Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
donskar
donskar

Re: Ferrari F10

autogyro wrote:The answer to your question PNSD is because there is a testing ban and it looks like Ferrari is again trying to gain an unfair advantage to the other teams.
Late, but this needs to be said -- from autosport.com:
Although in-season testing is banned, teams are allowed to conduct limited 'promotional running' - which has been used by several outfits this year to try and get mileage on new parts.
(emphasis added)
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

wesley123
wesley123

gilgen wrote:
wesley123 wrote:
gilgen wrote:Ferrari , over the winter, had found a 10% saving in fuel consumption. This had nothing to do with exhaust manipulation, as there was no back pressure. (it is back pressure that stifles the engine). The answer was in new engine mapping and also in their valve control system, the one that gave problems at the start of the season. This has been rectified, and Ferrari engine is as economical as the Renault engine, and better than the Merc. Changing the exhaust system will make no difference, and in fact may improve the consumption further.
I doubt the Ferrari powerplants are as economical as the renaults engine, look at the ferrari powered cars, those are real battleships with their lengths, i dont know why that is needed if they are as economical as the incredibly short renault
The length of the car has nothing to do with the fuel consumption! It is to do with the packaging and handling. Merc had to lengthen their wheelbase, but do you honestly think that this affected their fuel consumption??
You udnerstood me wrong. The cars are lenghtened to house the fuel tank, thus by the Ferrari powered teams being the fieds longest cars I am pretty sure their Engine is the most thirsty one, why else having such an long car?

@blackout; i think it is some electrical cooling hole or something, remember the ferrari had gills and cooling holes everywhere.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Asphalt_World
Asphalt_World

The length of the car is not directly related to the size of the fuel tank at all.

Some teams prefer a longer car because this helps with air flow and also tends to make the car handle better in fast corners. However shorter cars tend to be favoured on tight and twisty circuits.
My own website about Spa Francorchamps. The Greatest Circuit in the World.
http://visit-spa-francorchamps.page.tl/

Blackout

Willy Rampf said that Sauber decided to make a long C29 in order to have a more 'stable' air flow around the car and a greater floor for the ground effect...

Renault decided to widen the fuel tank instead of lengthening it considerably. They wanted a short car, maybe for the sake of a rigidity and lightness.
Last edited by Blackout on 22 Jun 2010, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

wesley123
wesley123

Asphalt_World wrote:The length of the car is not directly related to the size of the fuel tank at all.

Some teams prefer a longer car because this helps with air flow and also tends to make the car handle better in fast corners. However shorter cars tend to be favoured on tight and twisty circuits.
okay, tell me where you want to go when you need a larger fuel tank but cant go wider(due too cooling for example)? You can go higher, but wich stupid would want to do that? It will give you an higher CofG and the difference between a full and empty tank would be much more different. Thus you can only make the car longer.

Sure, it would also have aerodynamicly an effect, but why built an really long car when it isnt needed? Afterall you will need spacers for example to connect everything well, you will loose rigity, to overcome those you add weight, weight that could been used as balast.

ecapox

donskar wrote:
autogyro wrote:The answer to your question PNSD is because there is a testing ban and it looks like Ferrari is again trying to gain an unfair advantage to the other teams.
Late, but this needs to be said -- from autosport.com:
Although in-season testing is banned, teams are allowed to conduct limited 'promotional running' - which has been used by several outfits this year to try and get mileage on new parts.
(emphasis added)
Dont feed the Anti-Ferrari troll. In every Ferrari thread he comes in a whines about how Ferrari cheats or Ferrari lies or Ferrari steals from children. It's pointless.

It will be interesting to see what other things have changed in valencia when we can get a closer look at the car. I bet there is a lot of change happening to the floor and diffusor.

Asphalt_World
Asphalt_World

Are you ignoring my post and the other post just under my earlier one that gives reasons why some teams go for cars that are a little longer?

Did Mercedes make their car longer during this season?!!! Was it to fit more fuel in? No. It was to alter the cars handling characteristics.

Giblet
Giblet

Asphalt_World wrote:Are you ignoring my post and the other post just under my earlier one that gives reasons why some teams go for cars that are a little longer?

Did Mercedes make their car longer during this season?!!! Was it to fit more fuel in? No. It was to alter the cars handling characteristics.
It has been well documented that most teams made their cars longer to accommodate the bigger fuel tanks. This is a fact unfortunately.

Teams don't make their cars longer and shorter for handling characteristics anymore, they screw with the wheelbase instead. Mercedes is an example of this.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Asphalt_World
Asphalt_World

Giblet wrote:
Asphalt_World wrote:Are you ignoring my post and the other post just under my earlier one that gives reasons why some teams go for cars that are a little longer?

It has been well documented that most teams made their cars longer to accommodate the bigger fuel tanks. This is a fact unfortunately.

Teams don't make their cars longer and shorter for handling characteristics anymore, they screw with the wheelbase instead. Mercedes is an example of this.
They play with the wheelbase which is what Mercedes have done I believe. They made their car longer by doing this to aid handling and not to expand the fuel tank which of course lives within the wheelbase of a car.

I am not saying Ferrari are not thirsty as this is pretty much accepted, however I have not read anything that puts across the argument that Ferrari wished their car was shorter but were forced in to the length they have because of the fuel tank.

Giblet
Giblet

You sound very sure of yourself, source? No?

You will find most people on this site don't make things up as they go along, they gather their information from a variety of sources. Some of our people actually work in motorsport, some even in F1.

Here is the proof, and if you were to google yourself, you would find more than just this Wiki citation.

The 2010 season cars are about 22 cm longer than 2009 cars to accommodate the enlarged fuel tank this necessitates.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Asphalt_World
Asphalt_World

I have never said that cars this year are not longer because of the fuel tank. I knew that about a year ago or whenever the banning on fuel stops was confirmed.

However I personally have not read anything that proves to me that the Ferrari is as short as possible and would have been shorted if it could have had a smaller fuel tank.

Oh, and despite my dire amount of posts on this forum, I have been reading it on a regular basis for years.

I also have a brother-in-law that works in F1 as a CFD engineer.

aral
aral

My goodness, the fuss about the length of the car! Yes, all cars are longer this year, to accommodate larger fuel tanks, but this in no way "proves" that one car is thirstier than another! The cars are packaged differently, and even then, they do not have to run with full tanks, just enough to do the race. Mclaren ran without full tanks to try and gain a weight advantage, and it nearly backfired! Who knows the exact capacity of each cars tank, and who knows exactly how much fuel is in each, for a race? And then again, what is the criteria for a cars length? Has a car a shorter nose got a larger fueltank, but is still shorter than another car?
If Ferrari had to build a larger car to accommodate a larger tank, they could shorten the wheelbase quite easily, so as to make no difference. The simple fact is that with the new formulation of fuel, and other improvements, the Ferrari engine is no hirstier than any other engine. But who cares. As long as the Ferrari can be competitive, it doesn't matter a jot, about the fuel tank or consumption!

wesley123
wesley123

gilgen wrote:My goodness, the fuss about the length of the car! Yes, all cars are longer this year, to accommodate larger fuel tanks, but this in no way "proves" that one car is thirstier than another! The cars are packaged differently, and even then, they do not have to run with full tanks, just enough to do the race. Mclaren ran without full tanks to try and gain a weight advantage, and it nearly backfired! Who knows the exact capacity of each cars tank, and who knows exactly how much fuel is in each, for a race? And then again, what is the criteria for a cars length? Has a car a shorter nose got a larger fueltank, but is still shorter than another car?
If Ferrari had to build a larger car to accommodate a larger tank, they could shorten the wheelbase quite easily, so as to make no difference. The simple fact is that with the new formulation of fuel, and other improvements, the Ferrari engine is no hirstier than any other engine. But who cares. As long as the Ferrari can be competitive, it doesn't matter a jot, about the fuel tank or consumption!
Well actually it is, cars have to run the whole race without a fuel stop, thus they need a tank that can handle the needed amount of fuel, so it is most likely to be that the longest cars(lets state that the center of the suspension that is connected to the car are the wheelbaese) are the ones with the biggest tank thus the hihgest consumption.

The Ferrari cant offer it like Renault to go wider, as it will comprimise cooling, wich the ferrari cant as it is already way troo mcuh on the limit, so it would not be an option to do so. Great example is the virgin, wich only went in length, so they could built smaller radiator intakes

Boost
Boost

Asphalt_World wrote:The length of the car is not directly related to the size of the fuel tank at all.

I suggest you have a look at Scarbs site and the bit about length of wheelbase and handling on tight circuits. Wheelbase doesn't really factor into this at all.

siskue2005

wesley123 wrote:
gilgen wrote:My goodness, the fuss about the length of the car! Yes, all cars are longer this year, to accommodate larger fuel tanks, but this in no way "proves" that one car is thirstier than another! The cars are packaged differently, and even then, they do not have to run with full tanks, just enough to do the race. Mclaren ran without full tanks to try and gain a weight advantage, and it nearly backfired! Who knows the exact capacity of each cars tank, and who knows exactly how much fuel is in each, for a race? And then again, what is the criteria for a cars length? Has a car a shorter nose got a larger fueltank, but is still shorter than another car?
Well actually it is, cars have to run the whole race without a fuel stop, thus they need a tank that can handle the needed amount of fuel, so it is most likely to be that the longest cars(lets state that the center of the suspension that is connected to the car are the wheelbaese) are the ones with the biggest tank thus the hihgest consumption.
The Merc is as short as Renault
The Mclaren is as long as Ferrari
Are you trying to say that Mclaren is more thirstier than Merc...even with the same engine? :?