Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Italiano
Italiano

Re: Ferrari F10

[-o< Big thanks =)
#Forza Michael #Forza Jules

DM0407
DM0407

IMO the lower exhaust has little effect on tyre temperature or diffuser effectiveness.
1. It simply allows the coke bottle shape to be perfected reducing drag and smooths airflow over the rear aero array.
The negative may be excess heat on the push rod suspension.
I do not think Ferrari will be able to add a pull rod system within the regulations and time frame.
2. I also believe that the FIA has allowed these shakedown runs in an attempt to get teams like Ferrari back up to speed for closer racing.
I would be worried that such a radical change at the rear might upset the aero balance without more work on the diffuser

Would the benefit of better airflow over the top of the car be worth running a pull rod suspension like red bull have been doing? I'm sure this is for the diffuser. Newey has done this in the past at Williams with a flat bottom car.

Autosport -
Although in-season testing is banned, teams are allowed to conduct limited 'promotional running' - which has been used by several outfits this year to try and get mileage on new parts.

CZOLG
CZOLG

I am quite curious about one thing.
Much has been talked at the beginning of the season about Ferrari's effort to lower the fuel consumption and the exhaust was supposed to play a big part in it. Now it's been radically changed. Did they find out consumption is not as big a problem as expected or did they manage to optimise it for the new location too?
race on sunday, sell on monday

Tim.Wright

There's no way in hell anyone on this board could give you the answer to that question.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

One thing i will say, and im not sure about this as well. I did hear that Red Bulls exaust driven diffuser (EDD) is about as difficult to control and optomise as the F-Duct.

As the power goes down the downforce increases, but when the power isnt going down, the downforce is difficult to control, and Newey has the control over it better than any other team out there.

The difficulty with the EDD is keeping the pressure centre of the car in relation to the floor and thus stability. Red Bull have the stability and the downforce, but i fear that teams looking for a simmilar result may just be upsetting their cars ballance and pressure centre for very little gain for their design.

aral
aral

CZOLG wrote:I am quite curious about one thing.
Much has been talked at the beginning of the season about Ferrari's effort to lower the fuel consumption and the exhaust was supposed to play a big part in it. Now it's been radically changed. Did they find out consumption is not as big a problem as expected or did they manage to optimise it for the new location too?
Ferrari , over the winter, had found a 10% saving in fuel consumption. This had nothing to do with exhaust manipulation, as there was no back pressure. (it is back pressure that stifles the engine). The answer was in new engine mapping and also in their valve control system, the one that gave problems at the start of the season. This has been rectified, and Ferrari engine is as economical as the Renault engine, and better than the Merc. Changing the exhaust system will make no difference, and in fact may improve the consumption further.

CZOLG
CZOLG

gilgen wrote: Ferrari , over the winter, had found a 10% saving in fuel consumption. This had nothing to do with exhaust manipulation, as there was no back pressure. (it is back pressure that stifles the engine). The answer was in new engine mapping and also in their valve control system, the one that gave problems at the start of the season. This has been rectified, and Ferrari engine is as economical as the Renault engine, and better than the Merc. Changing the exhaust system will make no difference, and in fact may improve the consumption further.
Intersting gilgen,
Sound plausible but I would swear there has been a talk about reshaped exhaust supposed to aid the fuel consumption somehow before the start of the season.
race on sunday, sell on monday

wesley123
wesley123

gilgen wrote:Ferrari , over the winter, had found a 10% saving in fuel consumption. This had nothing to do with exhaust manipulation, as there was no back pressure. (it is back pressure that stifles the engine). The answer was in new engine mapping and also in their valve control system, the one that gave problems at the start of the season. This has been rectified, and Ferrari engine is as economical as the Renault engine, and better than the Merc. Changing the exhaust system will make no difference, and in fact may improve the consumption further.
I doubt the Ferrari powerplants are as economical as the renaults engine, look at the ferrari powered cars, those are real battleships with their lengths, i dont know why that is needed if they are as economical as the incredibly short renault
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Gilles 27

About the consumation of fuel, Shell has say before this Saison begins, that they have make some big development and found good solutions, to reduce the big consumation that Ferrari Engine has at the last years.

Anyway, rumors says, that not only the Exhaust Position would be the updatet part, even the Diffusor would change from DD to DDD.
Remember? Ferrari has engaged at the end of 2009 an Ex Toyota engineer, he has a big Know-How about this part of the Car, and before Toyota quits they have found very intersting solution for the DDD.

Kasakolt
Kasakolt

Guys, remember this? In ferrari f2008....

timbo
timbo

wesley123 wrote:I doubt the Ferrari powerplants are as economical as the renaults engine, look at the ferrari powered cars, those are real battleships with their lengths, i dont know why that is needed if they are as economical as the incredibly short renault
They have oil tank in front of engine, behind fuel tank. Can be zillion things actually. Aero, weight balance etc...

aral
aral

wesley123 wrote:
gilgen wrote:Ferrari , over the winter, had found a 10% saving in fuel consumption. This had nothing to do with exhaust manipulation, as there was no back pressure. (it is back pressure that stifles the engine). The answer was in new engine mapping and also in their valve control system, the one that gave problems at the start of the season. This has been rectified, and Ferrari engine is as economical as the Renault engine, and better than the Merc. Changing the exhaust system will make no difference, and in fact may improve the consumption further.
I doubt the Ferrari powerplants are as economical as the renaults engine, look at the ferrari powered cars, those are real battleships with their lengths, i dont know why that is needed if they are as economical as the incredibly short renault
The length of the car has nothing to do with the fuel consumption! It is to do with the packaging and handling. Merc had to lengthen their wheelbase, but do you honestly think that this affected their fuel consumption??

Blackout

Kasakolt wrote:Guys, remember this? In ferrari f2008....

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/7393/0 ... e01dz9.jpg
have you another photo where we can see the whole rear-end of the F2008?

wesley123
wesley123

well it isnt a outlet for the exhaust, the F2008 always ran with the exhaust routed out on top with also a part seeable
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Blackout

wesley123 wrote:the F2008 always ran with the exhaust routed out on top with also a part seeable
I know, but what's that ?