2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
venkyhere
venkyhere

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Whether it's luck, nerves, team-mate, team orders (or lack thereof), Lando Norris is going to be the central pivot of drive to survive #7 - irrespective of whether he wins/doesn't win the 2024 WDC. :D

CjC
CjC

CjC wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 20:01
Points vs Ferrari is the fight now.
McLaren had a good weekend in Monza but still lost ground to Ferrari in the WCC.
McLaren MIGHT leave Baku leading the WCC but Ferrari COULD leave Singapore leading the WCC.
That would be disastrous for us fans aspirations🤦🏼‍♂️
Correction

Red Bull MIGHT extend their lead in the WCC over McLaren in Baku but Ferrari COULD leave Singapore leading the WCC🤦🏼‍♂️
Just a fan's point of view

CjC
CjC

This is all off memory but is this the first weekend Mclaren didn’t get 2 cars into Q3 this season?

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

CjC wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 20:15
CjC wrote:
McLaren had a good weekend in Monza but still lost ground to Ferrari in the WCC.
McLaren MIGHT leave Baku leading the WCC but Ferrari COULD leave Singapore leading the WCC.
Correction

Red Bull MIGHT extend their lead in the WCC over McLaren in Baku but Ferrari COULD leave Singapore leading the WCC🤦🏼‍♂️
Why so little faith? It was quite clear that Baku and Singapore might suit Ferrari. No big surprise there and aspirations are not affected. Ferrari also brought an update for Monza and McLaren will likely bring stuff in coming races as well.

One could even say that Piastri in P2 with a scrappy lap is better than most (not me) expected. Norris is usually faster and looks like a clean lap could have been pole.
CjC wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 20:40
This is all off memory but is this the first weekend Mclaren didn’t get 2 cars into Q3 this season?
Yes.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 20:11
mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 19:23
FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 19:16

First runs didn't look too good. Second runs on the same set looked good but Lando got caught out.

Only complaint could be that they let them only have one chance and let them get both drivers in the drop zone (just as VER).

Letting them out slightly earlier would have been less risky for yellow or red flags but would have them on a slower track.

But both drivers first and second laps were slower than Leclercs first.

Leclerc got through own his first lap alone, let alone his 1 second quicker second lap. I didn't see why, but into Q2 it was fine.
True. Maybe Leclerc is able to ramp up quicker or take on more risk.

I was worried the car had no pace but it looks like our drivers just had pace in reserve.
They constantly use new tyres in Q. Not sure why it was that they struggled in Q1, perhaps dirty air, I might try and watch later.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 20:54
FittingMechanics wrote:
mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 19:23

But both drivers first and second laps were slower than Leclercs first.

Leclerc got through own his first lap alone, let alone his 1 second quicker second lap. I didn't see why, but into Q2 it was fine.

I was worried the car had no pace but it looks like our drivers just had pace in reserve.
They constantly use new tyres in Q. Not sure why it was that they struggled in Q1, perhaps dirty air, I might try and watch later.
Maybe all those aborted qualy laps in free practice caught up with them. They were (Lando especially) unlucky with this.

bauc

This race and Singapoore like I said yesterday, are Ferrari's to loose. From USA we should be back in the groove for the last 6 races. Have faith people..... McLAREN!
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 20:57
mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 20:54
FittingMechanics wrote:

Maybe all those aborted qualy laps in free practice caught up with them. They were (Lando especially) unlucky with this.
I think it is probably driver related. I would tentatively suggest that both should have been a bit more competitive and Lando could have done more to get through in the first two laps.

I'll catch up when the kids are bed.

-Bandit

mwillems

bauc wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 21:03
This race and Singapoore like I said yesterday, are Ferrari's to loose. From USA we should be back in the groove for the last 6 races. Have faith people..... McLAREN!
We're good here too. Just didn't get the Q1 we wanted. The car is more than capable of the win. Given that Oscar didn't have a great lap I feel that we can take it to Ferrari tomorrow and the cars are close.

Tyres will be interesting tomorrow. Cars slide a lot here so the tyres will be affected, plus the almost certainty of a safety car. Hopefully Lando starts on hards to go long.

-Bandit

bauc

mwillems wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 21:09
bauc wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 21:03
We're good here too. Just didn't get the Q1 we wanted. The car is more than capable of the win. Given that Oscar didn't have a great lap I feel that we can take it to Ferrari tomorrow and the cars are close.

Tyres will be interesting tomorrow. Cars slide a lot here so the tyres will be affected, plus the almost certainty of a safety car. Hopefully Lando starts on hards to go long.
Lando has to start on HARD and capitalize on any start craziness, but he will need to find clear air ASAP and then manage a long first stint as if he gets stuck in traffic he will not be able to do anything from there. And then, he should be extremely fast in the last third of the race so we are in play tomorrow.

Also crucial will be Oscar start, if we can somehow get P1 by the first or 2nd corner, then we can dictate the pace and help Lando even more.

All to play for, we are down but not defeated.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

Lando can easily be P10 after a couple of laps. We've everything to play for.

-Bandit

mwillems

CjC wrote:
Yes.

Oscar is the only driver to complete every racing though, hopefully we can keep that going.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

FittingMechanics wrote:
CjC wrote:
14 Sep 2024, 20:15
CjC wrote:
Correction

Why so little faith? It was quite clear that Baku and Singapore might suit Ferrari. No big surprise there and aspirations are not affected. Ferrari also brought an update for Monza and McLaren will likely bring stuff in coming races as well.

One could even say that Piastri in P2 with a scrappy lap is better than most (not me) expected. Norris is usually faster and looks like a clean lap could have been pole.
CjC wrote:
Yes.
Sorry I’ve allowed my younger self to slip out. It doesn’t help that I’ve not watched a single minute of the the track action this weekend for the first time all season for one reason or another.
I’m quite confident is this current McLaren team.
I’ve been posting away with snippets that I’ve read where McLaren have a large upgrade in pipeline or at least a new floor which we might see in Singapore.
Tomorrow we shall see what they can do [-o<

mwillems

https://racingnews365.com/mclaren-in-ta ... ellow-flag

Mclaren discussing with the FIA bitter yellow flag

Stella confirmed it is seeking clarification the flag was seemingly deployed for a slow-moving car off the racing line - rather than for a competitor who had made an error.

-Bandit

geogate
geogate

be thankful you are not a strategist tonight trying to work out what Lando should do - its not like there is an obvious gamble. I think they might start on medium and stop early - more gambling on there not being a safety car