2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 09:40
Lando would have this WDC in the bag if Mercedes and Ferrari did not up their game so much. Having them challenge McLaren and "take away" wins is what kept the lead for Verstappen. Points gap is the biggest if you are P1, anything under that falls down to 2 or 3 points difference per position. With Lando losing out 10 points to Max in Austria it meant he had to work hard to gain it back. Bad luck and bad strategy calls didn't help.

If he doesn't win it we can still be very proud of the team, Lando and Oscar. I'd love to see a strong challenge to the end of season just to be there if anything happens but as we've seen in Singapore, it doesn't take a lot for it all to unravel.

But, for the sake of balance, Lando could also be in touching distance if he hadn't made half of the mistakes he has. Championships are won by competing and converting, can't blame it on others, it's not really a championship if you're not competing against anyone :D

But he gets another chance to go again. Since summer, 2 dominant races, 1 misfortune, 1 costly mistake. He's looking a lot stronger but with a fight from Ferrari, good luck to him. I think he's left it too late, but it can turn around in a flash.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 09:51
But, for the sake of balance, Lando could also be in touching distance if he hadn't made half of the mistakes he has. Championships are won by competing and converting, can't blame it on others, it's not really a championship if you're not competing against anyone :D

But he gets another chance to go again. Since summer, 2 dominant races, 1 misfortune, 1 costly mistake. He's looking a lot stronger but with a fight from Ferrari, good luck to him. I think he's left it too late, but it can turn around in a flash.
I seem to forget but which mistakes. Losing positions at the start?

bauc

Zak on Twitter:

Peace in F1 has been restored on flight home (where’s Netflix when you need them!) - but the battle will continue on track. What an awesome sport!

https://x.com/ZBrownCEO/status/18381210 ... 27/photo/1
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

the EDGE
the EDGE

bauc wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 10:04
Zak on Twitter:

Peace in F1 has been restored on flight home (where’s Netflix when you need them!) - but the battle will continue on track. What an awesome sport!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GYJRWIrXAAA ... name=small

Is there a reason they have matching tops?

Macklaren
Macklaren

Looks like First Class pajamas on Singapore airlines or Emirates

BMMR61

Before everyone here heads off on their second summer holiday, what do we think about the B-Team situation? After a bit of disgruntlement about Daniel stealing the fastest lap point, could people express where they think any boundaries between two teams colluding should be drawn. I thought the Singapore issue was fairly minor but at the same time pointed to the sort of conflicts possible if the parent company choose to utilise the B team.

What I would not like to see is the sort of slow rolling block that was utilised in two recent championship final rounds. Hamilton blocking his own teammate in 2016 and Checo blocking Hamilton in 2021. I agree with Zak that there are questionable aspects to the case of Red Bull owning two teams. In commerce, the "watchdog" institution sometimes orders the breaking up of undesirable company hegemonies like monopolies. Personally I'd like to see RB (VCARB) prepared for sale to the highest bidder.

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 09:54
mwillems wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 09:51

I seem to forget but which mistakes. Losing positions at the start?
Not so much the drag strip, but I' m sure some of that is on Lando, I might do some analysis of 0 to 100 across every race between the top 6 of the championship.

Racing mistakes, going round the outside of Lewis in China Sprint, extreme focus on Max to give a double tow to Russell and not even consider the guy behind, Austria Divebombs, overshooting his pit in Silverstone, Belgium, going off track and then having a moment with Sainz costing serious points, Hungary start and also by not being clear headed, giving Oscar the place back immediately and then winning the race on merit (!), Monza T2 mistake that gave Oscar the advantage into T3. Everyone makes mistakes, but it is not a coincidence that most of Lando's happen on Lap 1 when the adrenaline is pumping more than most times.

I've tried to go with the the less subjective instances, but we can debate privately if you want, or set up another thread for it, it's been done to death in here. I thought twice about posting but would appreciate any carry on happening elsewhere.
Last edited by mwillems on 23 Sep 2024, 11:36, edited 2 times in total.

-Bandit

mwillems

BMMR61 wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 10:46
Before everyone here heads off on their second summer holiday, what do we think about the B-Team situation? After a bit of disgruntlement about Daniel stealing the fastest lap point, could people express where they think any boundaries between two teams colluding should be drawn. I thought the Singapore issue was fairly minor but at the same time pointed to the sort of conflicts possible if the parent company choose to utilise the B team.

What I would not like to see is the sort of slow rolling block that was utilised in two recent championship final rounds. Hamilton blocking his own teammate in 2016 and Checo blocking Hamilton in 2021. I agree with Zak that there are questionable aspects to the case of Red Bull owning two teams. In commerce, the "watchdog" institution sometimes orders the breaking up of undesirable company hegemonies like monopolies. Personally I'd like to see RB (VCARB) prepared for sale to the highest bidder.
B Team has been debated for years, ever since Vettel vs Alonso, nothing was done then and won't be now. Most recognise it isn't very healthy and offers and advantage to RB but that's how it is.

Regarding Dan, he has many reasons to do that off his own back. He might want to curry favour with the team, his friendship with Max and his rivalry with Lando, who helped push him out of the sport, rivalry with Mclaren. He might have done the same thing if driving for Alpine if it was looking like his last race, I'm sure they'd let him pit and go out with the fastest lap.

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

Regarding B Teams.

Two teams with the same owners shouldn't be allowed, in any sport. I dobt like the multi ownership model in football either.

Even if it is all fine, it opens up the perception of being dodgy. With this Ricciardo thing being case in point.

It may have just been a Swan song to get the fastest lap on his final lap. But it can be seen as a bit dodgy to many.

bauc

the EDGE wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 10:16
bauc wrote:
Zak on Twitter:

Airplane provided pijamas? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ben1980
Ben1980

bauc wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 11:17
the EDGE wrote:
bauc wrote:
Zak on Twitter:

How the other half live.

SilviuAgo

bauc wrote:
the EDGE wrote:
bauc wrote:
Zak on Twitter:

:))))))) Next time I will ask pijamas in the airplane I will be kicked out together with my economy class ticket :lol:

bauc

SilviuAgo wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 11:56
bauc wrote:
the EDGE wrote:

:))))))) Next time I will ask pijamas in the airplane I will be kicked out together with my economy class ticket :lol:
You guys get economy class tickets? :mrgreen:

SilviuAgo

Very good article by Marc Hughes:
https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/mark ... periority/

There was a moment, four-five laps into the race, where up and down the pitwall there was general surprise that he was pushing as hard as he was, almost two seconds ahead of Max Verstappen by the end of the fifth lap.

Surely he was pressing the medium tyre too hard for the optimum strategy? Except that he wasn’t pushing. He was at this point just waiting for his tyres to come fully up to temperature. Even doing this he was pulling away from the Red Bull at 0.5s per lap. Which in turn was well clear of the two Mercedes.

It was lap nine when Norris was told he could begin to push. He duly lapped a full 1s faster than Verstappen. That’s how far ahead the MCL38 was around here, a high-downforce track where it’s all about balance and driveability.

mwillems

bauc wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 12:00
SilviuAgo wrote:
23 Sep 2024, 11:56
bauc wrote:

You guys get economy class tickets? :mrgreen:
You get hosed and deloused on the way into economy class these days, it's like Shawshank redemption!

Before anyone gets offended, I not only fly economy class, I fly Ryanair!! That's like the basement of economy. To see my family in France and Portugal.

I used to fly first class when I flew with work, and it was very nice to be fair. Free drinks, pillows, blankets and food that isn't so terrible. But sadly I once spent 14 hours flying sitting next to J-Lo's drummer who spent the flight bitching about not being in business class with J-Lo. And then for some reason, more than half the first class flights I travelled on I was also near a baby who would spend many of the hours crying through the flight...

I suspect that Zak and Christian are not flying economy, first or business class, but have charted their own plane shared amongst other teams and drivers. Something most of us will never even get close to!

-Bandit