Hispania F110

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
djones
djones

Re: Campos-Dallara Cosworth, aka Hispania Racing

It was probably more a case of time than money.

WimmelF1
WimmelF1

manchild wrote:Welcome!

Steel wishbones and brake discs?! :shock:

How come they can afford rest of the car but not those parts? Unbelievable. I mean, judging by that, if they had CF suspension and brakes, they'd be midfield at least!
I wished everybody had steel brakes! Would make it much more interesting.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

djones wrote:It was probably more a case of time than money.
What i was thinking.

Im expecting that Dallara will have Carbon suspension and Brembo or AP calipers with Brembo or Carbone Industrie discs on their car for Barcelona. This way they will save up to 40 kilos per car and have a instant performance gain of up to 6 seconds on its current pace.

This car will improve fast, maybes with up to a 8 second gain over the season. The only thing is that will just bring them to within 2 seconds of Virgin and Lotus by the end of the season by my guestimation.

Confused_Andy
Confused_Andy

I'm sure they could get carbon brakes easily, just approach a manufacture and offer to put their logo on the car, free advertising, free brakes...

Sounds extraordinary to think they're using steal brakes!

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Maybes theres the fact they want to get a solid baseline for the braking system on their data logs before moving to the carbon fiber ones. Maybes they could source the steel brakes better than a carbon brake system, but its something thats gonna change on that car, making the car instantly 2-3 secoinds faster alone.
Last edited by ESPImperium on 12 Mar 2010, 22:12, edited 2 times in total.

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Don't Dallara build the IRL cars? Which runs on carbon brakes on oval....

Does seem weird....I can see for the suspension arms and stuff since F1 is pretty much the only 2 series that I can think of uses composite suspension members(the other being FSAE...lol), but carbon brakes should be a more or less plug and play part by now?

Ciro Pabón

Confused_Andy wrote:... Sounds extraordinary to think they're using steal brakes!
ESPImperium wrote:Maybes theres the factt they want to get a solid baseline for the barking system...
No wonder they have had problems if they're using a "steal barking system" instead of using brakes as God intended... ;)
Ciro

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

Ciro Pabón wrote:
Confused_Andy wrote:... Sounds extraordinary to think they're using steal brakes!
ESPImperium wrote:Maybes theres the factt they want to get a solid baseline for the barking system...
No wonder they have had problems if they're using a "steal barking system" instead of using brakes as God intended... ;)
Fixed, i have been up since 4 AM UK time for work, so am pretty tired at current.

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

It's clear that HRT should be using all three practice sessions to the full extent (as many laps as possible!) and then do the minimum to satisfy their contract with Bernie (do one lap in quali). There is no point in them attempting to race. Dangerous and embarrasing.
They'd be better to keep out of the media glare in FP seesions until they can get a car that at least has 21st century brakes.
It would be a shame to see them lining up at the back on Sunday only to look like chumps.
Great to see them there and running though. Mission accomplished for Mr Kolles.

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

monkeyboy1976 wrote:It's clear that HRT should be using all three practice sessions to the full extent and then do the minimum to satisfy their contract with Bernie (do one lap in quali). There is no point in them attempting to race. Dangerous and embarrasing.
They'd be better to keep out of the media glare in FP seesions until they can get a car that at least has 21st century brakes.
It would be a shame to see them lining up at the back on Sunday only to look like chumps.
Great to see them there and running though. Mission accomplished for Mr Kolles.
Personally i can see them both doing 15 laps in FP3, qualifying with 6-8 laps under their belt and then doing 20 laps in the race before retiring. The cars have only just been/have finished off getting built.

Id expect more running from them in Aus, shorter track for more running.

Giblet
Giblet

Thats interesting, them braking up the wrong tree like that.

There was a post here last year about steel vs carbon brakes, and the difference was far smaller than I expected. I wrongly assumed that CF was head and shoulders above in performance.

Maybe the steel arms are to be able to use the ramming speed technique in corners.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

monkeyboy1976
monkeyboy1976

ESPImperium wrote:
Personally i can see them both doing 15 laps in FP3, qualifying with 6-8 laps under their belt and then doing 20 laps in the race before retiring. The cars have only just been/have finished off getting built.

Id expect more running from them in Aus, shorter track for more running.
They would be mad to enter quali or the race. They would gain no useful data and just piss everyone else off.

Shrek
Shrek

zgred wrote:Image
Those are some big second element wings
Spencer

bosanac1
bosanac1

hate to be the bad guy here

but have the source on Hispania using steel brakes.

WimmelF1
WimmelF1

bosanac1 wrote:hate to be the bad guy here

but have the source on Hispania using steel brakes.
Just look at the pictures at page 7, that's enough proof...