2024 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, Sep 13-15

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
JordanMugen

Re: 2024 Azerbaijan Grand Prix - Baku, Sep 13-15

Seanspeed wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 22:27
emp wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 18:24
ispano6 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 18:11
That on McLaren is passive DRS.
And that is how F1 should be. Innovating, exploiting gray areas, technical development.
Mclaren can be applauded for exploiting a grey area in the rules(though of course it's 'cheating' when Ferrari or Red Bull do similar). But the FIA is a joke for continuing to allow it and not even attempting to crack down on it after it was brought to their attention with clear evidence, and doing so almost assuredly because of how 'exciting' it is to have a non-RB/Verstappen championship. People are rightfully annoyed to see this season potentially getting decided by the FIA and not proper, fair competition.
It's not a big deal. Either everyone will make one for 2025 or it will be banned for 2025.

napoleon1981
napoleon1981

Macklaren wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 23:33
TeamKoolGreen wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 23:20
The title fight is over barring any Max DNFs. Norris has gained less than 5 points since Miami or something like that ? He's running out of races.
Lando will still win WDC if he wins every remaining race with fastest lap if Max finishes P2. Based on recent form, Max P2 in every race seems less likely than Lando winning every race
Nothing has indicated Lando will win every race either. So far each weekend a fumble has been more like than a win.

bigpat
bigpat

stephen wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 20:57
I don't understand why Bearman is so good in F1 but crap in F2.
Partly because Prema hasn't been able to get their head around the new spec F2 cars...

ScuderiaLeo

Macklaren wrote:
Lando will still win WDC if he wins every remaining race with fastest lap if Max finishes P2. Based on recent form, Max P2 in every race seems less likely than Lando winning every race
What of the past few races has indicated Norris will win every race...? Just because Verstappen isn't winning them doesn't mean Norris will. Other teams exist too :lol:

I'm sure Norris will win another this season but to say he'll win every one with FL is pretty crazy.

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 01:47
Macklaren wrote:
What of the past few races has indicated Norris will win every race...? Just because Verstappen isn't winning them doesn't mean Norris will. Other teams exist too :lol:

I'm sure Norris will win another this season but to say he'll win every one with FL is pretty crazy.
I think they were being sarcastic…

ScuderiaLeo

Hoffman900 wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 03:27
I think they were being sarcastic…
Woops... since they're a McLaren fan I assumed they were being serious. My bad #-o Brain is fuzzy after a long day lol!

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

Hoffman900 wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 14:41
Tvetovnato wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 14:39
And he hasn’t driven two full seasons in F1. What a master Piastri is already. Ridiculous.
To be fair, these kids today have more racing experience at their age than a veteran F1 driver did 20 years ago, when you look at their whole career.

It’s not shocking, imo.

But Piastri, very poised. So many drivers are overhyped, but Oscar looks to be the real deal they said he was.
Yes and no. There were feeder series back then also, and unlimited F1 testing, so the time in an actual F1 car on a track is very limited these days. The art of tyre management is particularly hard now also. Oscar still has some way to go there which this race also proved.

But I love his style. Very quick, very determined in racing situations but also very clean. Knows what he needs to do to defend, but leaves room. Great feel for attacking in the right way also. Great stuff to watch.

Tommy.G
Tommy.G

cliffgamerz wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 18:41
Tommy.G wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 15:09
If Verstappen gets anything less than a DSQ for this then the FIA is clearly rigged…

The rules are pretty clear on such infringements!
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1055613/1 ... -under-vsc

Maybe its rigged after all, the last sentence by FIA makes it very clear as they just slapped the wrist this time and only warned but said any repeat offense by those who currently caused this time and ANY OTHER DRIVERS IN FUTURE will be punished.

The Stewards are aware that this has happened earlier this season and was not noticed at the time. We are therefore warning the driver concerned, ALONG WITH ALL OTHER COMPETITORS. Further breaches may incur significant penalties.
:lol:
It’s amazing that they keep saying this whenever Max breaches a rule! It’s unbelievable…

I cannot understand the FIA’s way of thinking! Someone breaches a rule? Just punish him the way you should! They have been doing this thing with Verstappen for years now…

avantman
avantman

dialtone wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 23:06
if racing line is in the outer right side of the track, what was Albon in front doing in the middle of it. Question? :)

Andres125sx

venkyhere wrote:https://x.com/redbulletin/status/183529 ... Yy3PA&s=08

the onboard above shows no steering input from Perez to cause the crash.
It's Sainz who comes drifting in.
It's upto the FIA to apparition the blame to whoever they like, or leave it as a racing incident.

But in my mind, it's 100% Sainz's fault. A no brainer judgement, for me.
Problem is Sainz made no steering input either, it was two straight lines with colliding trajectory.

In that case, it´s the car at the back who can avoid the contact, specially when he had more than half the track available to move to the left. If the car in front moved to the left and left no space to the wall, then things would be different, but with so much space to the left, it was Perez responsibility

The car in front only need to leave space to the car in front, and Sainz left space for 2-3 cars at least so Sainz didn´t break any rule. No rule states the car in front must concede the racing line to the chasing car, he must only concede some space, and Sainz did.

There are thousands examples were the leading car move to the side until the chasing car is forced to go really close to the wall, way out of the racing line. That is ok by any standards, and Sainz didn´t even forced Perez to the wall! Actually he had the right to force Perez a lot more to the left than he did

It was Perez fault 100%

Farnborough
Farnborough

Tommy.G wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 08:31
cliffgamerz wrote:
Tommy.G wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 15:09
If Verstappen gets anything less than a DSQ for this then the FIA is clearly rigged…

The rules are pretty clear on such infringements!

Maybe its rigged after all, the last sentence by FIA makes it very clear as they just slapped the wrist this time and only warned but said any repeat offense by those who currently caused this time and ANY OTHER DRIVERS IN FUTURE will be punished.

The Stewards are aware that this has happened earlier this season and was not noticed at the time. We are therefore warning the driver concerned, ALONG WITH ALL OTHER COMPETITORS. Further breaches may incur significant penalties.
It’s amazing that they keep saying this whenever Max breaches a rule! It’s unbelievable…

I cannot understand the FIA’s way of thinking! Someone breaches a rule? Just punish him the way you should! They have been doing this thing with Verstappen for years now…
This is unusual, the observance of overtaking after the finish flag, in any racing I can recall.

Maybe I've missed something over so many years of watching motorsport .... but never heard of penalties given for this reason.

In this case, and whoever was involved, think it was right to "clarify" the intent of rules for future observation to all concerned. No conspiracy here, its odd and particularly so, if the stewards, FIA etc have not previously enacted/actioned their own rules, if they are written specifically to exclude this action.

Always, a post flag lap has been with caution, naturally. But even with circuits being fined for track "invasion" etc, it doesn't look to have been applied, observed and prosecuted to those rules evenly, and consistently, in any observed fashion previously.

The FIA really could do nothing else here without looking particularly stupid.

bluechris

Farnborough wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 08:45
Tommy.G wrote:
16 Sep 2024, 08:31
cliffgamerz wrote:

This is unusual, the observance of overtaking after the finish flag, in any racing I can recall.

Maybe I've missed something over so many years of watching motorsport .... but never heard of penalties given for this reason.

In this case, and whoever was involved, think it was right to "clarify" the intent of rules for future observation to all concerned. No conspiracy here, its odd and particularly so, if the stewards, FIA etc have not previously enacted/actioned their own rules, if they are written specifically to exclude this action.

Always, a post flag lap has been with caution, naturally. But even with circuits being fined for track "invasion" etc, it doesn't look to have been applied, observed and prosecuted to those rules evenly, and consistently, in any observed fashion previously.

The FIA really could do nothing else here without looking particularly stupid.
But you still have VSC and 2 cars where on the wall with people in the track allready because of VSC. I understand that this scenario never huppened again but that doesnt change that it was wrong... rules on track are rules till all the cars are in pits.

bananapeel23

Does anyone have an explanation for how Leclerc lost his 6 second lead? Did he make a mistake on his in-lap or struggle in the pits? He came out like a second ahead of Piastri despite having a 6 second gap just one lap earlier. Surely Piastri didn't make up 6 seconds on his out lap?

Farnborough
Farnborough

If nobody "presecutes" the rules (forces them to be observed) then they effectively don't exist in reality.

In this case is was correct to notify ALL and draw attention to this section of requirements.

Then if a driver was in conflict with them from this point, the penalty could reasonably be expected.

It is obscure, there's no real conspiracy in behaviour, they were correct to act in this way, the FIA etc, now nobody will be able to speculate or cry over being sanctioned.

Tvetovnato
Tvetovnato

venkyhere wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 18:54
dialtone wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:30
Sainz is following racing line.
No he isn't.

dialtone wrote:
15 Sep 2024, 17:30
It was ruled racing incident but your take would absolutely not survive if Max was instead of Sainz.
It would be the fault of the car that is drifting left, when the straight line road is going into a lefthander turn (turn 3). Regardless of who the drifter is - Sainz, Max or lord Ayrton Senna himself.
Grow up.
Nobody has to follow the racing line in a racing situation. It’s more often than not that a driver swerves across to cover another car or force them to take a narrower line for the coming corner. The problem is when you start doing what Schumacher did to Rubens in Hungary, forcing someone who has the right for room to back out or else there is a crash.

Sainz did nothing of the sort. Perez had ample room to go more towards the inside line, but didn’t and they crashed. I can see how they ruled it a racing incident though as neither driver did anything overtly wrong, it was just that their trajectories met. But personally I would put it more on Perez as he should be able to judge that he needs to go a bit more left when he can see Sainz’ car.