2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Luscion
Luscion

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Dunlay wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 14:56
Luscion wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 14:37
Russell getting another podium due to two cars ahead crashing in the final laps :lol:
You need to be there to take it, like Lewis was in Spa.
ofc, just something thats happened twice with two cars fighting crashing out and him getting a podium i find amusing. i mean nothing by it

atanatizante

sport777 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 15:00
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 14:57
Knew Lewis would have a absolute mare with that suspension change. Car was unsteering and overheating front and rear axel on Lewis's car. It was grim to watch, He had to drive in a unorthodox way so he had no inherent pace. A C shape is where you can't use a linear line into a corner phase. You can't race when you drive like that but that style kept the tyres from overheating consistently through corners. Russell's radio at the end " Tyres Tyres Tyres " was a insight on how this car was not setup properly to utilise the tyres. I dont know where the team go from here and they have all this data and configurations but nothing is working atm. I expect Singapore to be a shitshow for Lewis again as he has no confidence in qualy trim. Russell will drive the wheels off it but overall the car in low speed hasn't been that great.
The Mercedes car with the optimal tire position is one of the fastest, in the second part of the race Russell was one of the fastest on hard, unfortunately they have not yet understood the reason why the tires sometimes do not work correctly, but as I said, the Mercedes car is quite good
When they are on lower fuel levels the car suddenly gets alive ...

It`s speculated that lowering the car`s CoG throughout the race is the main reason and the car`s DF load is just enough to get the tyres into their optimal window ... and that gets along with the fuel levels they had when on Friday's race sim when HAM was just flying on the H tyre ...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

sport777
sport777

atanatizante wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 15:32
sport777 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 15:00
SKYnRacing24 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 14:57
Knew Lewis would have a absolute mare with that suspension change. Car was unsteering and overheating front and rear axel on Lewis's car. It was grim to watch, He had to drive in a unorthodox way so he had no inherent pace. A C shape is where you can't use a linear line into a corner phase. You can't race when you drive like that but that style kept the tyres from overheating consistently through corners. Russell's radio at the end " Tyres Tyres Tyres " was a insight on how this car was not setup properly to utilise the tyres. I dont know where the team go from here and they have all this data and configurations but nothing is working atm. I expect Singapore to be a shitshow for Lewis again as he has no confidence in qualy trim. Russell will drive the wheels off it but overall the car in low speed hasn't been that great.
The Mercedes car with the optimal tire position is one of the fastest, in the second part of the race Russell was one of the fastest on hard, unfortunately they have not yet understood the reason why the tires sometimes do not work correctly, but as I said, the Mercedes car is quite good
When they are on lower fuel levels the car suddenly gets alive ...

It`s speculated that lowering the car`s CoG throughout the race is the main reason and the car`s DF load is just enough to get the tyres into their optimal window ... and that gets along with the fuel levels they had when on Friday's race sim when HAM was just flying on the H tyre ...
Well, then this is a problem for them, since it’s clear that the car is definitely fast, I’ve already seen for several races how Merc lags behind in the first stages, but then comes to life and becomes the fastest, Russell on the hard race beat Piastri a decent amount of time, in my opinion 5- 7 seconds exactly

SKYnRacing24

Someone brought up a great point from Autosport forum(I think he has a account here aswell) He answered a fellow members question and think pretty much confirms why they made the changes on Hamilton's car and agree with this perspective.

"Weird decision from P7. I'm certain they'll be another race before the end of the season where he qualifies outside the top 10, so Mercedes would've been better to bide their time."

" It doesn't matter. What is Merc fighting for? They will be 4th in the WCC because they are too far away. None of their drivers are fighting for the WDC. Hamilton wasn't going to win from 7th either. The rest of this season is pointless other than understanding the car for next year. Merc is pretty much just grid filler at this point. "

They are testing for 2025 imo. Lewis was running a experimental setup and i expect it to happen a few times till the end of this year for correlation and direction. I haven't even mentioned how the possible mid relegation change on the brakes, might have had an impact on car characteristics but thats pure speculation on my part lol
“And that’s part of the game, is being able to be adaptive, and we’ve got this new car – I don’t know how it’s going to handle, hopefully she’s great.”

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Dunlay wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 14:55
Early in the season, Ferrari was better than Merc and Lewis probably felt vincidated of his decision to leave Merc and then came a period where Ferrari was behind and Merc was ahead, making Lewis rue the decision and now again Ferrari is ahead. I would like to see this see-saw continue. :lol:
Merc was faster only a few races were the track didn't fit Ferrari/Ferrari missed the upgrade but overall its quite clear Ferrari is the better car and will probably be till the end of the season

Venturiation
Venturiation

Why are they doing experiments on lewis?

DGP123
DGP123

Here we go. The word experiments on Lewis’ side and it’s going to kick off. See you in two days once the numerous bans have been put in place and pages and pages are deleted.

Merc just simply haven’t got a clue about this reg. simple as. Hamilton has made the right decision. Everything else is just noise.

Luscion
Luscion

Venturiation wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 15:50
Perhaps to give him a car he's more compatible with? its something Shovlin said they were working on but then the season is almost over and he's moving to Ferrari next year.

This makes Lewis' reaction after Toto and Bono came over the radio when the race finished make more sense

Luscion
Luscion

DGP123 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 15:52
Here we go. The word experiments on Lewis’ side and it’s going to kick off. See you in two days once the numerous bans have been put in place and pages and pages are deleted.
Eh, its pretty clear is most likely a one off thing imo, months and months ago the team said they were done with experiments including Lewis himself and they were only doing tiny changes

Luscion
Luscion

Russell saying the Pirelli tire inconsistency is infuriating, said that the people who make it dont even understand them

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

This was Lewis's worst race of the year imo. you rarely see him with so little pace during the grand prix. Whatever they did to his car, well it didn't work. Merc is in a big slump right now, scored a lucky podium but things don't look promising at all. Whatever happened to all the big talk of "bringing upgrades at a pace the others cannot keep up with"? Talk is cheap.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Venturiation wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 15:50
This is the problem with Lewis. He had a poor qualifying and didn't like the setup. What was he expecting? They would have decided to redo the setup to help him in the race. Not doing anything would have probably given him a few places better in the end result, best case scenario. Would he have been happy?

A committed driver would work closely with the team to get things working and be part of the responsibility if they didn't. Simply disagreeing with the team in the aftermath is not a good relfection of a senior driver in the team. This is the same team that gave him tools to win 6 championships and 2 potential winning opportunities. Kicking the team when it's down and lost because he is not winning is definitely not in a good taste.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Luscion wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 16:13
Russell saying the Pirelli tire inconsistency is infuriating, said that the people who make it dont even understand them

In the last decade+, teams have spent multiple billions to understand these Pirellis and build sophiscated suspensions and cars around them, but have failed to really master. Previous to Pirellis, they had other suppliers whose tyres used to work with 13 to 15 PSIs and we hardly used to hear teams and drivers complaining about them. These ridiculous Pirellis don't work even at 25 PSIs. Pirelli must have been only example in the history of any sport that is failing so ridiculously as a supplier.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

DGP123 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 15:52

Merc just simply haven’t got a clue about this reg. simple as. Hamilton has made the right decision. Everything else is just noise.
That's pretty much my conclusion
At least we see on the McLaren that the engine is pretty good too

PlatinumZealot

Yup feeling like 2012 except the car is slow.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028