Flexiwings 2024

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
organic

Re: Flexiwings 2024

AR3-GP wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:22
This is wild (the second tweet on the bottom):

Wow this second tweet..... The sped up clip of the wing flexing is outrageous

bluechris

Any team protested this or they all sleeping?

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

dialtone wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:42
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:39
dialtone wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:38

What picture are you looking at? Just so we can all comment the same thing.
Literally scroll up 3 posts. The diagram Luscion posted
Ok, would you mind explaining your reasoning then? I see less DRS delta by 4kph. You take this and think they have a worse wing. Do you perhaps think they should open DRS more to make up for the fact that it's already a bit open to begin with?
Wasn’t me with any reasoning! But some seem to suggest that the twist increases the DRS gap in the corners and therefore it’s an unfair advantage. But clearly it isn’t as straightforward as that.
IMHO the leading edge of the low flap section probably also “twists up” at high speed when the total assembly canters backwards. Clearly the flow field isn’t as straightforward as the “DRS gain” doesn’t seem to be any bigger and in fact possibly smaller than other teams.
Whether the total deflection of the whole assembly is legal or not? I carry no opinion. It passes current testing regs and all teams are always at extracting the maximum out of regulation sets. I see a very intricate clever design that clearly meets all design requirements.
Perhaps the only thing would be the DRS Gap increasing ever so slightly but please refer to the first part of this reply for why I’m doubtful

organic

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:51
dialtone wrote:
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:39

Literally scroll up 3 posts. The diagram Luscion posted
Ok, would you mind explaining your reasoning then? I see less DRS delta by 4kph. You take this and think they have a worse wing. Do you perhaps think they should open DRS more to make up for the fact that it's already a bit open to begin with?
Wasn’t me with any reasoning! But some seem to suggest that the twist increases the DRS gap in the corners and therefore it’s an unfair advantage. But clearly it isn’t as straightforward as that.
IMHO the leading edge of the low flap section probably also “twists up” at high speed when the total assembly canters backwards. Clearly the flow field isn’t as straightforward as the “DRS gain” doesn’t seem to be any bigger and in fact possibly smaller than other teams.
Whether the total deflection of the whole assembly is legal or not? I carry no opinion. It passes current testing regs and all teams are always at extracting the maximum out of regulation sets. I see a very intricate clever design that clearly meets all design requirements.
Perhaps the only thing would be the DRS Gap increasing ever so slightly but please refer to the first part of this reply for why I’m doubtful
There is some fault to this logic. If you improve the coefficient of drag of your 'closed' DRS position without affecting the DRS 'open' drag, then the DRS delta will be smaller. So if we're looking at this data, if anything it suggests that something could be going on which gains them 3-4 km/h with DRS closed

No doubt this behaviour improves the efficiency of the wing with DRS closed, otherwise it would not be happening. The DRS flap no longer lines up with the wingtip corners. Doesn't that simply indicate the DRS flap is rotating/flexing?

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

bluechris wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:50
The guys at formu1a uno have said that Red Bull and Ferrari noticed it and are studying it. Likely will understand it and then make a complaint - if the FIA does nothing about it like they did w flexi front wing then they will implement their own

chrisc90

SoulPancake13 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:58
bluechris wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:50
The guys at formu1a uno have said that Red Bull and Ferrari noticed it and are studying it. Likely will understand it and then make a complaint - if the FIA does nothing about it like they did w flexi front wing then they will implement their own
Least the teams have noted it. Hopefully they can protest it.

DOes anyone have any footage of 'slower' races?

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

organic wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:54
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:51
dialtone wrote:

There is some fault to this logic. If you improve the coefficient of drag of your 'closed' DRS position without affecting the DRS 'open' drag, then the DRS delta will be smaller. So if we're looking at this data, if anything it suggests that something could be going on which gains them 3-4 km/h with DRS closed

No doubt this behaviour improves the efficiency of the wing with DRS closed, otherwise it would not be happening
But the drag coefficient reduction for want of a better term, clearly then comes from the backing off from the assembly at high speed. All wings do as you can’t have a rigid state.

Flexi wings have been part and parcel of F1 for years. Holy grail of currently technology (look at the B787 wings in aerospace tech) and a major performance differentiation in this Formula.

The regs have been drafted and re drafted and I have no doubt it’ll be re drafted again. You then come to: define how much is too much as they ALL do it. Seems to me most are utterly clutching at straws to get a team down a peg or two. It’s normal behaviour and I’m not surprised

browney
browney

Why don't they use the dots and write a rule about movement as seen by a camera in a given position?

Wings that pass the static rest but flex in action have been part of F1 for decades.

FNTC
FNTC

FIA are so inconsistent. Aston got banned last year, but as long as Merc and MCL fights Red Bull they ignore this.

saviour stivala
saviour stivala

The ends of the Mclaren RW clearly bend at speed increasing the gap to the main plan which in turn reduces drag resulting in higher top speeds, but as is it passes the static compliance test/s, so it is cleared to race.

FNTC
FNTC

Sevach
Sevach

chrisc90 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:59

Zandvoort would be an interesting one, since they brought new wings there.

chrisc90

Sevach wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 23:09
chrisc90 wrote:

Might go back and have a look. Straight and Zandvoort is long
Of course - got to hope we been blessed with some rear wing footage which is rare

scuderiabrandon

Sevach wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 23:09
chrisc90 wrote:

The angle of attack on those wings are too high to have a reasonable view of the movement.

CrazyCarperF1
CrazyCarperF1

Im not a technical person, the mini drs, It looks like when the rear wing is under full compression/load it sags, the drs activation arm not being attached to the rear wing structure doesnt move so it holds the drs wing in place at the front which makes it look as if the drs is activating when in reality the rest of the rear wing is flexing beneath it. Is this the gist of it.