Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Carlo's
Carlo's

Re: Ferrari F10

mx_tifosi wrote:Was that during qualy? How can you tell which tyres everyone was on? In/out laps? Hot laps?
During FP2.

marcush.
marcush.

and Hamilton at 1.28.692 quickest ....so it is not he was not trying to be quick..

shamikaze
shamikaze

or you could say RB where testing their drivers and chassis to the limit in a section off the track where they knew they could make the diffference. Then just keep it a bit slower for the rest of the lap and you would not pop-up on the FP timing-sheets apart from somewhere in the mid-field.

Clever tactics from RB, surely, more teams will start to play it like this and only show their "hand" durinf qualifying. The rest is aimed at testing / develomment due to the strict limitation on testing allowed.

segedunum
segedunum

They've been concentrating too hard on that F-duct when it brings comparitively little time compared to what they're losing in downforce and cornering speed.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

^^ Which is confusing because what they lack the most is df. You would expect them to get their priorities in the correct order and not direct their [almost] complete attention on something that will only be around for one season. The car isn't all that different to what they started the season with, I know that this may not be all that important, but it highlights the fact that it hasn't seen sufficient development over the past seven GP's. IMO of course.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

timbo
timbo

I think they underestimated development pace of their rivals. Probably they've judged their performance after Bahrain and thought that adding F-duct would give them edge over RedBull in short term, while on long term they could concentrate on bigger package update. I wonder if that big update has something to do with pre-season rumors about F10B.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

What exactly does a B-spec mean? I think many of us have different definitions when it comes to F1. Different wheel base like Mercedes?

Either way, I don't expect a different car, but just as you said, a seriously major update which has been slated for Valencia.

They really need to churn out bigger, better, and more frequent updates if they want to improve, or at the very least not fall back any further. At the current rate they will keep on qualifying poorly and be in the constant battle of damage limitation.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

timbo
timbo

mx_tifosi wrote:What exactly does a B-spec mean? I think many of us have different definitions when it comes to F1. Different wheel base like Mercedes?
The rumor was about a huge diffuser with A3-paper sized holes, which would require some re-packaging.
Who knows.

Another interesting this was that they were right there with McLaren in terms of top-speed at Barcelona, and lost around 6-7 kph in Turkey, yet didn't seem to gain anything in DF.

Update for Valencia better work as planned...

marcush.
marcush.

timbo wrote:
mx_tifosi wrote:What exactly does a B-spec mean? I think many of us have different definitions when it comes to F1. Different wheel base like Mercedes?
The rumor was about a huge diffuser with A3-paper sized holes, which would require some re-packaging.
Who knows.

Another interesting this was that they were right there with McLaren in terms of top-speed at Barcelona, and lost around 6-7 kph in Turkey, yet didn't seem to gain anything in DF.

Update for Valencia better work as planned...

maybe again their engine woes coming back? or more power loss now with mileage due to the new parts?

timbo
timbo

marcush. wrote:maybe again their engine woes coming back? or more power loss now with mileage due to the new parts?
Loss of 7 kph would amount to more than 35bhp power loss. A bit too much IMO.

Italiano
Italiano

I'm sad to see that Ferrari has lost the ability to push the envelope. In their good days, they would come up with something in the grey area of the rules and made it work, nowadays I just get the feeling they do it 100% by the book and do not deviate. Just look at the front wing of the F10 and let's say an RBR or Renault one. The difference is apauling. They HAVE TO start making crazy stuff again, develope, garnish the car in bits that are right on the edge of legal and inly then results will come.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

Holm86

SchumacherM wrote:I'm sad to see that Ferrari has lost the ability to push the envelope. In their good days, they would come up with something in the grey area of the rules and made it work, nowadays I just get the feeling they do it 100% by the book and do not deviate. Just look at the front wing of the F10 and let's say an RBR or Renault one. The difference is apauling. They HAVE TO start making crazy stuff again, develope, garnish the car in bits that are right on the edge of legal and inly then results will come.
what about their front rims? or their gills in front of the exhausts?? i would call that grey area .... but you are right in that they are not as extreme as the double deck diffuser last year and the f-duct this year. its been a while since we've seen some true innovation from ferrari.

Italiano
Italiano

Granted, the wheels and some bits and pieces are there, but it has to be said, it's far from pushing the edge.
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

raymondu999

Yeah, it's hardly groundbreaking stuff like an F-duct or a pull-rod
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

segedunum
segedunum

timbo wrote:The rumor was about a huge diffuser with A3-paper sized holes, which would require some re-packaging.
Pre-season that's where everyone though performance would be gained, through a gigantic diffuser with some clever holes. Red Bull has completely blown that theory out of the water.