2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mwillems

Re: 2024 Mclaren Formula 1 Team

bauc wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:17
mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:16
bauc wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:12

Only FP1, the updates were not raced as per Lando's comments after qualifying.
Oh I meant I agree they messed up setup for FP1, but I thought they brought the car back to a good place for Qualy.

Despite the outcome, the car looked second only to Ferrari for the majority of the race.
Sadly, even when we left T11 just .5 seconds behind Max, it still wasn't close enough. Car didn't have quite the straight line speed to get past Max, and on this occasion, I will openly say that the Flexiwing would have seen us challenging for P2.
Aha I got you, yes they turn in around but it was not perfect, we were fast in the corners but too slow on the straight even with DRS.
I think the DRS zone started too late for such a slow corner that leads to it, but that may be my bias. We were a similar speed to the RB overall, but the DRS zone wasn't long enough that we could push past. I thought we followed generally quite well in T11. The car seemed to be set up for that corner and also 20, for instance. In fact everywhere else we looked good too. Perhaps we were guilt of carrying a little too much wing here.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

Wow, looking at the telemetry, it looks a lot closer in pace to Ferrari than I realised. Lando is quicker in all 4 of the final laps than Charles once he is in clean air and is .25 quicker than Charles fastest lap. Who know what pace Charles had in hand but we were very far from slow.

-Bandit

bananapeel23

mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:30
Wow, looking at the telemetry, it looks a lot closer in pace to Ferrari than I realised. Lando is quicker in all 4 of the final laps than Charles once he is in clean air and is .25 quicker than Charles fastest lap. Who know what pace Charles had in hand but we were very far from slow.
Lando had something like a 10 lap tyre delta. I thought he would have a bigger advantage.

mwillems

bananapeel23 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:40
mwillems wrote:
Lando had something like a 10 lap tyre delta. I thought he would have a bigger advantage.
He'd wrung the life out of his tyres fighting Max. You can see that even on the very old Mediums he was able to match the leading Hard runners for a while. That's why I'm saying, T1 killed us.

-Bandit

.Bole
.Bole

Charles had to lift and coast for majority of hard stint, no clue way. Then last 8 laps he had backmarkers

bananapeel23

mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:50
bananapeel23 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
He'd wrung the life out of his tyres fighting Max. You can see that even on the very old Mediums he was able to match the leading Hard runners for a while. That's why I'm saying, T1 killed us.
Honestly I think this is a bit too hopeful. Ferrari were simply just much quicker, and it showed in both the sprint and the race. Yes, they were much better on the mediums, but they were still comfortably better on the hards as well.

mwillems

bananapeel23 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:54
mwillems wrote:
bananapeel23 wrote:

Honestly I think this is a bit too hopeful. Ferrari were simply just much quicker, and it showed in both the sprint and the race. Yes, they were much better on the mediums, but they were still comfortably better on the hards as well.
Sprint doesn't have anything to do with it, it is a different setup. I wouldn't suggest they were comfortably better, otherwise Sainz would have been pulling a gap to Max, but around 4.5-5 seconds was the best he could do. Lando actually closed time on him, despite fighting Max. If Sainz could have done more, he would have.

-Bandit

bananapeel23

mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:56
bananapeel23 wrote:
mwillems wrote:

Sprint doesn't have anything to do with it, it is a different setup. I wouldn't suggest they were comfortably better, otherwise Sainz would have been pulling a gap to Max, but around 4.5-5 seconds was the best he could do. Lando actually closed time on him, despite fighting Max. If Sainz could have done more, he would have.
You can't say McLaren were as quick as Ferrari because Lando was almost as fast as Sainz (with an even larger tyre delta than he had against Leclerc, might I add). Leclerc is the benchmark. Lando wasn't even close.

It's like saying Haas was as fast as Red Bull becuase Hulkenberg was close to Perez.

Balalu
Balalu

Max went off track too. Had he tried to make the corner within track boundries, Lando would have overtaken him. This is what the stewards have ignored.

What about the divebomb in T1, lap 1? He didn't even make the corner. It being lap 1 is no excuse.

Besides, what happend to track limits yesterday? Surely, Max should have had a lap deleted (Q2?).

I think it's the stewards who should be investigated at this GP.
"I showed him [with my hands] and said: I have bigger balls!” - Mika Hakkinen

mwillems

bananapeel23 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 01:01
mwillems wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 00:56
bananapeel23 wrote:

You can't say McLaren were as quick as Ferrari because Lando was almost as fast as Sainz (with an even larger tyre delta than he had against Leclerc, might I add). Leclerc is the benchmark. Lando wasn't even close.

It's like saying Haas was as fast as Red Bull becuase Hulkenberg was close to Perez.
No, it's not. Carlos is much closer to Charles than Perez to Max.

Edit: also I didn't say we were as quick as Ferrari, I said we weren't that slow in comparison
Last edited by mwillems on 21 Oct 2024, 09:21, edited 2 times in total.

-Bandit

BMMR61

What on earth are (some of) you guys talking about???!!! I've had my early morning review as if in real time and watched the race develop. Some of you here need to look back at how hyperbolic and silly your comments are and feel embarrassed. Some of the accusations are, frankly, deserving of a look by the mods. People seem to think because we are McLaren we deserve to be winning, always. If we aren't, the sulking and moaning starts, I hope you guys know who you are and grow into some big boy (or girl) pants. Rant over.

So the McLaren pace missing on Friday, (predictably enough) returned over the weekend. Lando showed he is very quick but still short of the top shelf in race craft. The first lap dive-bomb was so obvious yet he chose to wave Max through. After that Lando was decent in all regards, except, his unwillingness to take the inside pass and force Max off the edge of the track as was done to him (legally but arguably unfairly).

Oscar came in for a lot of criticism and he was the first to admit the car setup was a struggle for him. Yet in only his second season he kept his team leader (he who must be favoured now) less than 5 seconds ahead, looked after his tyres and came home strongly to pick up valuable points. If you consider how good Sainz was this weekend it's something to say McLaren have the best driver pairing. I hope the rule makers take a close look at how divebombing is (a) legal, and (b) inconsistently judged. Forcing another car off the track should take precedence over almost every other rule, especially regarding overtaking, otherwise divebombing will become a complete defence for anything other than DRS overtakes. Hope everyone enjoyed their Monday morning.

BMMR61

Yeah, and as a final addendum, I'd say (taking off my orange cap) that overall the stewards were either utterly appalling, or, hampered by a set of rules which are not fit for purpose. "FORCING ANOTHER DRIVER OFF THE TRACK" was policed inconsistently and if this isn't addressed soon we will get the near impossibility of clean overtaking, AND some bad accidents on tracks with higher speed overtaking opportunities than Austin presented.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Well said. If we ignore the VER-NOR incident we can have plenty of positives after a tough weekend.

Car looked to get better, especially after losing first batch of fuel from the car. Both McLarens were first matching the top guys on new hards, then they were slightly slower but all was good. They were put in a good position in case of a SC or VSC and built up a tyre delta (both to fight them after pitstop and to have better tyres is SC brings them closer together). Overall pace, probably P2 car in the race. I do think Ferrari held some pace back, Leclerc wasn't sure why he was managing, I think it was probably because they wanted to keep track position in case of SC so he needs best tyres he can get.

On a tough weekend, Lando got P3 in sprint, pole and somewhat unlucky P4 in the race. I'll take it. WDC is not possible if VER doesn't have a DNF but with how he is fighting (against Sainz as well), who knows what happens.

Oscar had bad qualifying sessions but he was good in both the sprint and the race. In the race, he was very closely matching Norris on lap times throughout the race. Very good showing.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

BMMR61 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 02:19
Oscar came in for a lot of criticism and he was the first to admit the car setup was a struggle for him. Yet in only his second season he kept his team leader (he who must be favoured now) less than 5 seconds ahead, looked after his tyres and came home strongly to pick up valuable points. If you consider how good Sainz was this weekend it's something to say McLaren have the best driver pairing. I hope the rule makers take a close look at how divebombing is (a) legal, and (b) inconsistently judged. Forcing another car off the track should take precedence over almost every other rule, especially regarding overtaking, otherwise divebombing will become a complete defence for anything other than DRS overtakes. Hope everyone enjoyed their Monday morning.
This is what I don't get, they want better racing and more overtakes and yet they allow "driver ahead at apex" to force other driver off. Why not say you have to leave a space? If someone is alongside, no pushing him wide. Reason why drivers nowadays always defend the inside like their life depends on it is because of that rule. If you are on the inside, you can often time push people off.

Change the rules, we want them to stay side by side so no point in allowing defending driver to push people off legally.

Darth-Piekus

I am sick with a flu from Friday and I feel really spent in terms of energy regarding F1 since its already decided who should be WDC.