Ferrari F10

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Morteza

Re: Ferrari F10

n smikle wrote:WAIT!!

Am I seeing two exhaust pipes per side here? (a Y pipe, one high and one low to the floor)

You mean these two?

"A fool thinks himself to be wise, but a wise man knows himself to be a fool."~William Shakespeare

PlatinumZealot

i was thinking like this

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

ahmedvortex
ahmedvortex

n smikle wrote:i was thinking like this

why not ? one for tires heating during the straight portion , and the other for the diffuser in the corner . i don't know if its legal or forbidden , but if its legal how can the teams engineers create to switch pipes ? Fara-night duct :arrow:

marcush.
marcush.

having hot air in front of the tyre to reduce drag is an idea someone metioned a few days ago...
to blow hot exhaust gas to the rears as ameans of tyre heating...I think it is not the big issue to get heat in the rears but in the fronts...and those surely get a better cooling by the air hitting the car..so balance shift would be likely..

gridwalker
gridwalker

ahmedvortex wrote:
n smikle wrote:i was thinking like this

why not ? one for tires heating during the straight portion , and the other for the diffuser in the corner . i don't know if its legal or forbidden , but if its legal how can the teams engineers create to switch pipes ? Fara-night duct :arrow:
I think that a mechanism to switch between alternative exhaust outlets would count as a variable geometry exhaust system, which is definitely banned (unless they have worked out a fluidic switching system with no moving parts).
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

Crabbia
Crabbia

i think the f10 is missing a piece of bodywork on the back end there and the exhaust exits are only at the bottom. compare the photos of the car in the garage above with the photos of the car running on the track on page 93 of this topic. there is a peice of black body work missing. thats why it looks unfinished. surprised that the diffuser hasnt changed that much, although it is only the rear view, we dont know what they have done further in.

Also see how ehausts from the heat exhangers exits just above the engine exhausts. maybe this was done to mitigate the effect of the change in flow of the exhaust flow. so you have the flow of the heat exchangers that is relative to the speed of the car merging with the exhaust flow that is relative to the engine revs flowing together towards the diffuser.
Last edited by Crabbia on 24 Jun 2010, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.
A wise man once told me you cant polish a turd...

ahmedvortex
ahmedvortex

marcush. wrote:having hot air in front of the tyre to reduce drag is an idea someone metioned a few days ago...
to blow hot exhaust gas to the rears as ameans of tyre heating...I think it is not the big issue to get heat in the rears but in the fronts...and those surely get a better cooling by the air hitting the car..so balance shift would be likely..
its true for rear tires heating , but they will not refuse to get instant heat especially on the wet condition . for the front tires heating ,i'll put on an improved cooling system which enter - exit the air in the same side of the tires , and reject the hot air over the tire sidewall .

marcush.
marcush.

ahmedvortex wrote:
marcush. wrote:having hot air in front of the tyre to reduce drag is an idea someone metioned a few days ago...
its true for rear tires heating , but they will not refuse to get instant heat especially on the wet condition . for the front tires heating ,i'll put on an improved cooling system which enter - exit the air in the same side of the tires , and reject the hot air over the tire sidewall .
but the trouble was getting heat into the carcass not the surface...

Or more specifically ,working the tyre carcass not heating it..wich is only giving you the result of heat as a common....
I think this is one of the big misconceptions:bringing heat into the tyre is not the same as working the tyre wich releases energy in form of heat...not the heat does make it work ,the result is the tyre gets warm as it is worked!

autogyro
autogyro

Not clever to exhaust hot gas on the rear tyres.
Surface heating could damage the construction and might have been a problem for RB when they worked up their design.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

But wouldn't each tip/pipe be narrower because of the splitting into two? If in fact there are two per side, because to me they seem a bit too normally sized in cross section.

I'm going to wait until Friday or better yet quali to start believing in this magical EDD.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

adam2007
adam2007

why cant they run 2 pipes from exhaust takes some of the heat and throws it on onto the front tyres?

timbo
timbo

adam2007 wrote:why cant they run 2 pipes from exhaust takes some of the heat and throws it on onto the front tyres?
Thing about the weight and piping losses such contraption must produce.

wesley123
wesley123

It can surely be used to heat the rear tires, remember, Renault did same in 2008 in hte case of tire management so they could do longer runs. With the ban of fuel stops such an thing would be pretty logical to do, as you have to stop one time less for example or later due to the tire wich can do more laps. How you look at it, such an device can simply gain you alot of track ime, if you have to stop one time less it will save you like 20 seconds, and then i havent even talked about the laps after an stop, where these tires are on their optimum temps sooner then other teams.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

autogyro
autogyro

IMO heating the rear tyres would not be an option.
First the tyres would only be heated on the outer surface and secondly control over the heating would be next to impossible.
The low exhaust outlets are close to the inner sidewalls of the rear tyres and I would guess the problem is to make sure these sidewalls do not get to hot.
There is no exhaust flow over the tyre tread surface anyway.

TheRMVR

wesley123 wrote:It can surely be used to heat the rear tires, remember, Renault did same in 2008 in hte case of tire management so they could do longer runs. With the ban of fuel stops such an thing would be pretty logical to do, as you have to stop one time less for example or later due to the tire wich can do more laps. How you look at it, such an device can simply gain you alot of track ime, if you have to stop one time less it will save you like 20 seconds, and then i havent even talked about the laps after an stop, where these tires are on their optimum temps sooner then other teams.
`
Do you actually believe yourself?