Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
csponton
csponton

Re: Ferrari F10

Ferrari to evaluate F-duct in practice

Ferrari will evaluate an F-duct on its car in practice for the Chinese Grand Prix tomorrow, AUTOSPORT has learned, as teams clamber to close down the straightline advantage enjoyed by McLaren.

BMW Sauber is the only outfit that has so far been able to successfully copy the McLaren concept, which provides a straightline speed boost through the driver closing off a valve in the cockpit that helps stall the rear wing.

Although teams all set about working on their versions of the F-duct, the fact that the McLaren has been so quick in speed traps so far this year has brought some added urgency to teams getting it onto their machines.

Sources close to Ferrari have revealed that the team is making preparations to evaluate a duct on Fernando Alonso's car during Friday's free practice session in Shanghai.

It is not clear yet how the Ferrari system is incorporated onto the F10, or if the concept is at an advanced enough stage to be raced in the Chinese Grand Prix.

Ferrari's decision comes after Felipe Massa admitted in the build-up to this weekend's race that he was concerned about the advantage McLaren was enjoying from the F-duct.

"It's a nice circuit to drive and the extremely long straight leading into a tight corner means there is a real possibility to overtake," said Massa.

"However, we will need to be careful on that straight this year, because we have seen that the McLaren in particular has a very high top speed, so in case of a close battle with them we will have to be careful and ready to defend position."

Team-mate Fernando Alonso said on Thursday that he would welcome the device.

"It will be an advantage, no doubt," Alonso said. "It is one of the longest straights in the championship and we know how efficient the McLaren is on the straights and what their top speed in the first races was.

"We saw McLaren very competitive in Malaysia, especially with Lewis [Hamilton] in the dry. But I still think that Red Bull will have a little advantage over everybody again here."

The Spaniard claimed, however, that the F-duct was not a top priority for his team.

"I know that we keep developing the car, but it's not maybe the first priority for us, that system. We keep working on our philosophies. There is an important step here to improve the car, and I know that there is more coming in the next races. I'm not specifically worried only about that system."

Other teams are also close to giving the green light to introducing the system - with Williams also possibly looking at evaluating a 'blown rear wing' in Shanghai this weekend.

AUTOSPORT understands Mercedes may also run its own decide in Friday's practice.

timbo
timbo

raymondu999 wrote:I guess Renault really has quite an aggressive development plan going on, even Ferrari's copying it!!
That is what cool about modern F1. Everyone is pushing an envelope and sometimes you see top-guys copying those behind them.

ringo

any changes?
For Sure!!

Blackout

Read previous page

Astro1
Astro1

Behold the diffuser of death? :shock: LOL or is it the angle?

raymondu999

I think you're seeing the beam wing which gives it a false size perspective
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

hollus

That f-duct really does not look driver controllable. And it caused an engine to blow-up ;-)
Rivals, not enemies.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

As far as I understand, the F-duct on the Macca has two inlets, the one on the engine inlet and the one on the tub. The on the tub is the control inlet and the top one is the one that produces the air that is actually blown. So there should be another inlet near the driver area. Not sure though..

BorisTheBlade

They removed the Duct for FP2.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

New vanes between the front tires?

raymondu999

I don't think anyone would put up a non-driver controlled duct. If they left it always on, then they could just not put that much wing in the first place. If it goes on and off by some trigger other than the driver, then it would be too unpredictable.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

RW slot

Blackout

imightbewrong wrote:http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... medium.jpg

No, but new cooling channel copied from mclaren in the rear of the car (exiting from the air box and sitting on the rear beam)...

ringo

Blackout wrote:
imightbewrong wrote:http://motorsport.nextgen-auto.com/gall ... medium.jpg

No, but new cooling channel copied from mclaren in the rear of the car (exiting from the air box and sitting on the rear beam)...

It's part of the f duct system. That decides what speed the duct works when in passive mode. In this case the ferrari's f duct is always passive. Very critical.
check out this thread for all the possible theories: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8028&start=960
I don't expect them to find much benefit with the f duct throughout the season since the driver cannot control it.
For Sure!!