly visible on Ocon onboard. Just as Norris is approaching it goes yellow and then green.

This is also why the screen is green when Norris goes around Ocon. It was a yellow second ago.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:49
mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:40
https://i.ibb.co/FYsSv2W/Lando-Baku2.png

Even after the mistake he had tons of time in hand.

Unless there is a yellow I can't see, The mistake was slowing for Ocon.

If there is no yellow, then I'm sorry, I'm not trying to cause trouble or upset anyway, but that is damning.
EDIT EDIT EDIT

There is a yellow as he passes Ocon.

Mistake at T16 wouldn't have seen him through, but Karun is wrong.

Yellow should not have been shown for Ocon down the straight and this is what is being challenged.
I told you all of this as it happened. There was a second yellow.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:46
mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:19
Tomsky wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:15

It's amazing how dumb you are to mistake Tomsk for Germany
I didn't, you put a spelt my name wrong and put a "v" in it :lol:
Tomsky wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 15:57
Mvillems, Emag, Geogate are not McLaren fans, they jerk off to Oscar.
Breaking my own advice here, but that one was too ironic to pass.
I don’t understand where they get these impressions tbh. I have literally bashed Oscar for being off the pace countless times. How one can frame me for being a blind supporter of a driver I think is overrated is beyond me.

Not that it matters in the context of the discussion, but for future reference, the only driver I can be a bit biased towards because he used to be my favorite driver for a long time, is Fernando Alonso.

None other.
But even if you do prefer one driver to another, that's fine, as long as you're still objective.

I just try to be honest about both, but others see what they want to see. And what I think is that those who are biased towards their own favourite drivers are the ones to get overly defensive, or in the case of these two, offensive.

But at the end of the day, it's not my problem.

-Bandit

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 17:09
mwillems wrote:
mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 16:40
https://i.ibb.co/FYsSv2W/Lando-Baku2.png

Even after the mistake he had tons of time in hand.

Unless there is a yellow I can't see, The mistake was slowing for Ocon.

If there is no yellow, then I'm sorry, I'm not trying to cause trouble or upset anyway, but that is damning.
EDIT EDIT EDIT

Yellow should not have been shown for Ocon down the straight and this is what is being challenged.
Didn't see your post, didn't seem to get picked up by anyone either, but you were right.

Drop an email to Karun :D

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 17:12
FittingMechanics wrote:
mwillems wrote:

EDIT EDIT EDIT

Didn't see your post, didn't seem to get picked up by anyone either, but you were right.

I went onto Norris onboard during qualy and saw him going around Ocon and a yellow then green board so I knew about that yellow so it was clear why he was compromised (had to lift during the massive straight)

Couldn't figure out why people were saying the yellow was before T16 as I didn't realize it happened twice.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 17:18
mwillems wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

I went onto Norris onboard during qualy and saw him going around Ocon and a yellow then green board so I knew about that yellow so it was clear why he was compromised (had to lift during the massive straight)

Couldn't figure out why people were saying the yellow was before T16 as I didn't realize it happened twice.
I just want back and had a look, yours was the one post talking about it "On the straight". Everyone else on here, and the media, were focussed on the first yellow. But both were on a straight. But if you see the first yellow you stop there so I get the confusion.

But yeah. It was a mistake and would have lost him over half a second on the lap, probably 6 tenths, so it is pretty major, but he was through by 2-3 tenths still

But you can't ignore the fact that he still did make a major mistake and whilst the yellow did end the lap, the frequency of mistakes from Lando is quite high (Don't shoot the messenger!)

So I'm not putting this on Lando personally, but the kid certainly doesn't help himself!
Last edited by mwillems on 14 Sep 2024, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 17:23
FittingMechanics wrote:
mwillems wrote:

I just want back and had a look, yours was the one post. Everyone else on here, and the media, were focussed on the first yellow.

But yeah. It was a mistake and would have lost him over half a second on the lap, probably 6 tenths, so it is pretty major, but he was through by 2-3 tenths still

But you can't ignore the fact that he still did make a major mistake and whilst the yellow did end the lap, the frequency of mistakes from Lando is quite high.

So I'm not putting this on Lando personally, but the kid certainly doesn't help himself!
Mistakes are there for sure, but he is also often times few tenths ahead of Piastri in qualifying. If there was no yellow no one would care about going wide there. With how tight things are you have to take on some risk. Even infallible Verstappen hit the wall slightly and almost lost the rear in another lap.

Maybe NOR needs to dial it back a bit in Q1 but you can't really blame it here. He was clearly and easily in Q2 without Ocon yellows.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 17:28
mwillems wrote:
FittingMechanics wrote:

I just want back and had a look, yours was the one post. Everyone else on here, and the media, were focussed on the first yellow.

But you can't ignore the fact that he still did make a major mistake and whilst the yellow did end the lap, the frequency of mistakes from Lando is quite high.

Mistakes are there for sure, but he is also often times few tenths ahead of Piastri in qualifying. If there was no yellow no one would care about going wide there.

Maybe he needs to dial it back a bit but you can't really blame it here. He was clearly and easily in Q2 without Ocon yellows.
No, he was definitely the victim of circumstance and your right, if he'd got through it wouldn't be such a big deal. That is why personally I don't put this one on Lando. Regarding qualifying difference, the actual average for the season is less than 1 tenth between them, so they are actually pretty close.

Let's see what happens tomorrow, hopefully they both get a lot of luck and good points.

-Bandit

mwillems

And to be fair, Oscar had a bloody good Saturday. Not sure he'll challenge for the win, he may have to just drop back out of the dirty air and hope strategy works out.

What can go wrong.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 17:31
FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 17:28
mwillems wrote:

Mistakes are there for sure, but he is also often times few tenths ahead of Piastri in qualifying. If there was no yellow no one would care about going wide there.

Maybe he needs to dial it back a bit but you can't really blame it here. He was clearly and easily in Q2 without Ocon yellows.
No, he was definitely the victim of circumstance and your right, if he'd got through it wouldn't be such a big deal. That is why personally I don't put this one on Lando. Regarding qualifying difference, the actual average for the season is less than 1 tenth between them, so they are actually pretty close.

Let's see what happens tomorrow, hopefully they both get a lot of luck and good points.
At least we'll get an interesting race. One car on the front row, other one at the back but both with pace to fight for the win. They are also look to be carrying more downforce which should help in the race.

And to top it off, Red Bull is off and Verstappen starts P6. Could be spicy.

I just hope that this is not the best McLaren year for a while. It would be tragic if the championships got away due to combinations of mistakes, bad luck and strategy.

mwillems

I think if we don't get the WCC I'll personally ask Zak Brown to put Darth Peikus in charge of the team.

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 18:07
I think if we don't get the WCC I'll personally ask Zak Brown to put Darth Peikus in charge of the team.
Jokes aside, if they don’t get the WCC they only have themselves to blame. Infrastructure and facilities in general have improved quite a bit (obviously), but from an operations perspective they’re still lacking dramatically. This season really put all the blunders in the spotlight.

It’s fair to allow the team a year of growth, but I would definitely expect changes going into 2026 if they continue like this next season.