Bib parc fermé ride height trick

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: Bib parc fermé ride height trick

pantherxxx wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 18:09
This could theoretically explain why Lando Norris was able to be 1 second per lap faster than Verstappen at the beginning of the Singapore GP. McLaren’s car would be perfectly set up to handle the heavy load, while other teams, forced to compromise, might struggle with balance, grip, and tire management early on.

At the start of the race, with a full fuel load, most teams would be using a compromised setup that balances qualifying performance with race performance. However, if McLaren (using this trick) could start the race with an optimal setup tailored specifically for a heavy fuel load (via ride height adjustments), they could achieve better stability, downforce, and grip from the very first lap.

As the race progresses and fuel burns off, the car becomes lighter. A lower ride height would once again be optimal for aerodynamics. Since McLaren’s ride height was raised for the heavier fuel load, they might lose the aerodynamic edge once the car becomes lighter in the second stint.

(Again, this is just speculation, I'm not accusing anyone).
If it's Red Bull then it would be this but backwards, Red Bull punches above it's weight in qualifying.

peewon

If the FIA is immediately jumping on something, you can be rest assured its not Mercedes or Mclaren doing it.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Lol look how the thread changed after it was discovered Every team said it's redbull doing it

before the posts were that it was mercedes or mclaren and it's onlt thanks to that that they are fast

suddenly since it's redbull it becomes a nothingburger or just it gives no advantage :lol: :lol:
mental gymnastics working overtime

scuderiabrandon

chrisc90 wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 19:19
"No evidence yet, however - the FIA ​​also states - and Red Bull also strongly denies it."
When you have multiple teams saying you did it, it is hard to look past it. The fact that there is no evidence only means the FIA can't punish them, it can however potentially stop them from doing it again.

scuderiabrandon

pantherxxx wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 19:22
It's probably a nothingburger then. The Mclaren version would have made sense. If a team could adjust ride height for real, they would have a huge advantage, and Red Bull doesn't have that.
Just because they have other problems doesn't exclude them from being the perpetrators. Very often the bad outwieghs the good.

“It only makes sense when it is not the team I support lol” :lol: :lol: :lol:

chrisc90

scuderiabrandon wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 19:40
chrisc90 wrote:
"No evidence yet, however - the FIA ​​also states - and Red Bull also strongly denies it."
When you have multiple teams saying you did it, it is hard to look past it. The fact that there is no evidence only means the FIA can't punish them, it can however potentially stop them from doing it again.
Yet its been quiet until today. If other teams suspected it, of any other team, I imagine there would be someone to shout about it.

pantherxxx
pantherxxx

scuderiabrandon wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 19:42
pantherxxx wrote:
It's probably a nothingburger then. The Mclaren version would have made sense. If a team could adjust ride height for real, they would have a huge advantage, and Red Bull doesn't have that.
Just because they have other problems doesn't exclude them from being the perpetrators. Very often the bad outwieghs the good.

Who said anything about which team I support? I'm a Ferrari fan by the way. From a logical standpoint, it was Mclaren who made sudden huge performance gains this season, and not Red Bull. So in the light of this, it seems more likely that it's just an accusation against Red Bull, than a real serious thing.

scuderiabrandon

chrisc90 wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 19:44
scuderiabrandon wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 19:40
chrisc90 wrote:
Yet its been quiet until today. If other teams suspected it, of any other team, I imagine there would be someone to shout about it.
Because the exclusive article only dropped midnight yesterday, lol? Ofcourse it was quiet until today. In that article, it states discussions have been taking place since Singapore. In the same article, it states that multiple teams pointed to the same suspect.

scuderiabrandon

pantherxxx wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 19:47
scuderiabrandon wrote:
pantherxxx wrote:

Who said anything about which team I support? I'm a Ferrari fan by the way. From a logical standpoint, it was Mclaren who made sudden huge performance gains this season, and not Red Bull. So in the light of this, it seems more likely that it's just an accusation against Red Bull, than a real serious thing.
You are under the assumption that they haven't been doing this the entire season. Like I said, bad development could be outweighing the gains from this, that doesn't make it a 'nothingburger' because changing stuff under parc fermé is a clear, and I mean crystal clear, breach of the regulations. In fact, we shouldn't even be discussing the effectiveness when it is straight out illegal to change stuff under parc fermé.

Now saying there is no evidence is the truth, there is nothing, but that only means they can't get DSQ'ed from past races. However, now that there has been light shed on it, it can stop them from doing it in future races, where you would see the effects of it given the measures put in place are sufficient at stopping them from doing it.

Venturiation
Venturiation

scuderiabrandon wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 19:52
pantherxxx wrote:
scuderiabrandon wrote:

You are under the assumption that they haven't been doing this the entire season. Like I said, bad development could be outweighing the gains from this, that doesn't make it a 'nothingburger' because changing stuff under parc fermé is a clear, and I mean crystal clear, breach of the regulations. In fact, we shouldn't even be discussing the effectiveness when it is straight out illegal to change stuff under parc fermé.

Now saying there is no evidence is the truth, there is nothing, but that only means they can't get DSQ'ed from past races. However, now that there has been light shed on it, it can stop them from doing it in future races, where you would see the effects of it given the measures put in place are sufficient at stopping them from doing it.
But is this just discovered now or was it the thing that changed in Miami but only made public now

scuderiabrandon

Venturiation wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 19:58
scuderiabrandon wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 19:52
pantherxxx wrote:

But is this just discovered now or was it the thing that changed in Miami but only made public now
From autosport article

"It is understood teams have been alerted to the possibility of this happening through the design details of all cars needing to be uploaded to FIA servers on open-source components – which all competitors have access to."

To me, it suggests that this is a system which doesn't require a manual adjustment from a mechanic, so a lever or switch system in the cockpit. Having someone do it manually would be incredibly obvious and suspicious so I don't by into the idea that its a manual input.

Teams miss things, just like they missed Mclaren's rear wing trick, which took a fan (me) to expose it before action was taken.

lio007

Can anybody explain the part "...and points out all design details are uploaded to the FIA server that all teams have access to"
Do the teams really have access to designs of other teams?

the EDGE
the EDGE

lio007 wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 20:06
Can anybody explain the part "...and points out all design details are uploaded to the FIA server that all teams have access to"

https://twitter.com/redbulletin/status/ ... 02QOw&s=19
Read this… https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/f1-2 ... %20designs.

scuderiabrandon

Admitted to the device, did however not admit to using it during parc fermé. So there is still no basis to punish them for the use of it, but it may impact their performance going forward.

lio007

the EDGE wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 20:16
lio007 wrote:
17 Oct 2024, 20:06

https://twitter.com/redbulletin/status/ ... 02QOw&s=19
Read this… https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/f1-2 ... %20designs.
Thank you very much. I didn't realize that there are components like that.