2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

mwillems wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 12:55
Leclerc did an odd double warm up to see if it helps the tyres, so he is likely faster than what he posted. But still clearly with a bit of a gap.
Probably but Sainz was 1.1s off the pace with normal warmup. Leclerc 0.9s with extra scrub lap.

It's just free practices but some headaches for Red Bulls and Ferrari. They have to think that Norris is on it.

mwillems

Yes it's hard to see that Norris isn't dominating on softs if not mediums. That's fine, it's a hard place to overtake, track position is extremely important. Hopefully the Ferraris and Max can start behind the Mercedes. And fingers crossed Oscar can sort his sh*t out. Not a good showing so far and very little time to get around it now, but we need him up there.
Last edited by mwillems on 21 Sep 2024, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 13:02
Yes it's hard to see that Norris isn't dominating on softs if not mediums. That's fine, it's a hard place to overtake, track position is extremely important. Hopefully the Ferraris and Max can start behind the Mercedes. And fingers crossed Oscar can sort his sh*t out. Not a good showing so far and very little time to get around it now, but we need him up there.
Max had a lot of luck this year. It has to run out somewhere. Why not walls of Singapore.

Emag
Emag

mwillems wrote:
I just saw the telemetry for Lando's lap on the mediums. Just judging from lowest apex speeds, acceleration and top speeds, the car is heavy and/or lower engine mode compared to Verstappen's and Leclerc's laps on the mediums.

He probably could go a lot quicker on mediums too, if they really wanted to, but I guess it's a bit of a useless run so they did not bother. You usually put the driver on the mediums on high fuel just so he could get a feel for the track/car on multiple laps. Then the lap on the softs is the one that matters to judge the pace.
Last edited by Emag on 21 Sep 2024, 13:07, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

Charles losing most time at T1 and T3, T10, T13, T14. Struggling in the slowest corners. Don't think this is tyres to be honest.

-Bandit

mwillems

Emag wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 13:07
mwillems wrote:
I just saw the telemetry for Lando's lap on the mediums. Just judging from lowest apex speeds, acceleration and top speeds, the car is heavy and/or lower engine mode compared to Verstappen's and Leclerc's laps on the mediums.

He probably could go a lot quicker on mediums too, if they really wanted to, but I guess it's a bit of a useless run so they did not bother. You usually put the driver on the mediums on high fuel just so he could get a feel for the track/car on multiple laps. Then the lap on the softs is the one that matters to judge the pace.
Yeah I wasn't quite prepared to say we were running heavier on meds, but it is on my mind too. I think Leclerc is f*cked, that I feel confident enough to say at this point. I haven't compared to anyone else, but I hope you're right about running heavy. Against Charles though, we are hitting better apex speeds and top speeds are similar.
Last edited by mwillems on 21 Sep 2024, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.

-Bandit

Emag
Emag

mwillems wrote:
Charles losing most time at T1 and T3, T10, T13, T14. Struggling in the slowest corners. Don't think this is tyres to be honest.
Don't underestimate the effect bad tire condition can have on laptime. Especially if they were overheating them, you lose so much time almost everywhere. Car refuses to turn, traction is bad, you lose the rear on entry. A good car can look horrible if the tires are not in the right window.

I think they will definitely be closer come qualifying. I don't want to discount Leclerc from the fight for pole yet.

mwillems

Emag wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 13:09
mwillems wrote:
Don't underestimate the effect bad tire condition can have on laptime. Especially if they were overheating them, you lose so much time almost everywhere. Car refuses to turn, traction is bad, you lose the rear on entry. A good car can look horrible if the tires are not in the right window.

I think they will definitely be closer come qualifying. I don't want to discount Leclerc from the fight for pole yet.
It's more that it is specific to that type of slow corner and throughout the lap the tyre never comes back, so I think it's something else. Could be tyre pressures I suppose.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Ferrari/Leclerc referred to the stewards for changing pressures. Probably just a team penalty.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 13:14
Ferrari/Leclerc referred to the stewards for changing pressures. Probably just a team penalty.
Just saw in the Ferrari thread. When was the tyre pressure adjustment? Pre fast lap?

-Bandit

SilviuAgo

Seeing also the onboards from Lando, Charles, Russell and Max, the McLaren seems to have better grip, better traction, more stable through corners and to be more, let's say, "driver friendly". The others have some corners where need to fight with the car, to take slower entry speed or to make notable corrections to steering.
I hope Lando (and even Oscar) can pass Q1 and 2 with a single set of softs and to be able to have best strategy in Q3. Hazard is still available due to a crash or lizzards, so our drivers should avoid what happened in Baku with that yellow flag affecting Lando's Q1 lap.
Last edited by SilviuAgo on 21 Sep 2024, 13:21, edited 1 time in total.

SilviuAgo

mwillems wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 13:15
FittingMechanics wrote:
Just saw in the Ferrari thread. When was the tyre pressure adjustment? Pre fast lap?
Leclerc did a fast lap, then complaining about car behaviour and box. A mechanic checked front tires pressure and he was back again but did a +1 lap time till drop off.

mwillems

OK so tyre pressure isn't the reason for his slow lap on softs. Hopefully (Sorry Charles), he's screwed.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
21 Sep 2024, 13:15
FittingMechanics wrote:
After first hot lap. Leclerc complained a lot on the radio, went into pits, they changed front wing and did something with the pressures. Then he did a second lap that fell apart because tires couldn't do a second hot lap.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

I can see that Russel improved by 1.7s from his medium run, Norris improved by 2s and Piastri by 1.6s.

Could it be that Mercedes engine was tuned down especially hard for the medium run? It is quite hot in Singapore and maybe they are just being cautious. Could explain big jumps by at least 3 of Mercedes engine cars. Alonso also improved by 1.4s or so. Ferraris and Red Bulls gained about 1s.