F1 engine RPM

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: F1 engine RPM

riff_raff wrote:xpensive,

Recip mass inertia forces are a function of instantaneous accelerations, not velocities. F=Ma right?

Terry
I think you mentioned this fact the other day Terry, but thanks anyway. In that context, accelleration is actually max-piston-speed over time-to-zero.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

riff_raff
riff_raff

xpensive,

In mathematical terms I believe it's dv/dt. No?
"Q: How do you make a small fortune in racing?
A: Start with a large one!"

xpensive
xpensive

Quite obviously so. But simplified, max piston speed is a pretty good place to start in order to estimate accelleration,
when speed always have to come to zero twice per revolution.

F1_eng
F1_eng

Xpensive, piston acceleration is not linear.

Terry[/quote]

"In that context, accelleration is actually max-piston-speed over time-to-zero."

You simply can't use this method for calculating, it is too wide a time gap to average, you are going to lose all the acceleration detail.
The "time to zero" method is heavily flawed and results obtained from it would almost always be misleading.

Build a piston displacement model, can be done in 5 minutes in excel.

xpensive
xpensive

F1_eng wrote:Xpensive, piston acceleration is not linear.

Terry
"In that context, accelleration is actually max-piston-speed over time-to-zero."

You simply can't use this method for calculating, it is too wide a time gap to average, you are going to lose all the acceleration detail.
The "time to zero" method is heavily flawed and results obtained from it would almost always be misleading.

Build a piston displacement model, can be done in 5 minutes in excel.[/quote]

Oboy! If you could please spare us five minutes of you precious time, it would be to immense benefit to all of us? :shock:

xpensive
xpensive

Something wrong with the quoting here, sorry about that. However, for F1_Eng;

Oboy! If you could please spare us five minutes of you precious time, it would be to immense benefit to all of us?

bazanaius
bazanaius

well your piston speed is going to vary sinusoidally right? So your acceleration will too... so if you know the engine rpm and various measurements you can work out your A and your w from your Asinwt... differentiate and set to zero to get your maximum...
Don't even need excel.

B

xpensive
xpensive

bazanaius wrote:well your piston speed is going to vary sinusoidally right? So your acceleration will too... so if you know the engine rpm and various measurements you can work out your A and your w from your Asinwt... differentiate and set to zero to get your maximum...
Don't even need excel.

B
So why don't you enlighten us with a lazy-dog formula on this :)

xxChrisxx
xxChrisxx

bazanaius wrote:well your piston speed is going to vary sinusoidally right? So your acceleration will too... so if you know the engine rpm and various measurements you can work out your A and your w from your Asinwt... differentiate and set to zero to get your maximum...
Don't even need excel.

B
That would be true if it acutally were sinusoidal, but it isn't. Unless you have an infinitely long conrod... Depending on accuracy needed this may or may not be an issue.

A numerical model is easy to set up in excel or matlab.

EDIT: I fail at uploading formula, so here is a pic.

A as a function of crankshaft rotation.
Where Z = R(crank radius) / L (conrod length)

xpensive
xpensive

Xcellent, a scolar at last! Thanks Chris4x! If phi is zero at TDC, that should also be the maximum a, or what?

xxChrisxx
xxChrisxx

xpensive wrote:Xcellent, a scolar at last! Thanks Chris4x! If phi is zero at TDC, that should also be the maximum a, or what?
Yeah max force will be at TDC, this will act in the opposite direction to the gas pressure force.

You'll get maximums at TDC and BDC, depending on the length of the conrod these will alter. I think with longer rods the TDC value is higher due to less 'dwell time'.

bazanaius
bazanaius

Fair shout - I perhaps simplified the geometry a little :-)

malbeare
malbeare

i think that a short rod will produce a rapid change in direction at TDC and a pronounced dwell at BDC. as the conrod lengthens the the effects tend to even out until you get equel sinosoidal effect with an infinite long rod.
A tidy mind is not intelligent as it ignors the random opportunities of total chaos. Thats my excuse anyway
Malbeare

xxChrisxx
xxChrisxx

malbeare wrote:i think that a short rod will produce a rapid change in direction at TDC and a pronounced dwell at BDC. as the conrod lengthens the the effects tend to even out until you get equel sinosoidal effect with an infinite long rod.

Spot on bud.. I think. I'm a bit drunkk now (aplogies but is it friday night :D) so i'll ckech in the morn.
As Z tends to zero, ie as conrod tends to infinite the motions becomes sinusolda. PIC!

EDIT: I've just noticed that the labels on that graph are the wrong way round. The 1/Z = 6 is the blue line. The 1/Z= 4.5 is the red.
Last edited by xxChrisxx on 10 Oct 2009, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

xpensive
xpensive

Teriffic Chris4x! Numericals for that curve please?