Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

Re: Vodafone Mclaren Mercedes MP4/25

De Jokke wrote:yes they did

Ferrari update ill only bring 3-4 tenths (is what I've read somewhere)
Not according to this report:

'Rumours are that it is worth as much as 0.7secs per lap - coincidentally about the average qualifying deficit Ferrari has had to Red Bull to date.

'Ferrari are said to have been staggered when they saw in the tunnel just how much this feature improved things.'

De Jokke

source?

I've read this one (it's dutch): http://www.formule1nieuws.nl/modules/ne ... ryid=32523

De Spaanse krant AS maakte melding dat de Ferrari in Valencia tot drie á vier tienden sneller zou zijn.
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

jason.parker.86
jason.parker.86

ringo

Re: Ferrari F10

This car has the best base for developement out of the top 4 teams.
It's very modular so it's easy to reposition an repackage, and it's also very svelte in the body.
can't wait to see the new exhaust pipes. They may have a new front wing as well, to balance off their new found down-force from the exhausts.
For Sure!!

Goran2812
Goran2812

if they can get atleast 0,5 sec from the package instead of the 0,7 they're talking about it will be good! can't wait for Valencia now!
Visit my photo page! -> http://www.gorankphoto.com/formula1

Richard
Richard

ringo wrote:This car has the best base for developement out of the top 4 teams.
It's very modular so it's easy to reposition an repackage, and it's also very svelte in the body.
I'm not sure how you can say that. Why is it any easier than another team?

Admittedly RB has such a distinctive approach that it appears to be more complex. However Newey probably looks at the others and thinks "They're so strange, how can they work with that? My car is easy to repackage"

Afterburner

According to AS, Ferrari will bring a totally new rear, similar to redbull, this includes rear wing, exausts and pull rod suspension. The gain has been estimated to 3/10-4/10 a lap.

Goran2812
Goran2812

they've managed to convert the suspension to pull-rod? interesting...

raceman

wouldn't that be too much and would change the whole basic structure of the car, i.e. changing to pull-rod suspension from push-rod?? regulations allow?

Goran2812
Goran2812

i think the regulations do allow that, but doesn't that change the whole geometry of the car?
it'll probably be an interesting friday in the ferrari garage...
let's hope their wind tunells are well calibrated XD

siskue2005

Pull rod is not possible
AS the Gearbox casing is Homologated ....so new points for Pullrod to attach is not achievable
and moreover it requires a crash test....so its not possible

aral
aral

siskue2005 wrote:Pull rod is not possible
AS the Gearbox casing is Homologated ....so new points for Pullrod to attach is not achievable
and moreover it requires a crash test....so its not possible
It is the casing that is homologated, so as to ensure that gear layout cannot be altered. However any decent designer would be able to design bolt-on brackets to take revised suspension mounting points, if required. Other teams, are capable of changing layout, so why not Ferrari?

Shaddock

Afterburner wrote:According to AS, Ferrari will bring a totally new rear, similar to redbull, this includes rear wing, exausts and pull rod suspension. The gain has been estimated to 3/10-4/10 a lap.
Valencia is another stop and start track like Canada, might have to wait until the likes of Silverstone before the benefits of this layout become fully apparent.

ringo

It's a misconception that pull rod suspension facilitates the redbull exhuast. The exhausts actually are completely below the lower control arm.
So ferrari have no worries keeping pushrods. What their focus will be on, is the space bellow the Lower A arm.
Another concern is reshaping the engine covers and lowering the exhuast gills for the new pipes.
For Sure!!

Blackout

ringo wrote:It's a misconception that pull rod suspension facilitates the redbull exhuast. The exhausts actually are completely below the lower control arm.
So ferrari have no worries keeping pushrods. What their focus will be on, is the space bellow the Lower A arm.
Another concern is reshaping the engine covers and lowering the exhuast gills for the new pipes.
Exactly.
And Red Bull uses pull rod for other (ingenious) purposes...

Even without redoing the entire back of the F10, I think they can copy Red bull's exhausts, but in this case, they will probably do compromises by widening the sidepods (because they'll abandon the current 'special' exhausts) and sacrify a some space over the floor. : P