2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Darth-Piekus

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

By the FIA.

SilviuAgo

Among this RW flexi saga...excellent Friday for McLaren and Lando. Hope Oscar can fight back on Saturday.

dialtone
dialtone

Darth-Piekus wrote:By the FIA.
So you think this is what’s happening now:

MCL out of the goodness of their heart, and immense generosity, with the limited money in the budget cap, decided to ignore the FIA declared legality of their wing and will implement changes to it to prevent it from bending.

And you believe it?

Darth-Piekus

What I mean is that during the FP2, not sure if it was Crofty or Brundle mentioned that the RW was legal as it passed all tests and there was nothing wrong. However Mclaren accepted to make compromises as long as other teams who have similar flex effects do the same.l At the end of the day it was a clever innovation just like the DAS.

You are free to contact Skysports or the FIA and give them your opinion. That was their statement.

dialtone
dialtone

I think we can close the discussion as there’s not much to discuss after the resolution anyway.

Ferrari engine also passed all tests and was thus never illegal, we all agree then.

geogate
geogate

we probably got plenty of headroom with the budget cap as we haven't been stacking our cars - but its everso nice of you to be concerned. Thanks you!

Darth-Piekus

dialtone wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 16:40
I think we can close the discussion as there’s not much to discuss after the resolution anyway.

Ferrari engine also passed all tests and was thus never illegal, we all agree then.
Ah yes the Engine gate. I believe we will close the discussion since you cant differentiate between innovation and illegality.
Last edited by Darth-Piekus on 20 Sep 2024, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

dialtone wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 16:40

I think everyone should hold fire. Let's see what is changed at Vegas. I'm sure the wing will lean back a lot still.

Regarding legality. The FIA deemed the wing legal at Baku. FIA have obviously suggested they will make it illegal at a future date.

With the lack of anything to the contrary, the wing was legal at Baku and that will not change.

The engine has nothing to do with this though.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

The telemetry is interesting. Looks like Lando might have left time at the penultimate corner.

The Ferrari on the other hand doesn't ever seem to fully release the throttle, it is being feathered through every corner.

Cars look very close at this point, it is fine margins.

-Bandit

dialtone
dialtone

mwillems wrote:The telemetry is interesting. Looks like Lando might have left time at the penultimate corner.

The Ferrari on the other hand doesn't ever seem to fully release the throttle, it is being feathered through every corner.

How I would read it is that Lando takes 16-17 where the car had much stronger entry, rests on the inside kerb, and accelerates from higher min speed out of it.

While LEC has to handle it more gently.

It will be close for sure.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

geogate wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 15:51
I wouldn't worry too much about Oscar, this seems a fairly typical pattern. I think he probably runs a bit heavier than Lando in fp1/2
It's likely just lack of experience. He slowly ramps up.

mwillems

dialtone wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 17:06
mwillems wrote:The telemetry is interesting. Looks like Lando might have left time at the penultimate corner.

How I would read it is that Lando takes 16-17 where the car had much stronger entry, rests on the inside kerb, and accelerates from higher min speed out of it.

It is the gearing, gear changes and RPM that are different to how he has approached the corner on the fast lap that has me a bit curious, and then it the leaves Charles gaining time along all of the short straight, suggesting a poor exit

I didn't see the lap, but it looks like we struggled there for some reason, wether it be driver or setup.

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

dialtone wrote:
20 Sep 2024, 17:06

It seems like Lando lifted way too much though, quite a bit more than the lap on hards he did earlier too. It's a compromise because he is taking a lot of kerb in the entry, but I think he has some margin to push it more for quali.

CjC
CjC

Sorry to bring the mini drs back up but this is a very balanced article

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mcla ... -own-game/
Just a fan's point of view

Macklaren
Macklaren

all drivers were really pushing today is FP! plenty of mistakes. feels like we are *just* head of Ferrari maybe given timing and quality of our runs