Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Mr Alcatraz

Re: Ferrari F10

No disrespect meamt @ Scarbs, but his Blog has gained a lot of traction (no pun intended) over the last 2 days on this site.
Would someone please present a link to any other News source. I can't find a single one, after searching over 20,000 sources.
Thanks in advance,
Il Mantovano Volante
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

autogyro
autogyro

Sorry, no, my bad

The quote below was not originaly from me and I put it in the post incorrectly.

Wild attempt: the current valves seal the engine better than they used to. Thus, combustion might be more efficient and the compression ratio is increased. This could also allow running a more powerful mix for longer.

If it was originaly from Scarbs, I do not agree with it, for the reasons I have posted.
Ferrari have increased the power of their engine by using a problem that could have been fixed by fitting a larger gas cylinder, as an excuse to undertake other engine modification.

flynfrog

autogyro wrote:Sorry flyn-frog, if Nascar are lossing 300 hp from valve train operation then the engines should be scrapped and proper engines used. I doubt you would be able to turn them over to start them.

If Ferrari reduced the pressure in the (nitrogen) pneumatic valve spring system, the valves would bounce. That is unless they over pressured the original system, which would put way to much load on the cam lobe to valve contact area.
In any case all that would be needed to alter this, would be a variation in the Nitrogen feed line external to the engine.
you do realize that hp is a function of RPM don't you?

autogyro
autogyro

flynfrog wrote:
autogyro wrote:Sorry flyn-frog, if Nascar are lossing 300 hp from valve train operation then the engines should be scrapped and proper engines used. I doubt you would be able to turn them over to start them.

If Ferrari reduced the pressure in the (nitrogen) pneumatic valve spring system, the valves would bounce. That is unless they over pressured the original system, which would put way to much load on the cam lobe to valve contact area.
In any case all that would be needed to alter this, would be a variation in the Nitrogen feed line external to the engine.
I you are talking about valve train friction, it does not work as simply as that.

flynfrog

autogyro wrote:
flynfrog wrote:

I you are talking about valve train friction, it does not work as simply as that.
I never said it was that simple. Real world testing on the other hand shows it takes about 300hp to turn a nascar v8 valve train to 8000rpm. Is it all that surprising in an engine that makes 800 hp.

So I don't find it that hard to believe that Ferrari could have found 15 hp or what ever the random guessed number is by reducing some valve train mass or friction.

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

f1speculation.net
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

flynfrog

Jersey Tom wrote:f1speculation.net
:lol: pretty much.

autogyro
autogyro

So what has valve train friction got to do with using to much gas????
The valve train is not directly effected by the gas valve springs, only the valve is and that must have been ok in qualifying in all this years races so far.

flynfrog

autogyro wrote:So what has valve train friction got to do with using to much gas????
The valve train is not directly effected by the gas valve springs, only the valve is and that must have been ok in qualifying in all this years races so far.
maybe when they redesigned the seal it allowed them to use less spring pressure or lower the mass of the valve train. Like JT said its all speculation. But its much more thought provoking them screaming: Ferarriririri are Cheaters!!!!!!!!!!

autogyro
autogyro

No it is not. If this were not the case, the technical discusion would have been killed stone dead by the Toffosi.
Their technical arguments did not stand up and still do not.

So again, Why would redesigning the valve gas spring seals require a change in the mass or design of anything else on the valve train?
How could such a change result in an increase in power?
These are simple technical questions about F1 technology on the F1 technology site. Why is there a problem with this?

flynfrog

autogyro wrote:No it is not. If this were not the case, the technical discusion would have been killed stone dead by the Toffosi.

So again, Why would redesigning the valve gas spring seals require a change in the mass or design of anything else on the valve train?
These are simple technical questions about F1 technology on the F1 technology site. Why is there a problem with this?
do you need a diagram

no body said it was required. This is how to gain performance under making the engine more reliable.

ecapox

What pretty much seals the deal for me is that Ferrari presented this to the FIA technical group as well as ALL the other teams. Everyone Ok'd it and the HP gains are speculation...nothing more. This leads me to believe that there is an understanding, between teams, that any reliability fixes can, and will, result in small HP gains. Everyone directly affected is OK with that...except armchair F1 team principles and engineers found on the internet.

Ultimately this is good for ALL teams. Imagine if teams blocked reliabilty fixes because they believed that it would increase overall engine performance by a few HP? 10 cars would finish races and everyone here would be complaining about what a boring season this is.

autogyro
autogyro

ecapox wrote:What pretty much seals the deal for me is that Ferrari presented this to the FIA technical group as well as ALL the other teams. Everyone Ok'd it and the HP gains are speculation...nothing more. This leads me to believe that there is an understanding, between teams, that any reliability fixes can, and will, result in small HP gains. Everyone directly affected is OK with that...except armchair F1 team principles and engineers found on the internet.

Ultimately this is good for ALL teams. Imagine if teams blocked reliabilty fixes because they believed that it would increase overall engine performance by a few HP? 10 cars would finish races and everyone here would be complaining about what a boring season this is.
I disagree completely. Of course some work for reliability can result in an increase in power output but not on this issue. Fota is the problem with enforcing this regulation. Ferrari and the other top teams are still holding a gun to the smaller teams with their so called gentlemens agreements. It is easier and less damaging for the smaller teams to agree and not make waves. It is exactly the same with any regulations needed to reduce aero and downforce.

Mr Alcatraz

autogyro wrote:No it is not. If this were not the case, the technical discusion would have been killed stone dead by the Toffosi.

Let me ask you a practical question.
I'm guessing you are a Technical Yoda that has a personal relationship with the Internal Combustion Engine Spirits.
(Scarbs as well) I think your hypothesis may be right. However there are other Engineers that design, and build F1 Lumps as we speak.
I only take exception to the members on this forum that are cock sure that this 12bhp increase is written in stone, and is clearly cheating.
I have searched high and low and I cannot find any other news source that makes a mention of Ferrari's contravention of the rules.
Do you have any explanation why this is?
Have Ferrari sent a couple guys from Palermo to every other F1 Factory and intimated if they rat them out they will be swimming with the fishes, sporting brand new concrete Puma's?
If so, Link Please?
Those who believe in telekinetics raise my hand

autogyro
autogyro

flynfrog wrote:

do you need a diagram

no body said it was required. This is how to gain performance under making the engine more reliable.
You realise that you are now saying that Ferrari are cheating?