2024 United States Grand Prix - COTA, Oct 18-20

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
AMG.Tzan

Re: 2024 United States Grand Prix - COTA, Oct 18-20

epo wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 10:56
AMG.Tzan wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 09:45
I’ve written it a thousand times but no one wants to listen!

Verstapen did exactly the same move on Sainz at the exact same turn while Sainz was ahead at the apex! No penalties there though! Just because it’s lap 1 it doesn’t mean you can do whatever you like I guess…

I’ve said in the past and I’m gonna say it again! The FIA has been playing it blind against Max for years now since 2016! I don’t know what they’re trying to achieve? Keep him entertained so that he doesn’t retire and f1 loses his fans maybe? I don’t know really…

Moving under braking, going over pit exit lines, going over the grid starting box, pushing other drivers off the track while being miles behind them, leaving no one car’s width when racing wheel to wheel!

All these stuff have been penalized in the past and drivers have gotten penalties for way less! I don’t see this changing anytime soon! But! If one day the head of the FIA and the stewarding panel changes…don’t get shocked if Max starts receiving penalties race after race…

And then his classic “f1 is boring now, I’ll just retire” quote will start surfacing again…

Because it is always the same crap what you are writing, singing the same song.. Hamilton is great and Verstappen sucks.
I mean if it’s a fact what can I do mate…

Read again. Watch again. Then comment again. :wink:

Meanwhile Hamilton was never mentioned there! Don’t know what you’re mumbling about…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

PlatinumZealot

Everbody quiet! My time to talk! 8)

I agree with the ruling for Norris going off the track. It's yet another example of unpolished racecraft from Norris, not quite a champion driver yet. He's looks to be still on the learning curve. What he did, is a common move that Max used to do in the past, which is not trying to brake later than the defender to the Apex, only just sided by side and then running wide to overtake on the outside of the track. I was never phased by the ruling because it was a slam dunk.

You literally cannot attack Max from the outside of a curve entry. It will fall. He's knows all too well to let his car run "off the brakes" to crowd your apex and run you off the road. You have to attack him from inside or even better yet on the straight.

I'm just ever more convinced now that Lando is the quickest driver but not that great at wheel to wheel.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

basti313
basti313

venkyhere wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 12:12
pages and pages of discussion about stewarding, and I'm not sure whether I remember seeing a very simple take on this :

it might (please note I don't know for sure) be the 'theme' for stewarding that -
No, it is that simple: They are 100% ruling by the apex. What you do before, simply does not matter. What you do after the apex, in case you are ahead...also does not matter. That is the only "theme" we are struggling with, but actually it is 100% objective and clear.
This discussion we may have had with Magnussen in Miami, he posted plenty of examples.

As said before...I do not like it, but it is the objectivity that many here and in the F1 circus requested. It is slapstick, that Toto, who was behind all this nonsense, is now saying the application of the objective rule is unfair...
Don`t russel the hamster!

Watto
Watto

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 13:49
Everbody quiet! My time to talk! 8)

I agree with the ruling for Norris going off the track. It's yet another example of unpolished racecraft from Norris, not quite a champion driver yet. He's looks to be still on the learning curve. What he did, is a common move that Max used to do in the past, which is not trying to brake later than the defender to the Apex, only just sided by side and then running wide to overtake on the outside of the track. I was never phased by the ruling because it was a slam dunk.

You literally cannot attack Max from the outside of a curve entry. It will fall. He's know
s all too well to let his car run "off the brakes" to crowd your apex and run you off the road. You have to attack him from inside or even better yet on the straight.

I'm just ever more convinced now that Lando is the quickest driver but not that great at wheel to wheel.
I actually think this is pretty spot on.

I think Lando has improved his racecraft this year quite a bit. But this is an example too where I think everything he did Max knew it was coming and how to defend it - people are focusing on this one incident - fair enough too but Maxs car placement lap after lap was very good. I think these days his reputation of he will take his opponent out if he can't win isn't that fair. He is super agressive. There didn't ever really seem like anytime Lando did something agressive or somthing to catch Max by surprise.

The first corner incident too Lando left the door open for it after a better start. Yeah Max used the rules to his advantage knowing its almost always a first lap incident. We saw the Lando to the same with Piastri a few weeks ago- you can argue Lando probably didn't think his team mate would do it. But, I also don't think there is a chance in hell Max would let any team mate to that to him either. Probably why RBR have burnt though a few since Riccardo.'

I think this too might be a difference beween Lando and Oscar. I think Lando has Oscar on raw pace. But I think maybe Oscar has better race craft/wheel to wheel driving.

bananapeel23

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 13:49
I strongly disagree. Leclerc or Verstappen would cruise to the title in that car. Alonso or Hamilton would probably be able to win it too, but more so due to their racecraft than outright speed.

Verstappen is absolutely superhuman. He's getting 101% out of that car. He's like prime Alonso but slightly faster.

Leclerc is just freakishly fast and has been absolutely stellar this season. His only real mistake all season was losing P1 to Piastri in Baku. His tyre management and race pace has been out of this world compared to Sainz. He has managed some crazy defensive drives as well.

Norris is easily fast enough to win the title. No question. His race pace is great; Probably 99.9% of Leclerc, Hamilton or Verstappen. He just struggles with racecraft and Verstappen is clearly getting into his head and is winning the mental game. McLaren surely aren't helping either with their awful strategy choices.

Out of the top drivers I think Verstappen is probably still the best currently, but Leclerc is probably the outright fastest. Norris is probably 3rd, but he has definitely improved a lot this season and his qualifying is particularly impressive. No one is beating Leclerc in terms of outright quali pace though.

Realistically though Verstappen should not win this title, Norris should.

basti313
basti313

bananapeel23 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 14:38
Verstappen is absolutely superhuman. He's getting 101% out of that car. He's like prime Alonso but slightly faster.
Really? I had the feeling, that he was more "sluggish" this season so far. Especially Hungary, this was not pure strategy, but also unconcentrated by Max. Or the Monza Q...
I would maybe put a 99% on him, not 101...
bananapeel23 wrote:
Leclerc is just freakishly fast and has been absolutely stellar this season. His only real mistake all season was losing P1 to Piastri in Baku. His tyre management and race pace has been out of this world compared to Sainz. He has managed some crazy defensive drives as well.
Really? How do you explain, that Leclerc was slower than Sainz in the first races until Sainz bottled China?
Or Canada, or Stone?

I think this is the biggest pity of the season. With a clean season, Leclerc would have more points than Lando now. That would make it interesting :mrgreen:
Now Max just concentrates on Lando...with Leclerc at same points, wheel to wheel racing would be even more spicy :twisted:
bananapeel23 wrote:
Norris is easily fast enough to win the title. No question. His race pace is great; Probably 99.9% of Leclerc, Hamilton or Verstappen. He just struggles with racecraft and Verstappen is clearly getting into his head and is winning the mental game. McLaren surely aren't helping either with their awful strategy choices.
My problem in this is, that you seem to have a different definition of "race pace". The striking point in race pace for me is amongst others how you start. And how many times he went now from P1 to P4 at the start?
Regarding Verstappen in his head: Well...he screwed up big mostly when Verstappen was not even around. In Saudi, he saw Verstappen maybe at the start, but never again in the race, so far he was behind. Other way round in Spa...there May was 6? places behind? In Monaco he might have seen him, but only because Leclerc was doing harbor sightseeing.

In sum...whoever is faster does not matter. If they would not have just thrown away so many points we would have a magical season final. Now after this GP...sorry...case closed.
Don`t russel the hamster!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Norris error on lap 31:

A lion must kill its prey.

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:Norris error on lap 31:

Those tires were done. 31 laps on medium is nuts, they took a chance in hanging out longer, too bad he didn’t start attacking till last 5 laps, he’ll learn to use the tire delta to his advantage by hammering the car in front.

napoleon1981
napoleon1981

AMG.Tzan wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 06:49
napoleon1981 wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 23:25
AMG.Tzan wrote:
20 Oct 2024, 22:44

The pure talent has gone 9 races winless in car fast enough to win and can only stay ahead by doing dodgy maneuvers and pushing everyone off the track! Wow what a proud moment to be a Verstapen fan…

If that was the 2008 FIA-Hamilton relationship…Verstapen would have been banned for life! :lol:

Better than qualifying a car good enough to win races this year at p19, then beaching it like a beginner. Infinitely better.
Not gonna start a results conversation about Hamilton now!

Go ahead and watch 2008, 2017 and 2018 if you wanna see what’s it’s like having a 2-3rd fastest car and still winning :wink:
You arent going to start..... oh wait you just did.

AMG.Tzan

Where did Ferrari’s pace suddenly come from? Dialing up their last updates or just less practice time ended up getting them ahead? Quite good pace…had it not been for Sainz’s antics in the sprint Leclerc would have probably attacked Max by the end of the sprint too!

As for the Lando vs Max fight the fact is that Lando simply can’t properly attack him! He always chooses the outside for some reason although there were instances where he could have used the inside and make an attack! Yet he didn’t! In any case even if he had finished ahead nothing would have changed championship wise! What Lando has been doing since Miami just isn’t enough to catch and beat Max…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

falonso81

AMG.Tzan wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 17:29
Where did Ferrari’s pace suddenly come from?
Monza upgrade. They were strong in Baku and Singapore also, but things did not work out.

TFSA

So we had a long discussion about this incident as well in Discord after the race. I woke up late and only caught the last few laps of the race, so i didn't see the earlier episodes, and i still haven't had time to watch the full race. So i will solely focus on the Lando/Max debacle on Lap 52.

My ultimate determination is that neither driver should have gotten a penalty. I also believe the stewards erred, although not in the way that people think.

Who's the defending and attacking driver?
The problem to me is that, in the run-up to the corner, Norris managed to get fully ahead of Verstappen - that is, his rear axle was ahead of Verstappens front axle.

This, to me, constitutes a succesful overtake. And as such, i believe that Norris should now be considered the defending driver and Verstappen the attacking driver going into the corner.

Now the stewards document makes it pretty clear that they still consider Norris the attacking driver, which i heavily disagree with. But from that perspective, Norris taking a penalty for overtaking off track makes sense.

But let's run with my take for a minute, and ask the next question...

Did Verstappen force Norris off the track?
If we run with my take, and place Verstappen as the attacking driver, and Norris as the defending driver, did Verstappen force Norris off the track?

Watching Norris onboard, i don't believe that's the case. Verstappen braked late, but so did Norris. And while they did go well side-by-side into the corner, looking at both the speed Norris carried into the corner, and his steering angle, i don't believe he could turn any harder than he did. His steering wheel was almost as far left as it could go, and any further left, he would likely understeer. The fact that he was able to accelerate past Verstappen so easily afterwards, also speaks to the speed he carried into the corner.

As such, Norris wasn't forced off the track - he went off on his own. Even if Verstappen had magically disappeared, Norris was still not gonna make that corner within track limits. At least that's my determination.

So by that standard, Verstappen did not push Norris off. But Verstappen, considered the attacking driver in my view, still overtook off track on the inside (highly unusual) - and Norris then regained the position. Had Norris not regained the position, i believe Verstappen should have been the one to be investigated for overtaking off track.

As such, neither driver gained an advantage they shouldn't have, and stewards should have ruled no further action, which eventually would have put Norris P3 and Verstappen P4.

Rewriting the rules:
In the discord, we talked a lot about that the rules need to be rewritten. I agree, but again, not in the way people think.

While most people in the Discord argued that the apex thing doesn't make sense - the most important thing i believe we need to add to the overtaking guidelines is that they need to specify when an overtake can be considered completed, so it's easier to determine which driver can be considered attacking or defending.

To me, there's two basic requirements for an overtake to be considered completed:
  • The attacking driver gets his rear axle ahead of the defending drivers front axle (he's fully ahead).
  • The attacking driver is ahead of the defending driver after both cars have exited a corner safely.
...if the attacking driver can satisfy either of the two above requirements without contact, then the roles swap, and he's now considered the defending driver.

Beyond that, the guidelines need to more accurately specify which responsibilities go to either the attacker or defender in an overtaking attempt. Some areas of the guidelines are rather vague on that.

chrisc90

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 11:08
chrisc90 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 11:03
Surely there’s a better image to give some actual context to that discussion? That pic shows nothing, not even the corner apex
Feel free to find one. It's literally the apex view. The point is moot, Sainz left the track trying to overtake and would have been penalised if he didn't return the position even if it was Lap 1 incident. My point is that it's not the same situstion as Lap 52 incident
The apex view, from the livestream gives a different perspective to the onboard. On Sainz onboard, he never looks ahead of Max.

temporary image hosting

Sainz had no rights to the corner IMHO. And tbh, should have got a 10s penalty for forcing a car off track. Same as Russell did.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

falonso81 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 18:20
AMG.Tzan wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 17:29
Where did Ferrari’s pace suddenly come from?
Monza upgrade. They were strong in Baku and Singapore also, but things did not work out.
They also introduced a new, more bendy front wing in Singapore to help them run higher front downforce, an issue they'd had most of the year. A track like Austin was gonna be where such a wing would really have an impact if it was gonna have one.

dialtone
dialtone

chrisc90 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 18:41
Clearly ahead in this image, and clearly ahead in the other image from Vanja, which is the better image to determine who's ahead at the apex.

Missed penalty for Max for having passed off track.