2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vanja #66

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

deadhead wrote:
15 Oct 2024, 17:20
I think it's not a secret that HAM likes the seat a far back as possible as well so that could be another benefit.

Changing so many things could also backfire, but I doubt they will make any colossal mistakes :D
I don't think Hamilton's cockpit preference is really a thing. W11 was a ridiculous transoceanic tanker and the cockpit was very far forward because extending rear axle rearwards allowed greater floor area and downforce and I can't remember him ever complaining about cockpit position :mrgreen:

The idea behind W13 and forward cockpit position was packaging and aligning CoG with expected CoP position. Like Ferrari, Mercedes went the classic route of venturi floor design in 2022 - placing the throat fairly forward and replicating aero foil geometry with the tunnel roof, which places overall CoP more forward than going with Red Bull route. Inwashing and clean rear end was a packaging consequence, because you need to place everything as close to CoG in all directions to reduce inertia of the car.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

catent

Chuckjr wrote:
16 Oct 2024, 05:44
yooogurt wrote:
15 Oct 2024, 17:23
It is known by the acronym 677 or as the “Lewis car”.

https://www.gazzetta.it/motori/ferrari/ ... n-f1.shtml
The alienation of CL has already begun.
smh.
Right, the French driver, with a French TP and TD, who just recently had his contract extended, is being alienated by a lighthearted phrase describing next season's car and his (new) 7x WDC winning teammate.

This notion that Leclerc is being alienated, pushed out, or otherwise undermined, is really hard to believe and tremendously premature to be claiming. Just ask the man himself: he's content at Ferrari, feels good about their future prospects, and is reportedly fully supportive of Hamilton's arrival (per Vasseur and Leclerc himself). To claim Leclerc is being alienated by Hamilton's arrival is biased opinion without evidence.

We know you don't like Lewis Hamilton on a (deeply) personal level. We know you think acquiring Lewis Hamilton was a bad idea for Ferrari and disagree with their decision. Naturally, you're biased in a way that will make you inclined to believe the narrative you're suggesting is true (even in the presence of reporting indicating otherwise).

SiLo

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 Oct 2024, 09:34
deadhead wrote:
15 Oct 2024, 17:20
I think it's not a secret that HAM likes the seat a far back as possible as well so that could be another benefit.

Changing so many things could also backfire, but I doubt they will make any colossal mistakes :D
I don't think Hamilton's cockpit preference is really a thing. W11 was a ridiculous transoceanic tanker and the cockpit was very far forward because extending rear axle rearwards allowed greater floor area and downforce and I can't remember him ever complaining about cockpit position :mrgreen:

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-yrkef1j ... 12.jpg?c=2

The idea behind W13 and forward cockpit position was packaging and aligning CoG with expected CoP position. Like Ferrari, Mercedes went the classic route of venturi floor design in 2022 - placing the throat fairly forward and replicating aero foil geometry with the tunnel roof, which places overall CoP more forward than going with Red Bull route. Inwashing and clean rear end was a packaging consequence, because you need to place everything as close to CoG in all directions to reduce inertia of the car.
I'm guessing it's all about the driver sitting central to the CoP of the aero platform, and that the current cars have it farther back then the previous gen because of the lack of barge board freedom.
Felipe Baby!

Vanja #66

SiLo wrote:
16 Oct 2024, 14:05
I'm guessing it's all about the driver sitting central to the CoP of the aero platform, and that the current cars have it farther back then the previous gen because of the lack of barge board freedom.
For a long time now, driver sits ahead of CoG, which is always (more or less, depending on velocity) ahead of CoP along longitudinal X axis. According to 2022-2025 rules, your CoG at all times during Q session needs to be at least 44.6% front and no more than 53.9% rear, ie you have 55mm between both boundary CoG X positions if you maximise the wheelbase to 3600mm. W13 cockpit was 150+ mm ahead of RB cockpit and F1-75 cockpit was 100-110mm ahead of RB cockpit too, obviously all 3 cars were within weight distribution limits.

Obviously, all teams can place the CoP to their liking, but for driveability reasons you need to keep a certain relation between CoP and CoG, which means your CoP boundaries are also somewhat limited by rules. Setting up their 2022 concepts, Mercedes and Ferrari definitely planned and expected a lot of floor downforce at the front and a limited amount at the rear, which is how it was with previous 80s ground-effect floors. Mercedes moved their cockpit almost to RB's position, they also changed their floor concept and aero map a lot for this season, but Ferrari kept their cockpit position fixed on all 3 cars so far. They have, however, kept their floor concept very different from RB/McLaren and still rely on more load at the front of the floor, keeping the diffuser kick quite high. There is zero sense in changing their core floor concept approach for the final season, so I expect they want to add "free" rear downforce by moving CoG and CoP to the rear by design and I wouldn't be surprised if we see a fairly pronounced diffuser kick on SF25, while keeping the throat at the front around the SIS tube

#BlessYouLaddie

KimiRai
KimiRai

A question that surged in another thread but I guess is a bit more on topic here. Did James Allison leave Ferrari only for personal reasons or was he fired instead?

ScuderiaLeo

Duchessa (F1.uno)

I believe it's important for Ferrari to check on a demanding track what the Monza package and the Singapore wing are delivering. I don't expect any significant new parts, except for load adjustments (upper flap for downforce). I don't expect Serra to be on track for this triple-header.

Vanja #66

KimiRai wrote:
16 Oct 2024, 15:48
A question that surged in another thread but I guess is a bit more on topic here. Did James Allison leave Ferrari only for personal reasons or was he fired instead?
He wanted to spend more time in UK after his wife suddenly passed away in March 2016. Ferrari wanted him back in Maranello full time instead and Marchione wanted him there asap. They agreed to part ways in July that year, Allison obviously couldn't leave his children alone in that situation. He was chassis TD since mid-2013 and full TD soon afterwards

#BlessYouLaddie

scuderiabrandon

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
16 Oct 2024, 16:05
Duchessa (F1.uno)

I believe it's important for Ferrari to check on a demanding track what the Monza package and the Singapore wing are delivering. I don't expect any significant new parts, except for load adjustments (upper flap for downforce). I don't expect Serra to be on track for this triple-header.
Everyone that has reported on Ferrari upgrades has used words like “could” “seem” “I think” “I believe”, very speculative. It seems no one really knows, the team might just be very tightly lipped, which is quite atypical.

The only sources that have been definitive in their reports are Corriere & Franco Nugnes. Let's see, I find it strange that Vasseur would say they are bringing new stuff and then don't.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Vanja #66 wrote:
16 Oct 2024, 18:09
KimiRai wrote:
16 Oct 2024, 15:48
He wanted to spend more time in UK after his wife suddenly passed away in March 2016. Ferrari wanted him back in Maranello full time instead and Marchione wanted him there asap. They agreed to part ways in July that year, Allison obviously couldn't leave his children alone in that situation. He was chassis TD since mid-2013 and full TD soon afterwards
Ok, thanks.