2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

bauc wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:57
mwillems wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:56
CjC wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:45

Yep, hence why they are only 48? points behind.
I wasn’t concerned about them so much when McLaren were fighting them/ sealing wins off them but this weekend McLaren couldn’t match them as much… Oscar was particularly concerning (not that I’m hating on him) but he was never going to be better than P5 all weekend, I know he didn’t have the new wing but P5s aren’t going to win the WCC if Ferrari are scoring double podiums all the way to Abu Dhabi now.

Houldey needs to get those upgrades trackside as soon as now
Our upgrades will arrive and I doubt we'll need to worry too much about Ferrari.

Oscar was off the pace today, not a great drive. Lando was able to show that the car had the pace to be second fastest and to possibly have caught up with Sainz, if not Leclerc, if there wasn't a pesky Dutchman in the way.
Next race is classic race with 3 practice sessions, I believe they must bring the updates there os they have plenty of time to evaluate them, this weekend we messed up the setup on FP1 and that was it.
We did. But I thought we brought it back well for Qualifying and the race. Car was very competitive today once the first half of the Meds stint was gone. After that, car went from strength to strength but unfortunately the T1 incident cost us a lot.
Last edited by mwillems on 21 Oct 2024, 00:08, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Watto
Watto

FittingMechanics wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:00
Ben1980 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:19
No fs given by Toto.

Max will get the WDC but, with the fast Ferrari and hopefully fast Mclaren it will be a limp to a title.
What did Toto say?
Just basically about some bias in decisions with....certain...people...

mwillems

FittingMechanics wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:02
mwillems wrote:
Yep, poor rules, they allow you to go off when you are fighting and not get a track limits.

Totally agree with the fact the rules have the change (Although there would still be grey areas), but as they stand, the job of the driver is to use those rules to their advantage and Max does that better time and again, whilst sometimes going over the limit.
This is why I think it will lead to accidents. Norris will surely next time just dive to the inside and invite the crash. That is what he should have been doing.

Other option is to know that you have to overtake on the outside, instead of doing the switchback just overtake off the track and get 5 seconds. Immediately come onto the radio and complain that you were forced off. This is probably much less riskier than diving to the inside. If Lando did that on one of the earlier laps, he would have got a penalty but make the gap. This is what Verstappen does sometimes.
It was a shame not to see Lando try to be aggressive very tight on the inside. Felt like he didn't vary his attack at all and give too much for Verstappen to deal with mentally.

-Bandit

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Watto wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:05
FittingMechanics wrote:
Ben1980 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:19
No fs given by Toto.

Max will get the WDC but, with the fast Ferrari and hopefully fast Mclaren it will be a limp to a title.
What did Toto say?
Just basically about some bias in decisions with....certain...people...
I really don't think it is bias. Max is just using the gray areas of the rulebook to his advantage.

As I've written already, today he didn't make the corner, this was the reason he was still ahead at the apex. Norris was ahead before that but Norris braked to make the corner, Max on the inside should be braking earlier because the angle is worse for him yet he brakes later, forcing Norris off and not even making the corner. This is effectively a defensive divebomb without making the corner. It should not be allowed.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:06
It was a shame not to see Lando try to be aggressive very tight on the inside. Felt like he didn't vary his attack at all and give too much for Verstappen to deal with mentally.
Yeah, you will not be overtaking Max on the outside in the corner.

Watto
Watto

ImageStrwards decision

That Max went off he got away with a 5 sec penalty instead of the 10 the rules suggest.

mwillems

Watto wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:08
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GaXYKdjXwAA ... me=900x900 Strwards decision

That Max went off he got away with a 5 sec penalty instead of the 10 the rules suggest.
Like it needed spelling out.

Some think that their own romantic view of how racing should work are actually the rules. They are not, the outcome was inevitable and the decision correct, whether anyone likes the rules or not.

-Bandit

Watto
Watto

mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:06
FittingMechanics wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:02
mwillems wrote:
Yep, poor rules, they allow you to go off when you are fighting and not get a track limits.

Totally agree with the fact the rules have the change (Although there would still be grey areas), but as they stand, the job of the driver is to use those rules to their advantage and Max does that better time and again, whilst sometimes going over the limit.
This is why I think it will lead to accidents. Norris will surely next time just dive to the inside and invite the crash. That is what he should have been doing.

Other option is to know that you have to overtake on the outside, instead of doing the switchback just overtake off the track and get 5 seconds. Immediately come onto the radio and complain that you were forced off. This is probably much less riskier than diving to the inside. If Lando did that on one of the earlier laps, he would have got a penalty but make the gap. This is what Verstappen does sometimes.
Thats perhaps the only thing I saw that maybe Lando didn't try enough really force Max or catch him off guard. Knew what was coming each time.

Max uses the rules to within an inch of their life,

FNTC
FNTC

Max exploits the rules as they are written, as he should. He was a head at the apex (due to braking late), and went outside of track limits, sacrificing one of his 3 allowable offenses. Lando just overtook outside the track, after being behind at the apex, which will always be a penalty. So he should have gotten 10sec if Max made the corner and got only 5 since Max didn't.

bauc

mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:04
bauc wrote:
mwillems wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:56

Our upgrades will arrive and I doubt we'll need to worry too much about Ferrari.

Oscar was off the pace today, not a great drive. Lando was able to show that the car had the pace to be second fastest and to possibly have caught up with Sainz, if not Leclerc, if there wasn't a pesky Dutchman in the way.
Next race is classic race with 3 practice sessions, I believe they must bring the updates there os they have plenty of time to evaluate them, this weekend we messed up the setup on FP1 and that was it.
We did. But I thought we brought it back well for Qualifying and the race. Car was very competitive today once the first half of the Meds stint was gone. After that, car went from strength to strength but unfortunately the T1 incident cost us a lot.
Only FP1, the updates were not raced as per Lando's comments after qualifying.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

mwillems

bauc wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:12
mwillems wrote:
bauc wrote:

Oh I meant I agree they messed up setup for FP1, but I thought they brought the car back to a good place for Qualy.

Despite the outcome, the car looked second only to Ferrari for the majority of the race.
Sadly, even when we left T11 just .5 seconds behind Max, it still wasn't close enough. Car didn't have quite the straight line speed to get past Max, and on this occasion, I will openly say that the Flexiwing would have seen us challenging for P2.

-Bandit

CjC
CjC

bauc wrote:
mwillems wrote:
bauc wrote:

I thought they did get raced?
After Lando said he was glad of the updates because if he didn’t have them he would have been further back?
Just a fan's point of view

Watto
Watto

mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:09
Watto wrote:

Like it needed spelling out.

Some think that their own romantic view of how racing should work are actually the rules. They are not, the outcome was inevitable and the decision correct, whether anyone likes the rules or not.
Yep can see that maybe the guidelines around the rules need some looking at. But within the guidelines is probably correct. RIght or wrong Max pushed them hard today. Both Lando and Max drive extremely well.

bauc

mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:16
bauc wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Oh I meant I agree they messed up setup for FP1, but I thought they brought the car back to a good place for Qualy.

Despite the outcome, the car looked second only to Ferrari for the majority of the race.
Sadly, even when we left T11 just .5 seconds behind Max, it still wasn't close enough. Car didn't have quite the straight line speed to get past Max, and on this occasion, I will openly say that the Flexiwing would have seen us challenging for P2.
Aha I got you, yes they turn in around but it was not perfect, we were fast in the corners but too slow on the straight even with DRS.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

CjC
CjC

Watto wrote:

Thanks for this. It’s cleared up a few of my own questions
Just a fan's point of view