2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
SilviuAgo

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:34
FittingMechanics wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:18

Well said. WDC would be miracle result. No one in history managed to win after being so far back. We should enjoy McLaren at the top and not focus too much on WDC.
You're creating a fallacy argument to downplay expectation and responsibility. No one managed to lose with such a car advantage that Norris has had for majority of the season over his tital rival. The miracle would be if Verstappen would win the WDC given the performance deficit he has faced against the MCL38 for most of the season.

Points are just a distraction. Only the total sum at the end of the year after all the races are run matters and if you put the same driver in two cars, one slower than the other. That driver will beat his clone over the season if his car was faster for majority of the races over the season.
What are you talking about? Max won 7 from the first 10 GP this year. And everyone was happy that 2023 is not repeating and we have also other drivers winning not only Max. McLaren started 4th fastest team and the Miami upgrade didn't turn the car in the fastest one. So other GP's passed when also Ferrari and Mercedes improved their cars. So is not straightforward where McLaren is now. Is a championship where there are 4 teams fighting almost each racing weekend for the win. If is not RedBull is Ferrari, if not Ferrari is Mercedes, so there are no easy wins in 2024, or a dominant car. So play down this "victimization" about "Verstappen ... deficit he has faced against the MCL38 for most of the season."

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

SilviuAgo wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:45
What are you talking about? Max won 7 from the first 10 GP this year.
He won Imola, Spain, and Canada for his own brilliance with the tow in Imola qualy, the 1st lap in Spain, and Canada. The car was not a factor since Miami, the 6th round.

Norris for his own part destroyed his own races in Spain, Silverstone, Hungary, Monza, and Spa. That is why the "gap that can never be come back from" fallacy arises. I won't even get into getting dummied in Austria sprint, and the GP itself. The car has been there to win the championship for a very long time. The miracle is Verstappen still leading it.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 22 Sep 2024, 17:52, edited 4 times in total.
A lion must kill its prey.

SilviuAgo

McL-H wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:42
I think all teams should protest about RB owning 2 teams in this sport going forward. Starting 2025 this should be over and done with. Address the regulations to this problem, so they will be forced to sell to the team and we can finally welcome a tenth team to the sport in the name of Andretti.
Or they (FIA) can change the regulation and to consider for the Fastest Lap the times set only by those getting points. And in the future if this B team from Dead Last, as Ricci was today, try to play games, will be useless.

Seerix
Seerix

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:47
SilviuAgo wrote:
He won Imola, Spain, and Canada for his own brilliance with the tow in Imola qualy, the 1st lap in Spain, and Canada. The car was not a factor since Miami, the 6th round.

Norris for his own part destroyed his own races in Spain, Silverstone, Hungary, Monza, and Spa. That is why the "gap that can never be come back from" fallacy arises. I won't even get into getting dummied in Austria sprint, and the GP itself. The car has been there to win the championship for a very long time.
It's just a statement. The gap is X points. Noone came back from such a gap ever. You don't need to get so worked up about it :D but go on

SilviuAgo

AR3-GP wrote:
SilviuAgo wrote:
I am a McLaren fan but I have to admit that Max is brilliant. Maybe RB20 is not where Max drives but neither where Perez is doing. Is something in between. Max is a great driver and was doing above expectation with his car, covering some deficit of the RB, but I still not consider that all this time, after Miami, McLaren had a dominant car. Yes, they were capable to fight for front rows, for podiums, wins, but not to forget also what everyone said: Baku and Singapore are races Ferrari to lose. So MCL38 was not the favorite car.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Just saw the post F1 show with Daniel pretty much admitting doing the fastest lap was for Max. That's definitely against the spirit of the sport. It was a pretty hard watch, with Daniel getting very emotional at the end.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ben1980
Ben1980

AR3-GP wrote:
SilviuAgo wrote:

Norris for his own part destroyed his own races in Spain, Silverstone, Hungary, Monza, and Spa. That is why the "gap that can never be come back from" fallacy arises. I won't even get into getting dummied in Austria sprint, and the GP itself. The car has been there to win the championship for a very long time. The miracle is Verstappen still leading it.
The car could have done better, but it was not clearly better. And even a 50 point gap, like China was never going to be reduced easily, as all teams were close.

From The Netherlands it all changed though, and Mclaren took a big step. But, as shown, The RB hasn't been far off, pretty comfy second in Netherlands and here.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Mansell89 wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 15:58
Urgh. This thread.

One of the most disappointing things I see on these weekends is the absolute neg ferrets who fester on any ounce of slightly imperfect element of the weekend and then lambast the team or driver for it.

Today we’re seeing people say Piastris p3 and 40s gap to team mate is “unacceptable”.

What don’t you understand? Stop reading the timing charts literally and open your eyes as to what actually happened in the race. He started p5, he had to manage tyre heat like everyone else and settle in behind the Mercs until the race strategy opened up to enable overtakes.

He executed perfectly and his only error this weekend was qualifying P5.

Amazing weekend for the team, two unbelievable young drivers, smashed Max by 30s which will happen very rarely, and extending the lead in the WCC.

Enjoy days like these because RBR are coming with upgrades in Texas.
It is indeed amusing… A great weekend for the Team, but it seems that some will always have a need to pound on the team / drivers at any opportunity.

Great job by Lando, a few scares out there but ultimately brought it home, opening a full pit window at one point during the race was, even if I don’t like the word, Dominant.

Great job by Piastri too… When you are stuck behind someone, your pace will match the car in front if you don’t really have the possibility for an overtake… If the strategy was to go long, killing his tires in the first stint trying to get the overtake, would have forced him into an earlier stop, potentially with more traffic to navigate and ultimately vulnerable by the end of the race… A safety car, which has happened on every race in Singapore except this one, would have potentially given him P2, so nothing to recriminate from me about his drive.

Extending the lead in the WCC, cutting the gap a bit in the WCC… Not a lot to complain about in my book.

SilviuAgo

Ground Effect wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:53
Just saw the post F1 show with Daniel pretty much admitting doing the fastest lap was for Max. That's definitely against the spirit of the sport. It was a pretty hard watch, with Daniel getting very emotional at the end.
Indeed, is not about that 1 point, cause we know the internal discussion McLaren had regarding Hungary result, not switching cars in Monza etc and there were more than 1 point. Is the spirit of the sport and by doing things for you, for your team, for your fans. An entire discussion was when Oscar went for the gap in Monza and all RB fans said this is sport and if Lando wants the championship to fight for it, and today they are cheering for Ricci taking the FL point from Lando. What an end for Ricci career. =D>

geogate
geogate

maybe he will get a bonus and he can commission another statue of himself

SilviuAgo

Statistics...

CjC
CjC

Ground Effect wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 17:53
Name me another situation in professional sport where 2 teams compete against each other and their direct rivals in the same events…..
Just a fan's point of view

bananapeel23

I’ve said if before and I’ll say it again.

Lando is not a true top driver. Verstappen, Hamilton, Leclerc and probably even Alonso would easily win the WDC in the McLaren. No top driver has any business losing the WDC in that car. Verstappen or Hamilton would probably get 12-15 wins in a car that dominant. Leclerc or Alonso probably 9-13.

Norris is really good, but he’s more of a Button or Massa or Rosberg than a Hamilton. He’s barely good enough for a WDC and needs a really dominant car to win one.

That car has been at worst joint best at every single race since Miami. 3/18 wins in that car is absolutely pathetic for someone that is touted as a top driver.
Last edited by bananapeel23 on 22 Sep 2024, 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

Slahinki
Slahinki

SilviuAgo wrote:
22 Sep 2024, 18:10
Statistics...

Going to be exciting to see if they can beat that streak from 07-08. Impressive stuff what McLaren have achieved in such a short time.

chrisc90

Max points start of season to Miami: 136points
Lando points start of season to Miami: 83points

Difference of 53points. 12 races on the points gap is the same (by 1 point).

That's quite a fact to bring things down to earth when you consider how well the McLaren car has been since its Miami update and how much the Red Bull fell off.