2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
LM10
LM10

Re: 2024 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 19:55
LM10 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 18:28
I can’t remember when was the last time Ferrari finished the season with one of the fastest if not the fastest car of all.
Both 2017 and 2018 the car was competitive until the end, even 2010. At the moment, this kind of finish seems certain. 2008-level competitivness needs to be proven still
True, 2017 and 2018 were pretty good seasons too (still a very big fan of the SF70H, as a side note… what a beast that was :) ). However, there still was something missing compared to now. The team has not felt so complete in ages. Not only the car, but all the other parts of the team are functioning - upgrades work, strategies make sense, drivers make much less mistakes, Leclerc’s finally gotten a race engineer who knows what to do other than saying “copy” and “we’re checking”, the working environment seems to be nice, the mindset is the right one etc. The team is slowly tuning into a well oiled machine.

ScuderiaLeo

LM10 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 22:25
True, 2017 and 2018 were pretty good seasons too (still a very big fan of the SF70H, as a side note… what a beast that was :) ). However, there still was something missing compared to now. The team has not felt so complete in ages. Not only the car, but all the other parts of the team are functioning - upgrades work, strategies make sense, drivers make much less mistakes, Leclerc’s finally gotten a race engineer who knows what to do other than saying “copy” and “we’re checking”, the working environment seems to be nice, the mindset is the right one etc. The team is slowly tuning into a well oiled machine.
I am very appreciative of Bozzi (Leclerc's race engineer) nowadays... I never had a large issue with Xavi but now that we have Bryan, I realize Leclerc was settling for second best for way too long. :lol:

Yes, there are still communication issues sometimes and Bozzi hasn't been perfect, but him and Leclerc get along well and Leclerc is more casual with him than he was with Xavi. Leclerc also gets frustrated quite easily (as many F1 drivers do) but he seems to respond well to Bozzi's encouraging comments and reassurance. Xavi would often just let him rage which was not always productive.

It really does feel like we're undergoing a butterfly transformation with Ferrari right now. =D> I hope people remember this happiness and optimism when a bad race inevitably happens, and don't immediately rush to bashing the team.

ing.

yooogurt wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 17:40
“You have to be creative,” Vasseur says when asked about the subject. Vasseur replies when asked about the subject. The implied answer makes it seem that in Maranello has been working on suspension springs and dampers, which are necessary to stabilize the surface at a constant height from the ground and positions for a better compromise between mechanical grip and aerodynamic load. This area is already the subject of several interventions by teams during the season. “It's not that if we don't declare something, we don't bring anything new “, reiterates the team manager. “What we do announce are just changes to the external forms”.

https://www.formulapassion.it/f1/f1-new ... ti-vasseur
Following the great performance from the car and the team last weekend, it’s fun to remember how the so-called (internet) experts had conclusively determined that the lack of performance last year and beginning of this year was down to the car missing either RBR’s anti-dive front suspension geometry—even if, ironically, they use little ant anti-dive effect—or pullrod/pushrod FR/RR suspension, or that the suspensions were ‘overloaded’ due to the lack of FR/RR pull/push arrangement. I’m also probably missing some of the other perceived magic bullets the reds were lacking.

It would seem that ultimately it was a lot of work to refine the aero, the spring/damper rates and the analytical tools used—absent the possibility of testing in WT or other—to predict the dynamic behaviour of the car and tune out or better control the undesirable characteristics, including the bouncing, that was the real solution and the results we witnessed as proof of the effectiveness of this work.

deadhead

Vanja #66 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 21:04
deadhead wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 20:20
You know things!
Leclerc didn't send it though :mrgreen: he switched back to racing line before the apex after seeing Verstappen line up to get Norris on the inside. Sainz got stuck from P3, just like Leclerc did in Sprint.
Right yes he went with the more... elegant approach

https://x.com/leclercsletters/status/18 ... 0449978382

Vanja #66

CjC wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 22:12
Ferrari brought one hell of an aerodynamic upgrade to Monza which I would suggest came early- before anyone else brought something as significant, take Mercedes for example who brought an equivalent Monza size of upgrade to Austin. Also after the race Leclerc mentioned the Singapore upgrade moved Ferrari forward.
My point being Ferrari have brought a lot over the past few races and you suggest they are bringing more? As I’m not a Ferrari fan I’m not following their upgrade plan at all really so I’m just wondering what you have heard?
Monza package performance step was 95% new floor and the rest are smaller details, like rear sidepod geometry changes. Mirror stay, nose camera etc, those are tweaks more than upgrades tbh. Singapore front wing seems to be a complementary step to Monza floor. If Ferrari do make further bodywork changes in these last 5 races it will be minor details, tiny chance of something like a diffuser geometry tweak etc.

We are all surprised there was nothing new in Austin in terms of bodywork, as it was announced by Vasseur himself. Just before the weekend, there were info from several Italian media of delayed parts which will be introduced in Mexico instead but this wasn't commented on officially. The explanation was team leaving their introduction to a normal weekend and a decision to focus on Austin setup instead. Arguably, it worked perfectly... So the reality might be some novelties "under the bonnet" introduced in Austin and final bodywork update in Mexico.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

yooogurt

Formula uno confirms Nugnes:

The new front wing was originally due to debut in Austin, but it made its appearance in Singapore . “Basic” version of the wing, which was further developed in Texas with the flexibility of composite materials . An unannounced upgrade, since the aerodynamic shapes of the wing remained the same, but which provided an important aid in terms of efficiency at high speed, which is where the SF-24 was unexpectedly the best machine.

In addition, there is another interesting backstory : the anticipation of the new specification allowed Ferrari to carry out optimization work during the Pirelli tests held at Mugello before Austin, with numerous overlaps between the two specifications. The new “more flexible” front anti-wing made a significant contribution, according to a source very close to the Maranello team, and was immediately approved by Sainz, while Leclerc needed more time to adapt to the new balance at high speed, but the settings between the sprint and the race changed.

So the SF-24, at least in Austin, made an important step forward in the high-speed corners without losing its weaknesses, confirmed in the slower sections.
https://formu1a.uno/it/sviluppi-ferrari ... lla-sf-24/
FORZA FERRARI!

Vanja #66

yooogurt wrote:
22 Oct 2024, 11:36
In addition, there is another interesting backstory : the anticipation of the new specification allowed Ferrari to carry out optimization work during the Pirelli tests held at Mugello before Austin, with numerous overlaps between the two specifications. The new “more flexible” front anti-wing made a significant contribution, according to a source very close to the Maranello team
Making comparative setup tests in Monza was very important last year and there wasn't anything more they could do at the time. If they really did make comparative test with different flexible wings in Mugello now it would be the first time in a (way too) long time Ferrari exploits the rules to the absolute limit
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

search

ScuderiaLeo wrote:
18 Oct 2024, 21:56
Leclerc had some troubles in S1 near the end of the session. I wonder if they changed something? I couldn't hear his radios.

Confirmed: Bearman will do Mexico FP1 as expected.

is it known already who he is going to replace? I thought Sainz had skipped one already, but he was still in the car on Friday in Jeddah, so it probably doesn't count.

CjC
CjC

yooogurt wrote:
22 Oct 2024, 11:36
Formula uno confirms Nugnes:

The new front wing was originally due to debut in Austin, but it made its appearance in Singapore . “Basic” version of the wing, which was further developed in Texas with the flexibility of composite materials . An unannounced upgrade, since the aerodynamic shapes of the wing remained the same, but which provided an important aid in terms of efficiency at high speed, which is where the SF-24 was unexpectedly the best machine.

In addition, there is another interesting backstory : the anticipation of the new specification allowed Ferrari to carry out optimization work during the Pirelli tests held at Mugello before Austin, with numerous overlaps between the two specifications. The new “more flexible” front anti-wing made a significant contribution, according to a source very close to the Maranello team, and was immediately approved by Sainz, while Leclerc needed more time to adapt to the new balance at high speed, but the settings between the sprint and the race changed.

So the SF-24, at least in Austin, made an important step forward in the high-speed corners without losing its weaknesses, confirmed in the slower sections.
https://formu1a.uno/it/sviluppi-ferrari ... lla-sf-24/
Thanks. Effectively confirming what I thought. Ferrari have significantly updated their car recently more so than the others and basically pushed themselves to the front, which is good work by them.
What I feel is a misconception is that Mclaren and Red Bull have upgraded just as much as they haven’t.
Just a fan's point of view

bananapeel23

LM10 wrote:
21 Oct 2024, 22:25
Ferrari is so good currently that they may legitimately be the best team on the grid operationally. I can't recall a single terrible pit stop all season. I can't remember many bone-headed strategy calls. Ferrari just seems so solid currently. 2023 was a huge improvement over 2022 and 2024 is a huge improvement over 2023. Vasseur has really made some great changes.

I think Ferrari should just always be led by French team principals.

yooogurt

CjC wrote:
22 Oct 2024, 13:53
Thanks. Effectively confirming what I thought. Ferrari have significantly updated their car recently more so than the others and basically pushed themselves to the front, which is good work by them.
What I feel is a misconception is that Mclaren and Red Bull have upgraded just as much as they haven’t.
According to the idea, Ferrari made the Barcelona package work, because before Monza, the team said that the upgdates are not about adding pace, but to make the car comfortable to drive, to beat bouncing, to fixing high speed corners, etc. The pace was supposed to be about the same that they wanted to get in Barcelona.
It turns out that this season, at the moment, only 2 of the 4 top teams were able to significantly upgdate the cars, Ferrari in Imola and Barcelona/Imola fix, and Mclaren in Miami. That's pretty weird in the third year of regulation.
FORZA FERRARI!

Fakepivot
Fakepivot

I thought they mostly fixed bouncing before Monza, like I didn't notice anything in Zandvoort or spa or even hungry, race pace there was pretty good not as bad as Austria or Silverstone