2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Re: 2024 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

Still impressed by the fact this car managed to win 3 races

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Spoutnik wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 16:44
There was a point in time where Merc was equal in the development race. They lost out in the latest round of upgrades and it has set them back. Your upgrades have to work or you get left behind. If Mclaren and Ferrari removed their updates from after the summer break, then it would be like before.

Hammerfist
Hammerfist

Dunlay wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 16:25
Venturiation wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 15:50
Why are they doing experiments on lewis?
This is the problem with Lewis. He had a poor qualifying and didn't like the setup. What was he expecting? They would have decided to redo the setup to help him in the race. Not doing anything would have probably given him a few places better in the end result, best case scenario. Would he have been happy?

A committed driver would work closely with the team to get things working and be part of the responsibility if they didn't. Simply disagreeing with the team in the aftermath is not a good relfection of a senior driver in the team. This is the same team that gave him tools to win 6 championships and 2 potential winning opportunities. Kicking the team when it's down and lost because he is not winning is definitely not in a good taste.

lol a “committed driver”? I’m not sure that can fly honestly. Lewis should have zero input from now on until the end of the season. He will no longer be a Mercedes driver as of 2025. I think it’s quite ridiculous that they are still portraying him as having any real influence on the car setup to be honest. I would expect them to start tuning him out from the development of the car and turn their focus on protecting their intellectual property. Consequently his performances have actually regressed since the summer break. Which tells me they are tuning him out. Lewis is basically an outsider at Merc right now. Hard to be committed when you’re an outsider.

j_ste
j_ste

Venturiation wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 15:50
Why are they doing experiments on lewis?
Because their focus is 2025 and it’s better to have the leaving driver experiment
Last edited by j_ste on 15 Sep 2024, 17:10, edited 1 time in total.

mkay
mkay

Why did they change Lewis' setup between FP2 and FP3 when he was very happy with the balance on Friday?

sport777
sport777

in my understanding it is no longer a matter of the chassis, it is a matter of tires, Merc cannot make it work in some periods of the grand prix, I consider Merc's car to be one of the fastest, I think pirelli is the main problem of Merc, since when the car gets into working order window, she is one of the fastest, if not the fastest

Luscion
Luscion

sport777 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:11
in my understanding it is no longer a matter of the chassis, it is a matter of tires, Merc cannot make it work in some periods of the grand prix, I consider Merc's car to be one of the fastest, I think pirelli is the main problem of Merc, since when the car gets into working order window, she is one of the fastest, if not the fastest

part of it definitely seems to be Pirelli, Lewis has been complaining about how its the most sensitive tires he's ever experienced in his time in f1 since earlier in the year, now Russell is complaining about it saying its infuriating and that Pirelli dont know what theyre doing.
Last edited by Luscion on 15 Sep 2024, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Luscion wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:15
part of it definitely seems to be Pirelli, Lewis has been complaining about how its the most sensitive tires he's ever experienced since earlier in the year, now Russell is complaining about it saying its infuriating and Pirelli dont know what theyre doing.
Then how come Mclaren can ride on any tire on any condition? Teams have to stop making excuses.

sport777
sport777

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:16
Luscion wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:15
part of it definitely seems to be Pirelli, Lewis has been complaining about how its the most sensitive tires he's ever experienced since earlier in the year, now Russell is complaining about it saying its infuriating and Pirelli dont know what theyre doing.
Then how come Mclaren can ride on any tire on any condition? Teams have to stop making excuses.
not exactly, I remember several times Norris put a lot of stress on the tires and drove fast right away and his tires ran out quite quickly, a clear example of the British Grand Prix, but there were other cases

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 16:53
Spoutnik wrote:
There was a point in time where Merc was equal in the development race. They lost out in the latest round of upgrades and it has set them back. Your upgrades have to work or you get left behind. If Mclaren and Ferrari removed their updates from after the summer break, then it would be like before.
Yes thats my point, at their peak they were equal (I believe the McL was still faster at Silverstone or even Spa tbh) but for most of the season they've been 4th and thats not a few races which change this fact

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Spoutnik wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:47
AR3-GP wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:
Yes thats my point, at their peak they were equal (I believe the McL was still faster at Silverstone or even Spa tbh) but for most of the season they've been 4th and thats not a few races which change this fact

Oh right I see your point. Yes the jump from Saudi to Canada was insane.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:51
Spoutnik wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

I believe they can still win one or two races in cold condition (?) with the track suiting the car during the rest of the season but that's it, 4th team

sport777
sport777

Spoutnik wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:52
AR3-GP wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:

I believe they can still win one or two races in cold condition (?) with the track suiting the car during the rest of the season but that's it, 4th team
I don’t consider Merc 4 a team, their car is fast, they still have some problems with understanding, but I think their car can be the fastest, and if you take into account their time in the pipe, it has increased, they can improve a lot, both in Monza and Baku in the second half of the race they were the fastest

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

sport777 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:57
Spoutnik wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

I don’t consider Merc 4 a team, their car is fast, they still have some problems with understanding, but I think their car can be the fastest, and if you take into account their time in the pipe, it has increased, they can improve a lot, both in Monza and Baku in the second half of the race they were the fastest
They were the fastest at Monza on the 2nd part ? Not sure
But ofc the car is fast on low fuel and Hamilton has a good race pace usually
Nevertheless they're starting too far back, and you cannot rely only on the last stint
The top speed issue isn't really solved too

sport777
sport777

Spoutnik wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 18:05
sport777 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:57
Spoutnik wrote:

They were the fastest at Monza on the 2nd part ? Not sure
But ofc the car is fast on low fuel and Hamilton has a good race pace usually
Nevertheless they're starting too far back, and you cannot rely only on the last stint
The top speed issue isn't really solved too
I think they have no problems on the straights, the only problem is overheating of the tires in qualifying and with a full tank, you can see the stint of the last segment in Monza of Hamilton and Russell, they were one of the fastest, Russell almost caught up with Verstappen at the end of the race, and between they had a decent blowjob