2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
yooogurt

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

search wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 18:01
yeah, but it's worth nothing. Red Bull does a race sim, McLaren & Mercedes a sprint sim, and Ferrari just some laps.
I think Mclaren, Mercedes and Ferrari were doing sprint race simulations and only RB was testing for sunday.
One single practice and Ferrari didn't do any simulation of race pace? Well, that doesn't make any sense.
FORZA FERRARI!

search

yooogurt wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 18:03
search wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 18:01
yeah, but it's worth nothing. Red Bull does a race sim, McLaren & Mercedes a sprint sim, and Ferrari just some laps.
I think Mclaren, Mercedes and Ferrari were doing sprint race simulations and only RB was testing for sunday.
One single practice and Ferrari didn't do any simulation of race pace? Well, that doesn't make any sense.
well, I posted the screenshot above, Sainz did a fast lap, and then some 2 1/2 seconds slower, both on the same fuel load. McLaren often does the same, so the teams obviously are able to project something into it - but I wouldn't think it's possible to compare those kind of runs with more traditional ones from the outside.

Don't get me wrong, it may very well be a better than expected weekend for Ferrari, I was just wondering what I had missed for them to be regarded as on another level as Mercedes. I mean, both have shown that they can win when the circumstances are right, and on paper this was obviously not a track which was very likely to suit Ferrari.

dialtone
dialtone

search wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 18:37
well, I posted the screenshot above, Sainz did a fast lap, and then some 2 1/2 seconds slower, both on the same fuel load. McLaren often does the same, so the teams obviously are able to project something into it - but I wouldn't think it's possible to compare those kind of runs with more traditional ones from the outside.
why?

search

dialtone wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 18:51
search wrote:
why?
because in my opinion, if they are able to go 2 1/2 seconds faster, then it's unlikely that they are on the same fuel load as others

dialtone
dialtone

search wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 18:55
dialtone wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 18:51
search wrote:
why?
because in my opinion, if they are able to go 2 1/2 seconds faster, then it's unlikely that they are on the same fuel load as others
That lap is ultimately 2s slower than the pole lap on softs, we had 0.7s difference from hard to soft on friday practice. So conservatively there's at least 45-50kg and then Sainz did another 6 laps which is 10% of the race so probably another ~10kg. Except for RBR which was obviously on a full tank, Mercedes seems on a very similar fuel load as does MCL.

It's impossible to know exactly but I don't agree that somehow this weekend it isn't representative while all the other weekends it was. It could go either way during the race, but Ferrari was dominating SQ1-2 with the medium and fell off on the softs, as usual.

You don't even need to go very far for the last race where Mercs performed well in quali and terrible in the race, it was in Singapore where they qualified 3rd and 4th only 0.1s off Max and 0.3s off Lando and finished over a minute behind and LEC/SAI who started 9th and 10th were on their heels.

A single practice and short quali session with big temperature drop at the end is definitely not enough to make me think that Mercedes is over their problems when the practice session was terrible for them.

search

dialtone wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 19:10
It's impossible to know exactly but I don't agree that somehow this weekend it isn't representative while all the other weekends it was.
I see it more as a sprint-weekend phenomenon, where teams are more likely to skip the re-fuelling to maximize run time.

But true, given the short length of the sprint, there's indeed not too much room to go lower on fuel when simulating it. And even 10 laps difference on weight are only ~0.8s on this track, so most of the 2 1/2 seconds must come from engine mode and recovered energy.

Juzh

dialtone wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 17:31
search wrote:
19 Oct 2024, 17:20
what reason is there to believe that Ferrari will be quicker than Mercedes?
Race sims, past races where Mercs qualified in front and then slipped back, past races where Ferrari's race pace was superior to their quali pace.

It's been the story of the season more or less.
Normally yes, however mercedes have an update this race which they claim is working as intended so it remains a question if ferraris race pace will hold.

dialtone
dialtone

And now looks like race is hot. 10C hotter than quali

ScuderiaLeo

Fffs why are they wasting tire life fighting each other?!

dialtone
dialtone

Sainz has never raced as hard as he races his own teammates… waste of a seat

Vanja #66

It's a dead heat on who's Ferrari's wprst problem lately, Binotto or Sainz when he only wants to beat Leclerc and doesn't care if they both get out
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

yooogurt

That Carlos decided to perform for himself against the interests of the team is unacceptable!
FORZA FERRARI!

CouncilorIrissa
CouncilorIrissa

Ruined the race with absolutely abhorrent driver management.
Ridiculous.

yooogurt

It was an easy 2-3 at least, and a fight with Max. But because of Carlos, we'll settle for 2-4, we need sanctions!
FORZA FERRARI!

aleks_ader

Nah guys that was fun. Both guys were same pace essentially-
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna