Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Confused_Andy
Confused_Andy

Re: Ferrari F10

A lot of other teams have it above the steering wheel.

EL_XR6
EL_XR6

Belatti wrote:Both Ferraris have it, but not the other cars.
I havent seen any shot from there if that is a camera.

And I dont know if that is an aero relevant place to place a camera.
I noticed Mark Webber had one on the RB6 on the right mirror at Monaco.

bonjon1979
bonjon1979

Skunk0001 wrote:
Ferrari.com wrote:The F10’s development programme continues apace: Turkey should see the debut of an evolution of the software controlling the blown rear wing and other important advances will be introduced by the end of June
Source: http://www.ferrari.com/English/News/For ... brief.aspx

This was mentioned by James Allen in his blog, questioning "Is this Ferrari being provocative?" and he said he would look into what it, so hopefully it'll be clear soon.
http://www.jamesallenonf1.com

Maybe they mean the soft pad on the back of the gloves the drivers wear...
Could it be the software that's used to calibrate the device? I would assume they have to have quite accurate wind speed measurements to be able to correctly make the digital fluidic switch thingymagig (technical term) work. From what I gather the wing was stalling when they didn't want it to and they were losing downforce in the corners. Which would suggest they've not quite cracked the switching of air flow.

autogyro
autogyro

Anyone else considered that the Alonso crash in free practice might well have been an inability of Alonso to control the blown rear wing?
If it was, it shows up a very real safety issue.
Of course IMO uncontrolled aero is an unsafe way to develop F1 cars anyway.

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

autogyro wrote:Anyone else considered that the Alonso crash in free practice might well have been an inability of Alonso to control the blown rear wing?
If it was, it shows up a very real safety issue.
Of course IMO uncontrolled aero is an unsafe way to develop F1 cars anyway.
Considering it was not used in Moncao, I'd say no, definitely not.
Last edited by Steven on 20 May 2010, 00:24, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed following posts about Ferrari F-duct at Monaco. No it wasn't used :)

imightbewrong
imightbewrong

Check the image of the crashed car yourself and see if they have the ducted engine cover:

peteskar

Although it was many years ago and none of the current drivers saw this believe it or not F1 cars had gear levers like a road car. I would not say the taking 1 hand off the wheel to adjust a duct is a huge safety issue and very doubtful the cause of Alonso's crash. I think indy cars still do remove there hands to shift with out any issues.
“… the last time someone was as wrong as you, was when a politician stepped off an aeroplane in 1939 waving a piece of paper in the air saying there will be no war with Germany ”

- Jeremy Clarkson

flynfrog

peteskar wrote:Although it was many years ago and none of the current drivers saw this believe it or not F1 cars had gear levers like a road car. I would not say the taking 1 hand off the wheel to adjust a duct is a huge safety issue and very doubtful the cause of Alonso's crash. I think indy cars still do remove there hands to shift with out any issues.
Indy has had paddles for quite a while. But yes I agree there are 100s of racing series where the driver has to move a hand to shift.

autogyro
autogyro

peteskar wrote:Although it was many years ago and none of the current drivers saw this believe it or not F1 cars had gear levers like a road car. I would not say the taking 1 hand off the wheel to adjust a duct is a huge safety issue and very doubtful the cause of Alonso's crash. I think indy cars still do remove there hands to shift with out any issues.
I agree, Alonso is a top driver as are the others so he could easily remove a hand from the wheel without a crash.
However this is not what I meant. If Ferrari did try their f-duct, did it work incorrectly and dumped DF on the bend?

autogyro
autogyro

WhiteBlue wrote:
autogyro wrote: If Ferrari did try their f-duct, did it work incorrectly and dumped DF on the bend?
Take it from me if you take it from no one else: Ferrari wasn't using an F-duct in Monaco! I watched all three practise sessions.
Fair enough WB but would they have been checking out any aero mods on the rear wing?

raymondu999

Not flat actually. They had small winglets added on it for just that extra itty bitty bit of extra downforce.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

autogyro
autogyro

raymondu999 wrote:Not flat actually. They had small winglets added on it for just that extra itty bitty bit of extra downforce.
Realy, strange place for winglets and strange reason to join shark fin to rear wing. Surely not moveable winglets for some reason.

thestig84
thestig84

autogyro wrote: Realy, strange place for winglets and strange reason to join shark fin to rear wing. Surely not moveable winglets for some reason.

Nothing strange about it. Just attaching it to the shark fin is a different way of supporting the small wing. No different to others we have seen like lotus

ecapox

<sarcasm>
It's pretty obvious that Alonso crashed because Ferrari is testing their "double f-duct" rear wing. Not only does he have to take his left hand off to open the flow to the left side, but he must do the same with his right hand and drive with a new system that only Ferrari has.

At the time of impact, both hands were off the wheel and he was driving with an autopilot system that the FIA only allow Ferrari to use. :roll:
</sarcasm>

Edited for sarcasm emphasis...
Last edited by ecapox on 19 May 2010, 23:47, edited 1 time in total.

Ciro Pabón

ecapox, autogyro, puh-leez. Your posts would be nice if they were smarter. I recommend to use this before posting for the umpteenth time what the forum with one voice tells you it's not true: http://www.google.com

I apologize if I sound impertinent but it's the third report I get because of "crappy posts" (and the first time I see that reason for reporting!).
Ciro