2024 United States Grand Prix - COTA, Oct 18-20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
JordanMugen

Re: 2024 United States Grand Prix - COTA, Oct 18-20

jknights wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:11
Greatness is not a measure of how much of a bully you are, but how much more competent you are in your skill!
Verstappen's racing style is really not significantly different to Senna or Schumacher.

Rivals are more than entitled to force the issue and accept the collision instead of conceding. It's not club racing, for better or worse, Verstappen doesn't care about damage (as an owner-driver like Jack Brabham might, especially in the less safe cars of that era) so why should rivals care about damage? :?:

Poleman wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:05
someone has to think twice or thrice before trying to ovetake him...
The rival can just accept the collision though?

Waz
Waz

Everyone forgetting that Max was the car ahead before the corner and Lando was the car attempting an overtake.

Ahead at the apex or not, a pass was completed off the track, and has been a penalty for decades. It used to be a Drive Through.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

I guess if theres one driver who deserves to experience Maxs style of driving, its Lando Norris. His biggest fan. He loves it, after all. Just not when hes on the receiving end.

I wonder if he'll be seen raving with Max after this season as he was in the aftermath of 2021.

chrstphrln

Waz wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 09:05
Everyone forgetting that Max was the car ahead before the corner and Lando was the car attempting an overtake.

Ahead at the apex or not, a pass was completed off the track, and has been a penalty for decades. It used to be a Drive Through.
But Max was only ahead at the apex because he braked far too late.
Lando would have got round the bend, but Max didn't.

The problem now is that every driver who is in danger of being overtaken brakes too late and drives his opponent off the track with him.
Just like Max did.
If you are overtaken, your opponent is penalised and you go unpunished.
So there will be no more overtaking manoeuvres like this in future.
The FIA now has to decide what it wants.
Does the FIA want both drivers to drive correctly and give each other space?
Then Max should also have received a 5-second penalty, because he drove Lando off the track.

In my opinion, the correct decision would have been to give Lando the 5 seconds for overtaking off the track and Max for forcing him off.

Vanja #66

dialtone wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 04:12
Now replace Verstappen with Sainz and Lando with Verstappen.
To be honest, Sainz did have the apex but he also went off (and pushed Max off too) in Lap 1, which would constitue overtaking off track and is not allowed. On the other hand, going into T1 Max had the apex vs Norris and was on the edge but didn't go off. He also had the apex in Lap 52, so it was aggrrssive but legal within current sporting regulations
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

purestpurist
purestpurist

GrizzleBoy wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 09:30
I guess if theres one driver who deserves to experience Maxs style of driving, its Lando Norris. His biggest fan. He loves it, after all. Just not when hes on the receiving end.

I wonder if he'll be seen raving with Max after this season as he was in the aftermath of 2021.
Imagine how angry you would be if Max and Lando were in a close title fight, Max did the same maneuver into a 280+ kmh corner, sent Lando to the hospital, only received a slap on the wrist, and raved like a madman.

I don't think the penalty was justified (at least not without also giving Max a penalty for forcing him wide), but you have to remember the other side feels just as much contempt for you as you do for them.

AMG.Tzan

I’ve written it a thousand times but no one wants to listen!

Verstapen did exactly the same move on Sainz at the exact same turn while Sainz was ahead at the apex! No penalties there though! Just because it’s lap 1 it doesn’t mean you can do whatever you like I guess…

I’ve said in the past and I’m gonna say it again! The FIA has been playing it blind against Max for years now since 2016! I don’t know what they’re trying to achieve? Keep him entertained so that he doesn’t retire and f1 loses his fans maybe? I don’t know really…

Moving under braking, going over pit exit lines, going over the grid starting box, pushing other drivers off the track while being miles behind them, leaving no one car’s width when racing wheel to wheel!

All these stuff have been penalized in the past and drivers have gotten penalties for way less! I don’t see this changing anytime soon! But! If one day the head of the FIA and the stewarding panel changes…don’t get shocked if Max starts receiving penalties race after race…

And then his classic “f1 is boring now, I’ll just retire” quote will start surfacing again…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

AMG.Tzan

purestpurist wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 09:44
GrizzleBoy wrote:

Imagine how angry you would be if Max and Lando were in a close title fight, Max did the same maneuver into a 280+ kmh corner, sent Lando to the hospital, only received a slap on the wrist, and raved like a madman.

I don't think the penalty was justified (at least not without also giving Max a penalty for forcing him wide), but you have to remember the other side feels just as much contempt for you as you do for them.
The only reason no other driver “ended up in the hospital” (he just went for the mandatory check meanwhile but Max fans will depict it as if he was hospitalized in a comma) while racing Max is because the rest of the drivers take something called “avoiding action” when being on the outside of Verstapen at least!

That glorious for f1 day Maxy boy didn’t want to take “avoiding action”! He wanted to play it tough around the outside of a Hamilton racing in his own backyard! So guess what! He got a pretty nice taste of his own medicine!

Hamilton’s penalty was way more than he deserved really! It was lap 1, no driver giving an inch…pretty simple racing accident! Max has been doing these “lap 1 - all in” maneuvers for years with no penalties whatsoever…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

RonMexico
RonMexico

Speaking of Hamilton. Was that his worst F1 weekend ever?

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

purestpurist wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:

Im talking about one specific driver being a hypocrite and bum boy and choosing when to be either based on whether wrong things are being done to him or someone else.

I dont care about anybody elses "side" lol, you can do that by yourself.

chrstphrln

AMG.Tzan wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 09:45
Moving under braking, ...
This!

That's something I've never understood.
I don't know how many times I've seen him do that in the past.
And he'll start doing it again when he's under pressure.
Because he's never been punished for this behaviour.

purestpurist
purestpurist

AMG.Tzan wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 09:52
purestpurist wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:

The only reason no other driver “ended up in the hospital” (he just went for the mandatory check meanwhile but Max fans will depict it as if he was hospitalized in a comma) while racing Max is because the rest of the drivers take something called “avoiding action” when being on the outside of Verstapen at least!

That glorious for f1 day Maxy boy didn’t want to take “avoiding action”! He wanted to play it tough around the outside of a Hamilton racing in his own backyard! So guess what! He got a pretty nice taste of his own medicine!

Hamilton’s penalty was way more than he deserved really! It was lap 1, no driver giving an inch…pretty simple racing accident! Max has been doing these “lap 1 - all in” maneuvers for years with no penalties whatsoever…
F1 drivers being hospitalized following an incident is extremely rare. Your double standard makes it impossible to take you seriously; at least I could admit the penalty today was bs.

That you think the fact it was his home GP ("in his own backyard") makes a difference is very telling. But I expect no better from the same provincials who celebrated Schumacher's injury in 1999.

RonMexico
RonMexico

Put Verstappen in the McLaren and he is already the world champion.

You could add Leclerc, Sainz, Hamilton and possibly Alonso to that list. Who else?

It has been a real surprise to see so many mistakes from Norris. He had the fastest car from Miami to Singapore yet hardly made a dent in Verstappen's lead

purestpurist
purestpurist

GrizzleBoy wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 09:59
purestpurist wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:

Im talking about one specific driver being a hypocrite and bum boy and choosing when to be either based on whether wrong things are being done to him or someone else.

My point was that you yourself are the hypocrite; I don't care about Max's hypocrisy because every F1 driver is a hypocrite in their own interest and they'd be idiots if they weren't.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

purestpurist wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 10:09
GrizzleBoy wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 09:59
purestpurist wrote:

My point was that you yourself are the hypocrite; I don't care about Max's hypocrisy because every F1 driver is a hypocrite in their own interest and they'd be idiots if they weren't.
Im not even talking about Max being the hypocrite. Youre just so desperate to turn what i said into fan wars with your "the other side hates you too" rhetoric because Maxs name was mentioned in a negative way.

Like I said, you can do that by yourself.