Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
wesley123
wesley123

Re: Ferrari F10

ElRebelde wrote:Looking at the shape of the sharkfin, I'd suggest something like this

But that assumes the duct behind the airbox really has anything to do with the rearwing
ehhm logic? if that was the case there would be no useful thing of it, afterall it is always blowing as you showed. When the duct is inactive an valve closes the pipe to the rear wing and instead the air flows through a pipe to the crashbox
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

donskar
donskar

Mr.G wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Donskar
Seriously have to ask the question why are the engines this year, which are intrinsically the same as last years, so unreliable?
This year the car carry 150kg on the start instead of 65kg. Yes you can say for the whole race it's almoust the same amount of fuel like last year, but it isn't the same due to the 3 phases of the race. And also hte load of engine during the race is differetn.

Last year they carry cca 1/3 65L - 2/3 45L - 3/3 30L
This year they carry cca 1/3 150L - 2/3 80L - 3/3 30L

I don't think it's the same load for the engine, so it need to work harder.
And if the engine was designed for meeting the requriments from last year and was bring to limit, then the ralibility problems are possible.

Last yers - It's like you ran Marathon and during the run you can refresh by fresh water on stops...
This year - It't like you ran marathon and you must carry all your refreshments with you from beginign to the end...
Thank you, Mr.G. Of course, your well-thought out response will fall on deaf ears (a symptom of rabies, no?) -- which is why I usually choose to ignore a lot of posters.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Yes deaf ears......

Perhaps those rose tinted glasses are better?

Ferrari knew the requirements. So in effect what you are saying is that Ferrari missed the boat with their engine? I can accept that.
But I can sure as hell gurantee that the changes made pushed power up.
How convenient......

I suppose that will fall on deaf ears too
More could have been done.
David Purley

drag
drag

I find this video on another forum,interesting how Ferrari drivers actvate f-duct.....I dont know if it was posted before :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAQVIICLdVY
BMW POWER!!!

got skills

flynfrog

drag wrote:I find this video on another forum,interesting how Ferrari drivers actvate f-duct.....I dont know if it was posted before :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAQVIICLdVY
I didn't see anything other than adjusting the brake balance

Tonn
Tonn

Driving with one hand is probably not the best idea

Mysticf1
Mysticf1

Its quite clear he is holding the backside of his glove/hand against the side of the cockpit while driving one handed and changing brake bias with the opposite hand...not the best solution from the drivers point of view surely.

Edit: driving one handed is one thing but during those bias changes its "look mum no hands!!"
Last edited by Mysticf1 on 07 May 2010, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.

drag
drag

I agree it look scary at times ,driving with one hand especially when he overtakes or follow other cars.

....and flynfrog he is not adjusting the brakes,you can see clearly that he moves his hand from the very exit of the corner when longer straight follows.
BMW POWER!!!

got skills

Afterburner

How many gp's until FIA ban the F-duct due to safety reasons?

drag
drag

Its quite stupid thing to do if they change bias with the right hand,like Alonso did on this video.....he tries to maximize the time to operate blown wing and with that driving no handed for a moment.
they should not jeopardize safety this way.
BMW POWER!!!

got skills

ElRebelde
ElRebelde

wesley123 wrote:ehhm logic? if that was the case there would be no useful thing of it, afterall it is always blowing as you showed. When the duct is inactive an valve closes the pipe to the rear wing and instead the air flows through a pipe to the crashbox
ehhm, a valve would be illegal!

There has to be a duct bleeding it into the cockpit which can be closed off by the driver, therefore the duct has to head in that direction in some way. The bulge of the upper half of the shark fin clearly indicates there is a duct angling down from the rear wing.

Rikhart
Rikhart

What a funky and dangerous placement of the hole, couldnt they set it back and down, and make it elbow operated or something? That wouldnt require one hand on wheel antics, at least.

Tim.Wright

Dangerous!!??

Seriously, come on guys, it wasnt that long ago drivers used to change gears with their hands.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

hollus

Alonso also usually drives only with his knees after winning races. :)
Rivals, not enemies.

King Six
King Six

I'm surprised how early it's applied. You can see him covering the hole whilst he's still well into exiting the corner (turn 16). I'm not quite sure how much downforce is actually lost when the flap starts to get blown, but it's probably not as dramatic as I thought if he can apply it so early whilst on the corner like that, I guess.

You don't really need two hands to drive on a straight anyway, It is interesting though as most drivers use their left hands to adjust the brake bias on the straights so it must be somewhere else then for Alonso...

I can't really see from the video his other hand adjusting the brake bias. But he's not going totally hands free, he's still using his left thumb to control the car. :)

The part of that video I'm talking about is around 1:00 into the video