Race in U.S.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Giblet
Giblet

Re: Race in U.S.

Ted68 wrote:Well if there isn't to be another F1 race at Indy (pleeeze no!), upgrading Virginia International Raceway (VIR) near Washington, D.C. would be a great way to go.

What about adding a night race--I kinda dig that idea--around the streets of Vancouver, B.C as a North American GP in addition to the USGP and Canadian GPs. It's a great city and it's on the water, just like Monaco or Valencia. Even the bad part of town is cleaner than the Wilshire District in L.A.

And while we are on the subject of adding races, why not take care of our Latin American friends and bring back the Mexico City race? It's a great track! As Mexico is trying to position themselves as an automobile producing giant, it's a good bet that the government would back such a notion. Also, Mexico City is a pretty happenin' place these days.

There you go, three new races and not a Tilke in sight!

Vancouver would be awesome, considering I live here, but it won't happen. Why? We had an Indy (CART) race here. It left before CART folded, for the simple reason of noise.

People with track side condos don't want 3 days of noise. About of half of the condos were built AFTER the race was here. Vancouver yuppies really are some of the smarmiest and anal pluggers you'll ever meet. After Greg Moore was tragically killed (BC boy) the city kind of went stagnant with racing. Police also think that there are more accidents and speeders right after the race.

Well duh, of course, the street was still rubbered in :)

Bastards. They are at turn 10.

Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Miguel
Miguel

jon-mullen wrote:Saturday night would be a great choice if there's no Sprint Cup race or endurance race here. They could even put it on one of the broadcast networks, they're only ever showing bad movies or basketball on Saturday nights.

It would be at a great time for the Asians and Indians and Bernie cares more about them than he does the US anyway. And if it's 2000 - 2200 in Cleveland that's 0000 - 0200 in London, which is an EXCELLENT excuse to go to the sports bar. It's also the same time the Australian GP usually shows over here. 2000 - 2200 in Vegas is 0300 - 0500 is London and OK, that sucks but need I remind anyone we get up at 6 or 7 Sunday mornings for most of the calendar?
Sorry for the correction, but 20:00 to 22:00 ET is 1:00 to 3:00 GMT or 2:00 to 4:00 CET (official time of Spain, France, Italy and Germany, amongst others). That is pretty late for non-partying spaniards and probably damn late for everybody else.

However, I wholeheartedly agree that one race at that time would work wonders for both US and east Asia broadcasting. On the other hand, didn't the far east races (Japan, China, Malaysa and Australia) take place at reasonable US times until Bernie decided to please his "pet market" and delayed the races? I'm of the opinion that races should start at 14:00 local time (13:00 for the UK). If the rest of the world suffers, so be it. It isn't like the Football World Cup or the Olympics get a bad share on the other side of the world.
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

jon-mullen

Miguel wrote:Sorry for the correction, but 20:00 to 22:00 ET is 1:00 to 3:00 GMT or 2:00 to 4:00 CET (official time of Spain, France, Italy and Germany, amongst others). That is pretty late for non-partying spaniards and probably damn late for everybody else.
Ah damn daylight savings time got me again. You're right. And yeah, that pretty much sucks. Still, for one GP it's not a disaster. Like running 2 cars and 4 backmarkers.
Loud idiot in red since 2010
United States Grand Prix Club, because there's more to racing than NASCAR

Houser

http://usf1blog.com/grand-prix/united-s ... rand-prix/

One step closer to an American grand prix!

You think the Korean Grand Prix will be ousted and replaced by a US Grand Prix?

I definitely hope so...
-Houser

"If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself."
-Ferdinand Porsche

Beewill
Beewill

Interesting article from the local business journal.

http://www.ibj.com/article?articleId=18684
"Time is a waste of life, life is a waste of time. So, lets get wasted all of the time and have the time of our lives" George Carlin

sticky667
sticky667

these are the alexa ratings showing quite a different picture of the site usage by country.

WhiteBlue

sticky667 wrote:these are the alexa ratings showing quite a different picture of the site usage by country.

I do not see what this has to do with the Indy discussion, but the statistic is interesting for us forumers for other reasons. This is why I made a screen shot and re posted it.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Giblet
Giblet

~300,000,000 people in America.

~61,000,000 in the UK.

the UK has far more visitors when population is taken into account. Almost ~4x.

I think a smart middle eastern oil baron should fund a track here, in the vain of Abu Dhabi. Immense, and on American soil. Call it an investment.
Last edited by Giblet on 16 Mar 2010, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Pup
Pup

Shocker: English language web site most popular in US and UK.

News at 11.

_GOGGS_

For those of you that haven't seen an F1 race at Indy, it's quite the venue. 2005 really did a number though on the American fan base. It's true that for the Indy 500 and Brickyard 400 there are far more people attending, but the venue itself really does lend itself to the fans. Some of the main (oval) grandstand seats are not the greatest as some of the action is a little far, but the infield sections offer some great views. The US has many circuits that would be great to host an F1 race, perhaps even Watkins Glen or Laguna Seca, but I enjoyed Indy. I think it's a shame there is no US GP.

I don't mean to pi55 in anyone's cornflakes, but personally I can do without some of the newer tracks. I much rather see Brands Hatch and Silverstone in the UK and Imola added back to the schedule as well as both Rings in Germany. So what if there are two races in the same country? I rather that than empty granstands in places that don't care about the sport. No offense to Tilke either but his designs are rather sterile. You just don't have tracks like SPA or Monza or Suzuka being designed anymore. I love Monaco but it outlived it's usefulness for real racing many decades ago. Today's cars are far too fast for such a tight street circuit.

But like all else, money talks.
_GOGGS_
-Forza Ferrari-
http://www.ferrarif1forum.com

WhiteBlue

The USGP solution is most likely to work along the established compromise line of the last eight months. The teams will get the races they want if they agree to more races. For 2011 we already have 20 races agreed and Indianapolis will only get on board if the teams agree to 21 races. By running it back to back with Canada and as an additional race Bernie will be able to accept a lower race fee, probably with a profit share if the business goes better than expected.

Indy isn't quite the venue Bernie has in mind for his circus though as there are no hotels and no infrastructure of a metropolis or established tourist attraction. After the shenanigans of the past there will hardly be more than 80.000 bums on seats come race day but if all parties compromise the deal could be done.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

sticky667
sticky667

reading > me.. didn't realize there were 4 pages. :oops:

Germanengineering

Racing through the streets of Manhattan.
People don't understand that it was maybe my biggest pleasure to drive an F1 car when it's wet. - Alain Prost

axle
axle

Seeing as this is a live topic...

http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/03/ ... from-here/

Last Paragraph
The Pacific North West might offer some kind of potential particularly as IndyCar has turned its back on Portland International Raceway. At under two miles this is really too short for F1 and has a crowd capacity of only 86,000, but there is room for expansion in the infield and it has the advantages of being a long established race, a well-located circuit and it even has a light rail station and freeway access next to the venue. The parkland setting means that it has the potential to develop in much the same way as Albert Park. The Portland metropolitan area boasts a population of two million and there is easy access to the cities of Seattle and Vancouver, just across the border in Canada. Portland is also known as a technology town, with the biggest employer being Intel and something like 1200 technology firms clustered there. In many ways, with enlightened government, Portland is perfect for Formula 1.
- Axle