2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

Yeah. A DNF is required to spice this up otherwise WDC is quite unlikely.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

bauc

I now remember one interview with Hamilton when he said that after his McLaren stopped in Singapore while leading the race he decided to join Mercedes, even though as Ron said, it was not a McLaren part that failed but the rest is history now. Call me crazy, but I see Norris's win in Singapore now as a good sing that we might, just might get this one in our bags.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Emag
Emag

bauc wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:38
I now remember one interview with Hamilton when he said that after his McLaren stopped in Singapore while leading the race he decided to join Mercedes, even though as Ron said, it was not a McLaren part that failed but the rest is history now. Call me crazy, but I see Norris's win in Singapore now as a good sing that we might, just might get this one in our bags.
They are heavily reliant on this Austin upgrade, whatever it may be, and should actually bring significant performance so that they could continue to win races.

Both Ferrari and RedBull are bringing things there and I get the feeling however things look in Austin, will give us a proper read on how the season might end.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

If we look even now historically at the not yet completed 2024 season, this season is indeed somewhat similar to 2011-2012. My predictions so far correlate well, although I did not expect McLaren to dominate some races so much. It is difficult to say whether Lando will take the title or not, I am not very worried about it. For me, team results are always more valuable. The main thing is that McLaren takes the constructors' cup. The team has not had them for quite a long time.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

geogate wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:13
lando wont win every race and Max wont be second in every race. Start thinking about wdc if Max has a really, really bad sunday, otherwise for goodness sakes, just enjoy the racing
Well said. WDC would be miracle result. No one in history managed to win after being so far back. We should enjoy McLaren at the top and not focus too much on WDC.

I think it is quite unfair to get Ricciardo go and spoil fastest lap for Lando. It is exactly this type of moves is why no one should own two teams.
LionsHeart wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:13
Well done, McLaren Team! Very great job!

Well, first realized pole position from Lando, who brought it to victory without giving up the position! And I believe he was first from start to finish. Fast lap from Dan looks pathetic. Red Bull can't do otherwise. Congratulations to Lando on the third victory, and Oscar on the podium after starting from fifth position! Very cool. Lando also made me nervous with his aggressive driving, there were close to retirements at least twice.
Lando realized pole position in Zaandvoort but he lost the lead.

This is first time where he led from the start to the end.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

bauc wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:30
Slahinki wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 15:47
Sucks that Red Bull have 4 cars they can use to take the fastest lap away from Lando.
Clear evidence that one man runs 2 teams, regardless of how much they claim to be independed from RBR, they are simply their B team, and its not a fair fight like this, they can always go for the fastest lap each race and do this..... :x
I expected Perez to do it, but getting VCARB is just an insult.

SilviuAgo

FittingMechanics wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:21
bauc wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:30
Slahinki wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 15:47
Sucks that Red Bull have 4 cars they can use to take the fastest lap away from Lando.
Clear evidence that one man runs 2 teams, regardless of how much they claim to be independed from RBR, they are simply their B team, and its not a fair fight like this, they can always go for the fastest lap each race and do this..... :x
I expected Perez to do it, but getting VCARB is just an insult.
According to Chris Medland, Zak Brown has mentioned he will ask questions about Red Bull and Racing Bulls.

He feels teams should operate independently on a sporting level, and that this was as an A and a B team.

chasefreak
chasefreak

Barely few months ago. Prior to austin. How we all were talking abt the build up to 2025 and how McLaren will be competitive.
And as I see it today, by 40+ points we leading the constructors. It’s purely amazing
Gr8 job to all the bois and gals at McLaren

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

SilviuAgo wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:24
According to Chris Medland, Zak Brown has mentioned he will ask questions about Red Bull and Racing Bulls.

He feels teams should operate independently on a sporting level, and that this was as an A and a B team.
Only silver lining for them is that they can justify it as being a "send off" gift to Ricciardo. But I am seeing Ricciardo is saying he did it to help Max out, not sure that admitting to it is smart.

bananapeel23

mwillems wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 16:33
Verstappen getting tangled up in a first lap incident is far from unlikely with him no longer starting on the front row every race. It doesn't need to be a DNF. It could be anything from a spin to a broken front wing or a puncture. Austin tends to have particularly problematic starts with the uphill, narrowing turn 1.

Frankly Verstappen has been VERY lucky that we've gone 9 races without any real incidents of note. You're pretty damn likely to get tangled up in some kind of incident in 9 races running anywhere but P1. The fact that he hasn't is pretty damn lucky.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

bananapeel23 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:29
mwillems wrote:
Verstappen getting tangled up in a first lap incident is far from unlikely with him no longer starting on the front row every race. It doesn't need to be a DNF. It could be anything from a spin to a broken front wing or a puncture. Austin tends to have particularly problematic starts with the uphill, narrowing turn 1.

Frankly Verstappen has been VERY lucky that we've gone 9 races without any real incidents of note. You're pretty damn likely to get tangled up in some kind of incident in 9 races running anywhere but P1. The fact that he hasn't is pretty damn lucky.
Not only he was very lucky by not being tangled up early on, but he had two incidents during races where he managed to continue and win significant points.

In Austria he gained 10 points over Norris who had to retire. Realistically if Norris goes through and wins it is a 17 or 18 points swing.
In Hungary he banged wheels strongly with a Mercedes - managing to continue. That was another 10 points.

If that didn't happen it's a gap of 24 points to P1. I think McLaren might swap in Monza then as well. Completely different championship.

But we can always look like that. Verstappen had the brake issue and lost 25 or 26 points in that race. Lando almost crashed into the wall today and would lose 25 points.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

FittingMechanics wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:18

Well said. WDC would be miracle result. No one in history managed to win after being so far back. We should enjoy McLaren at the top and not focus too much on WDC.
You're creating a fallacy argument to downplay expectation and responsibility. No one managed to lose with such a car advantage that Norris has had for majority of the season over his tital rival. The miracle would be if Verstappen would win the WDC given the performance deficit he has faced against the MCL38 for most of the season.

Points are just a distraction. Only the total sum at the end of the year after all the races are run matters and if you put the same driver in two cars, one slower than the other. That driver will beat his clone over the season if his car was faster for majority of the races over the season.
A lion must kill its prey.

bananapeel23

FittingMechanics wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:34
bananapeel23 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:29
mwillems wrote:

Not only he was very lucky by not being tangled up early on, but he had two incidents during races where he managed to continue and win significant points.

In Austria he gained 10 points over Norris who had to retire. Realistically if Norris goes through and wins it is a 17 or 18 points swing.
In Hungary he banged wheels strongly with a Mercedes - managing to continue. That was another 10 points.

If that didn't happen it's a gap of 24 points to P1. I think McLaren might swap in Monza then as well. Completely different championship.

But we can always look like that. Verstappen had the brake issue and lost 25 or 26 points in that race. Lando almost crashed into the wall today and would lose 25 points.
Verstappen is also VERY lucky that the Canada-Austria slump for Ferrari happened. Had Ferrari maintained that form, Leclerc would have been consistently breathing up his neck and taking points off him.

Realistically Leclerc has probably been the best driver out of the lot this season and would probably have been within 30 points of Max if Canada-Austria didn't happen. His biggest mistake all season was getting overtaken in Baku on cold tyres and going over track limits in Singapore on tyres that were too cold.
Last edited by bananapeel23 on 22 Sep 2024, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Guys let's not talk about DNF's for Max and end up jinxing Lando or Oscar... :lol:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

McL-H
McL-H

I think all teams should protest about RB owning 2 teams in this sport going forward. Starting 2025 this should be over and done with. Address the regulations to this problem, so they will be forced to sell to the team and we can finally welcome a tenth team to the sport in the name of Andretti.